upgrade windows 7 but keeping it?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
if i upgrade will i be able to boot windows 7 or go back if i decide?

i didnt wanted to ruin my current setup.. and i am kinda scared windows 10 will be a headache...
my computer is not recent.. about 4 or 5 years old... and i had used tweaks like registry hacks and disable services to have a "better experience"

i wanted to avoid reformatting or cleaning windows 7.. since i lost track of what i done so far and didnt wanted to loose anything...

and i also have a not legitimate copy, which i am kinda worried windows 10 will know i had used activation tools..

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

i didnt wanted to ruin my current setup.. and i am kinda scared windows 10 will be a headache...
my computer is not recent.. about 4 or 5 years old... and i had used tweaks like registry hacks and disable services to have a "better experience"

i wanted to avoid reformatting or cleaning windows 7.. since i lost track of what i done so far and didnt wanted to loose anything...

and i also have a not legitimate copy, which i am kinda worried windows 10 will know i had used activation tools..
Windows 7 and beyond can be backed up with built-in tools so if you don't like 10 you should be able to just restore from the backup you made.

Seroczynski

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you do not have a legit Windows 7, what's keeping you from doing that trick again?

You won't be able to "downgrade" back to Windows 7. You either go for 10 and stick to it, or reinstall Windows 7 from a clean install. I didn't know about the backup-ability Monty Kensicle mentioned, my bad :shy:

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Windows 7 and beyond can be backed up with built-in tools so if you don't like 10 you should be able to just restore from the backup you made.
will that backup the whole thing? i never understood what exactly thoose backups "backup" or what not... since i disabled some services and got software settings\cache\temporary files i never understood if thoose are also backed up...

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
will that backup the whole thing? i never understood what exactly thoose backups "backup" or what not... since i disabled some services and got software settings\cache\temporary files i never understood if thoose are also backed up...
Go to "Control Panel" change "View by:" to "Small Icons"
Screenshot 2015-07-29 11.06.13.png
Then in the new Window click "Create System Image" on the left.
Screenshot 2015-07-29 11.06.29.png
A new window will open, it'll ask you where to save the backup. Windows will only save a system image to external media. Once you've picked your destination click "Next".
Screenshot 2015-07-29 11.06.41.png
Finally click "Start Backup"
Screenshot 2015-07-29 11.06.54.png
Afterwards it should prompt you to create a system boot disc to help restore the system image at boot time, that can be created on disc or flash memory.

Reactions: the_randomizer

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Go to "Control Panel" change "View by:" to "Small Icons"
View attachment 22317
Then in the new Window click "Create System Image" on the left.
View attachment 22318
A new window will open, it'll ask you where to save the backup. Windows will only save a system image to external media. Once you've picked your destination click "Next".
View attachment 22319
Finally click "Start Backup"
View attachment 22320
Afterwards it should prompt you to create a system boot disc to help restore the system image at boot time, that can be created on disc or flash memory.

thats not what i asked....
i know how to use it...
my question was what is backed up, and what is not backed up...

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
ok, thanks people,
anyway i decide just to upgrade it, backing up the whole thing would take a lot of time and trouble
the upgrade is fine and everything seems cool

but there is something that is bothering me, anyone know how to totally remove onedrive and specially OneNote?
this makes me think about thoose android phones full loaded with crapware impossible to remove...

in the old days we could go to program and features and remove lots of stuff :(

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At work we use Macrium to backup images to an external harddrive of windows installations. Makes it easier to install an OS on a bunch of the same computer.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, thanks people,
anyway i decide just to upgrade it, backing up the whole thing would take a lot of time and trouble
the upgrade is fine and everything seems cool

but there is something that is bothering me, anyone know how to totally remove onedrive and specially OneNote?
this makes me think about thoose android phones full loaded with crapware impossible to remove...

in the old days we could go to program and features and remove lots of stuff :(

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 268

loco365

Trophies
XP
At work we use Macrium to backup images to an external harddrive of windows installations. Makes it easier to install an OS on a bunch of the same computer.
+1 for Macrium. I used it prior to updating, and even though it puts everything in its own proprietary image format, it comes with an option to convert it to VHD which you can mount in Windows.

Edit: @Xenon Hacks How did you access that? I don't really make use of OneDrive, so disabling it would be really nice.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Does MS revoke your Win7 key when it has been upgraded to win10? If not then I guess you could always just reinstall Win7 from dvd and activate.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be easier to just dual boot both 7 and 10, or is there any reason you don't want to do that?

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Does MS revoke your Win7 key when it has been upgraded to win10? If not then I guess you could always just reinstall Win7 from dvd and activate.
apparently you can switch back to the previous version WITHIN A MONTH after upgrading...
i suppose it goes back exactly like i had it..

not sure if they give me the old key back or a new one\use the 10 one..

Wouldn't it be easier to just dual boot both 7 and 10, or is there any reason you don't want to do that?
whats what i kinda wanted...
and its probably what i will do.
will go back to windows 7, install a fresh 10 in dual boot so i can use the old 7 if i want to..

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Some people claim they've successfully activated Windows 10 after upgrading from a pirated Windows 7 install, but YMMV.
You'll be able to revert to Windows 7 for a month after the upgrade, why a month I have no idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?