Hacking Upgrading from R4, Can't decide.

Jundeezy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea I am one of those guys who needs advice. I am finally upgrading from an R4 and I can't decide what to get. I am deciding on the Supercard and the CycloDS, I am kind of leaning towards the CycloDS, but it keeps pushing me back to the Supercard because of its price. I want to know if the price for the CycloDS is worth it. What are some features of the CycloDS? I heard of this new in game text reader, I am not too sure what that is.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only feature that Cyclo has and Supercard doesn't is Wii connectivity.

The only feature that Supercard has and Cyclo doesn't is in-game cheat menu.

loz_the_guru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive just upgraded from an R4, and like you couldnt decide between the SCDS1 and the Cyclo.

Went for the cyclo in the end, for two main reasons. Firstly, having watched a few videos on youtube the cyclo menu is much, MUCH quicker than the scds1 (which is slower than your current R4). Secondly I have an ez flash 3-in-1, and the auto management feature really appealed to me.

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I upgraded from my R4 a couple of days ago which I did mostly through a lack of choice since my R4 was beginning to crash frequently and corrupt my save games. As a replacement I bought myself a Cyclo purely because I liked what was on offer for features and ease of use.

Now, I have no experience at all with the Supercard other than their old GBA carts which I was pleased with and have little doubt in my mind that their DS solutions make for very worthy replacements for the R4. I confess that I don't know very much about the DS solutions though so I don't know how easy the transition from an R4 would be. I assume it will be pretty straight forward.

I would definitely recommend the Cyclo for sure as an R4 replacement purely because making the transition was so simple. Plus, I was actually in awe by the pure difference the Cyclo made. Highly recommended.

As for the in-game text reader, basically it's just designed to allow you to read a txt file while you play a game. I suppose the prime reason would be using a page from Gamefaqs.com to read up on help while playing. It's a pretty minor feature but quite nice nevertheless. I haven't actually tried it myself yet. I have read it's a little sluggish atm too but it's only available in the Beta firmware for now so they will probably try and optinimize that as they go along.

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
I'm petitioning to get a firmware update for R4 to allow wii connectivity. i might decide to add more reasons to this petition like the in game cheat thing.

I'm pretty sure the R4 is incapable of the majority of the things that the CycloDS can do. The R4 would probably need it's chip upgraded first which would require a new unit anyway. The hardware is just too old and out-dated. I wouldn't hold my breath for either of those features, let alone most of the other ones the Cyclo has.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
loz_the_guru said:
Ive just upgraded from an R4, and like you couldnt decide between the SCDS1 and the Cyclo.

Went for the cyclo in the end, for two main reasons. Firstly, having watched a few videos on youtube the cyclo menu is much, MUCH quicker than the scds1 (which is slower than your current R4). Secondly I have an ez flash 3-in-1, and the auto management feature really appealed to me.

These are now moot points. The SCDS1 has alternative loaders available (such as YSMENU) which are faster, AND have 3-in-1 support.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
8BitWalugi said:
I'm petitioning to get a firmware update for R4 to allow wii connectivity. i might decide to add more reasons to this petition like the in game cheat thing.

Petitioning for something that is: a) Never going to happen, likely due to hardware constraints and lack of support from the R4 team (b) Is already of dubious legality (i.e. the whole context of a flashcard).

Good Luck.

Jundeezy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, the people here are helpful as always. My decision is to buy a CycloDS judging from what you guys said even though it's a bit expensive. I will just sell my R4 to someone who doesn't know the actual price (or no experience with flash cards at all). I hope it is worth it!

Oh and BTW I did recently get My Pokemon Ranch and realized my R4 can't connect to it, so there is another reason why i am getting it.
grog.gif

EDIT: Can someone answer another quick question? If I was to get a MircoSDHC is there anything specific that I should be looking for?

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only advice I can personally give on the Micro SDHC front is that it will probably be more helpful to have a read up on the Team Cyclops forum to see what cards users recommend. As far as I'm aware, the Sandisk cards are apparently very good from what I have read so far, but again, I'm not particularly knowledgable on that subject. I hope my vague assistance helps you nevertheless.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well one good thing about the Cyclo is that it's not dependant on fast SD(HC) cards, like the Supercard. Every Class 4 SDHC card should suffice.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, go with the Cyclo.

I have a SCDS1 myself, but I was disappointed with their latest updates.

Still an excellent card, but the team is not fixing the GUI issues, the barely usable cheat menu, ugly green text, SAV formats, etc.

The main reason I picked it was for the RTS, which is excellent, SDHC, and the Multi-save. At least it can do these three perfectly...

Jundeezy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, it seems it is worth the price. I guess it's not too bad since I will be getting a whole bunch of games that would cost me way more if I actually bought it.

The RTS seems like a nice feature and the many others it has.

Gommle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a Cyclo and I would recommend it to others.

I don't know much about other flashcarts, but here are some features on the Cyclo:

Turn on/off all cheats in-game.
Save state in-game. (Only 1 save, but multiple saves will probably be added some time in the future.)
In-game text reader. (In the newest beta.)
Soft-reset from all games and homebrew.
Adjust lcd-light in-game.

Gimmicks you'll never need:
Random skin selection on boot

The only bug I've found is that Cyclo (FFTA2) -> FFTA1 (original cart) connectivity doesn't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1