Hacking UPDATING Outdated Games on 4.1.0

Kazalber

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
It works the same for both carts and digital. Except for carts with updates built in (which I haven't encountered yet) the updates install to SD/nand depending on if you have an SD installed. Most carts dont seem to have game updates installed on them either.
But physical and digital games update sharing works pretty much the same, though as stated before you risk receiving a system update if the game update being sent requires a newer firmware than the system has.
:unsure:
The thing is, being offline ever since the 5.0 update came out, when I inserted the Kirby cartridge, it prompted to download the software update and I was like "HOW THE F*CK DO THEY DO THAT?! How does the system / cartridge know there's an update for the game when it has never been used while being online?!
Ninty is stepping their p*ssy game up this time, huh? :whip:

Reactions: Subtle Demise

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He made another thread? This method was pointed out days ago by somebody else. I can't remember what thread and I can't be bothered to check. The first thread that he made was a blatant attempt to promote his YouTube channel. This user should receive a warning. I believe what he did is against the forum rules:

"Advertising & Requests

Members are not allowed to create topics or posts intended only to promote or advertise their own or any website(s) without staff permission. If permission is given members are required to provide the name of the staff member who allowed the advert in their post.

As long as the advert is non-obtrusive and does not contain links to warez of any kind, members may link to their own website, forum, or venture in their signature and profile ONLY.

Begging in the forums for anything is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: asking users to visit a website for the member to gain points/etc, begging to become a staff member, torrent invite, translation, and dump requests, and especially pyramid schemes; where you are asking members to help you out by registering places, visiting certain websites, etc."

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He made another thread? This method was pointed out days ago by somebody else. I can't remember what thread and I can't be bothered to check. The first thread that he made was a blatant attempt to promote his YouTube channel. This user should receive a warning. I believe what he did is against the forum rules:

"Advertising & Requests

Members are not allowed to create topics or posts intended only to promote or advertise their own or any website(s) without staff permission. If permission is given members are required to provide the name of the staff member who allowed the advert in their post.

As long as the advert is non-obtrusive and does not contain links to warez of any kind, members may link to their own website, forum, or venture in their signature and profile ONLY.

Begging in the forums for anything is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: asking users to visit a website for the member to gain points/etc, begging to become a staff member, torrent invite, translation, and dump requests, and especially pyramid schemes; where you are asking members to help you out by registering places, visiting certain websites, etc."
It was a Kirby update thread. Someone else mentioned it may be an option, and I went through and did testing and gave my results. And I didn't make a thread for my findings because frankly I would avoid this method to prevent accidental system update.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a Kirby update thread. Someone else mentioned it may be an option, and I went through and did testing and gave my results. And I didn't make a thread for my findings because frankly I would avoid this method to prevent accidental system update.
Went back and found the two original posts I mentioned it. I also talked about it in the stickied required firmware list and a couple other threads.
https://gbatemp.net/index.php?posts/7883271
https://gbatemp.net/index.php?posts/7884831

Biuz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Discovered a METHOD for UPDATING outdated Games.

Currently on 4.1.0 so this might work for previous versions not sure.

Currently the game I am testing with the method I have discovered is as fallows.

Currently UPDATED NBA 2K18

Next few hours UPDATED Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Lastly I will be UPDATED Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Here is a link to the VIDEO.

The original thread was closed people did not want to give time for the release.

1. You need two switch consoles.
2. One Nintendo Switch on 4.1.0 and one on 5.0.0.
3. Hard copy of the game.
4. Updated game on updated Nintendo Switch
5. Go to game setting in homescreen/main menus of the switch on both systems.
6. Go to software update on both systems in the Game settings. NOT THE SYSTEM SETTINGS.
7. In Software update for the game choose Match Version with Local Users.
8. On the updated switch create group.
9. On outdated switch join the group created by the updated switch.
10. On the updated switch initialize communication for the update and all should go well.

Your game should now be updated on the Nintendo Switch running 4.1.0 with the help of the second Nintendo Switch on 5.0.0

All the best more details to come as they are discovered.

Isn't he the same guy of yesterday?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Would have never thought of this, good find OP!

This is a garbage solution if it requires two Switches.
Damn, at least offer some constructive criticism.

Reactions: Quantumcat

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would have never thought of this, good find OP!

Damn, at least offer some constructive criticism.
You should read through the replies. You'll see why it's not a very good idea.
Also it was found a week ago by me and others and discussed in several threads, but I didn't make a thread for it because it's a bad idea and risks accidentally updating your system firmware.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: peteruk

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
A youtuber RTFMed. (Wait, this says, feature will share updates locally!) Celebrations are in order.

Also, RTFMing is now a marketable skill. Dont forget to put it in your next CV.

In further "news", I didn't know, so good work to whoever actually first found and shared this. ;)

Also thank you to @TheCyberQuake for pointing out that this will also share systemupdates, if required version on one update is higher than version available on one of the Switches. And for pointing out, that it does so verbally - and lets you cancel before the transfer finished. You know, the important details to prevent *waaahhs* later down the road.

Also - I'll probably never do this. But thank you for the entertainment. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A youtuber RTFMed. (Wait, this says, feature will share updates locally!) Celebrations are in order.

Also, RTFMing is now a marketable skill. Dont forget to put it in your next CV.

In further "news", I didn't know, so good work to whoever actually first found and shared this. ;)

Also thank you to @TheCyberQuake for pointing out that this will also share systemupdates, if required version on one update is higher than version available on one of the Switches. And for pointing out, that it does so verbally - and lets you cancel before the transfer finished. You know, the important details to prevent *waaahhs* later down the road.

