Hacking Updating to 4.2..anything I should know first?

psiko74

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im using a 4.0 console with Bootmii on boot2 and Priiloader. Is there anything else I should install before hand? Should I use Waninkoko's installer?

ecw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why you want to go to 4.2 but the first thing I would do is make a Nand backup with BootMii as you have Boot2. The Wii's I have been modding that are below 4.1, have been updated to 4.1 using Pimp My Wii 1.32. Worked great for me.
smile.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you do the official update it will remove both preloader and bootmii and all cIOSes except 250. so reinstall those afterwards.
you can also update yourself with wads or a safe updater and just not install the boot2 and piracy prevention IOSes. you will still have to reinstall preloader since it is killed by installing the actual system menu.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should know that 4.2 sucks, it only existed originally to kill homebrew, and your wii could potentially brick because of the update. Bricks are STILL so common that people have bricked their consoles on their own, having nothing to do with 4.2, and Nintendo is willing to replace them at no cost. They are fully aware of the brick potential, and they don't care.

Waninkoko's updater stubs your IOS, and the official updater has the highest potential to brick your system. WAD install of the system menu & IOS70 is the safest method, but it's still not entirely safe....brick potential is still there.

Don't upgrade to 4.2. It's bad news, and you will not gain a single thing from doing so. 4.0 already has EVERYTHING 4.2 has, so what's the point?

Besides, like I said earlier, 4.2 was originally created with the sole purpose of killing homebrew....nothing else. That's the only difference......so why switch to something that could potentially ruin everything you've worked so hard to prevent?

Sabin_Figaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
lightyear said:
You should know that 4.2 sucks, it only existed originally to kill homebrew, and your wii could potentially brick because of the update. Bricks are STILL so common that people have bricked their consoles on their own, having nothing to do with 4.2, and Nintendo is willing to replace them at no cost. They are fully aware of the brick potential, and they don't care.

Waninkoko's updater stubs your IOS, and the official updater has the highest potential to brick your system. WAD install of the system menu & IOS70 is the safest method, but it's still not entirely safe....brick potential is still there.

Don't upgrade to 4.2. It's bad news, and you will not gain a single thing from doing so. 4.0 already has EVERYTHING 4.2 has, so what's the point?

Besides, like I said earlier, 4.2 was originally created with the sole purpose of killing homebrew....nothing else. That's the only difference......so why switch to something that could potentially ruin everything you've worked so hard to prevent?

here we go again... 4.2 update is safe if you use safe updater, and the brick potentioal is 0.000000000001%

Please use Safe Updater and you will preloader.

Moorclos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
3.2E
4.1E
4.2E only for those who use cioscorp v3.6 (and the ios 70 is the ios 60 in fact), with starpatch and/or preloader

no necessity to go on 4.2E

and as it was saying, upgrade the firmaware:

if you don't install ios 60 first for 4.1 (or 70 for 4.2) you brick your wii when installing the sysmenu because these ios are those used by thy sysmenu...
1: NusD; ios 60 or 70 pack in wad
2: wadmanager 1.5 install ios 60 or 70
3: NUs, sysmenu for 4.1
4: wadmanager...
(5: starpatch or other stuff)

Moorclos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
use NUS
make a wad of the last version, the V18
install it with wadmanager 1.5

else your are going to have an official update with the remove of the hacks

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sabin_Figaro said:
lightyear said:

here we go again... 4.2 update is safe if you use safe updater, and the brick potentioal is 0.000000000001%

Please use Safe Updater and you will preloader.
The point is, 4.2 is worthless. Tell me one thing 4.2 can't that 4.1 with a fully updated set of IOSes can't.

Give me just one good reason to upgrade from 4.1, and this is all over.

Oh, and the part you're referring to about the brick potential, I should have specified, but I meant using the Ninty official updater via the system settings menu. It's dangerous as all hell!!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
lightyear said:
The point is, 4.2 is worthless. Tell me one thing 4.2 can't that 4.1 with a fully updated set of IOSes can't.

Give me just one good reason to upgrade from 4.1, and this is all over.

4.1 and 4.2 can all do the same shit... but 4.1 runs on IOS60, and since it has been stubbed it is a lot easier to accidentally stub your system menu IOS if you are on 4.1 (or 4.0) rather than in 4.2. Most of the Apps that Brick Now brick people on 4.0 and 4.1 by installing a stub IOS60. With the proper brick protection you can recover from it, and if you know what you're doing u wont stub your IOS60 by accident anyways... but still, i think noobs on 4.1 are more likely to brick than noobs on 4.2

QUOTE(lightyear @ Jan 22 2010, 07:22 PM) TOh, and the part you're referring to about the brick potential, I should have specified, but I meant using the Ninty official updater via the system settings menu. It's dangerous as all hell!!

actually, Ninty update has become a lot more stable since September 09 when the 4.2 update was first released. It is said to now be ALMOST as safe as installing bootmii as boot2 (when it first came out in Sept 09, it was buggier and resulted in a lot of bricks... its better now)

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
does no one realize that 4.2 came out with 10+ IOS updates?

That's the only real benefit to 4.2.

JUst keep your IOS's updated and your wii will not fail you
biggrin.gif

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
does no one realize that 4.2 came out with 10+ IOS updates?

That's the only real benefit to 4.2.

JUst keep your IOS's updated and your wii will not fail you
biggrin.gif
I'm sure most of those are just stub IOS's.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lightyear said:

Exactly how I feel. Why would anyone want to update to 4.2? No noteworthy features. Shitty SD card menu. "Hurrr, I gotta have the latest version!"

Sometimes the latest version isn't the greatest. I'm not updating from 3.2 until N releases a REAL update with REAL features...or someone releases a nice sysmenu replacement. The idea behind Freedom is great, but it isn't finished.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E