Hacking Misc Updating the certificates on the DS/DSi browsers

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So I have a short thought some time ago about a possibility of a ROM hack or something that gives DS/DSi access to modern SSL/TLS websites. I'm curious about it and if it's possible.

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
im working on it. i extracted the dsi browser rom and found that the certificates are located in a folder labeled "ca" and i found that 14 of the certificates are expired so im going to try to find newer ones to replace them. hopefully it works
What is in the certificates and how could we somehow replace it with better and updated certificates?

theaxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is in the certificates and how could we somehow replace it with better and updated certificates?
i just looked looked for the name of the expired certificates and downloaded the newest certificate from the company who issued them. but now i have a issue that the certificates from google are in .crt or .pem and the ones from the rom are in .ca

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i just looked looked for the name of the expired certificates and downloaded the newest certificate from the company who issued them. but now i have a issue that the certificates from google are in .crt or .pem and the ones from the rom are in .ca
Can you rename it as .ca instead? Does it work?
Also, what tools do you use?

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So... I checked the files (Nintendo DS Browser) via Tinke 0.9.2 and I found out that the cert folder actually uses .pem files:
1650703646549.png

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's always possible it might be hardcoded to only use those specific certificate file names and that it might not be able to just dynamically load new ones.

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's always possible it might be hardcoded to only use those specific certificate file names and that it might not be able to just dynamically load new ones.
So i tried changing the files with exact filenames. Either it's true that they hardcoded it to the code, which is not my expertise or something... The only thing bothering me is the DSi browser.

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Some updates: I tried modifying the config file and recompile the DSi browser and that didn't do well. I used dslazy for this.
EDIT:
1650921334800.png

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There may be a config setting for this but there is no guarantee that they are even implemented in the code in the first place. Higher TLS versions being enabled and implemented wouldn't really matter anyway, because the browser still needs valid (non-expired) certificates for those sites to load.

Beta-Alexis128

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
There may be a config setting for this but there is no guarantee that they are even implemented in the code in the first place. Higher TLS versions being enabled and implemented wouldn't really matter anyway, because the browser still needs valid (non-expired) certificates for those sites to load.
Pretty sure that was the case, I could recommend using some rendering proxy for this for now.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021