Also - I'll probably never do this. But thank you for the entertainment. ;)
Too bad a few waahs already happened because I was traveling though a dead zone when the post was made. Feel bad for those trying to update Kirby with this and ending up on 5.0.0.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too bad a few waahs already happened because I was traveling though a dead zone when the post was made. Feel bad for those trying to update Kirby with this and ending up on 5.0.0.
Unfortunately, there will always be people who are less discerning than a block of cheese. It should've been obvious from the start where this was going and to only observe from a safe distance with a bowl of popcorn.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
We should maybe also talk about people trying to build followings or "audiences" on youtube this way. Whoever told you that this works, may have roped you in as well... ;)

First off, being a youtuber doesn't make you any noticeable money, unless you are in the top percentile of accounts. What that means, is basically being one of the top two or three guys in your niche (localized niches count), unless your niche is "pewdipieism" (every boy wants a cool bigger bro) or "fashion blogger" (every girl wants a cool girlfriend) in which case it is bigger.

People will follow you because of you offering "fake" (pseudosocial) relationships in the majority of cases. People do not follow "that one guy with knowledge", unless they tend to paint themselves in similar strokes.

People will want to watch "explain the world to me, but easy" videos, to solve their "very individual" needs, but thats it. They don't like to read. They'd love someone to explain their problems away for free - but they then dont follow and like out of sustained gratitute.

You are much better off presenting you as the random "dudebro" that lives an interesting life (visiting suicide forests and such (if you dont get the reference, be glad)), because that will be more attractive to the majority - people don't want to learn, they want to be entertained. If that entails learning, so be it.. ;)

Now lets talk about "manufactured hits" - if you can get more eyeballs, thats great - but thats not how you make audiences stick and thats still different from "sustained viral growth", the people you are addressing as a youtuber must be able to draw constant, mostly "emotional" value from what you do, thats what makes them come back to you - and not the other guy of which there are thousands of. Or the next hit thing.

If you cant promote yourself as "interesting dude" or "fun gal" (and yes, I know the subtext coding here is different), all manufactured attention grabs will only ever be spikes in your analytics graphs. Stunts are necessary to broaden your reach and reach new audiences, but they are not the mechanism by which you grow your audiences.

Taking in those concepts, lets look at "I help you non toxic, long time" dude again (as an archetype, not directed at OP in specific). You will mostly be perceived as a poor and lonely sole trying to buy friends with "favors" by one part of the audience, and as "calculating idiot - that doesnt know, that the way he's trying to do stuff doesnt work", by another 10 percent, and the remaining 40 percent that might show actual interest will dwindle away, once they realize, that the other stuff you put out isnt interesting to them to begin with.

Thats called the youtube economy - and yes, it is "toxic" as hell (to borrow an unspoken phrase ;) ), so is the concept of "judging your worth based on virtual friendcounts", or trying to make money by selling the attention you could gather as "influencers" to advertisers that show interest in your specific audience. You are literally selling your peers out. Most people will not care, because of the "I'm immune to it" fallacy, for the others its a mixed calculation if the value you provide to them outweighs all other considerations.

If you present yourself as a shady, calculating individual - chances are, that thats how people will perceive you as well, at least the part that can.

Promoting (as in "featuring") youtube (or whatever) channels in established forums is a lost cause for the most part, as the "mindshare" is already established. People think that people are interesting who they perceive as "better than themselves" in some kind of way. Those roles will be filled (thanks to fake social reputation graphs, look left) at the very outset of "forming a community". Being first, has a real benefit here. The people who fill those roles are usually very dedicated, and even "good" at what they do (if their peers demand any reasonably standard of quality, which they usually dont.. ;) ). So you as a youtuber trying to draw away attention with "exclusive news" works in stints, but ultimately you are not becoming "that guy" - people would actually like to listen to.

"Solution" to that is to be there, when a community starts to grow exponentially. Problem is, they dont often do - to the point youtubers need for their "add on" monetization.

So even if you have reputation ("brand recognition"), and consistent entertainment value you might not have reach. Viral growth (word of mouth) happens if you have all three. Rope them in, stick them, hope you have a growing social movement on your hands - is the basic formula.

Also - I have never tried to do this on my own - I've just looked at this panning out more times than I'd have cared to.

Fun new streaming channel, gbatemp - btw. You have brand recognition, you are lacking in the other two departments.. ;)

People who do "I help you non toxic, longtime" schemes on youtube much more often have a better monetization option folded in - because they know, that the stuff they do has no sustained mass appeal. So - f.e. they might sell you tools or parts, or partner with retailers who do. Or they are sitting in third world countries, where economies of scale still work in their favor.

Visibility and reputation models on all those "mass interest" platforms is broken as well, so the stuff thats being swept to the top - never is the "harder to understand, quality stuff" to begin with. Thats why linkbaiting, is a thing - and all the popular youtubers do MTV style cuts (one every 6 seconds) to hold attention.

To bring it back in - whenever people like me see a (first and foremost) youtuber, with an unestablished track record, try to jump on communities like this one with "value add" or "exclusivity" proposals, I cringe. Mostly because I know, that that approach wont take them very far. Unless something very unexpected happens.

Now - next up, lets talk about how forums work as business opportunities, and who makes the money there... Or lets not. ;)

And if you don't do it for the money, please dont do it for "attention by numbers". I understand, that this is a thing in younger generations, because everyone wants to become "hit youtuber" these days - but thats a recipe for desaster for 99,99% of all folks willing to take that road.

Last edited by notimp,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We should maybe also talk about people trying to build followings or "audiences" on youtube this way. Whoever told you that this works, may have roped you in as well... ;)

First off, being a youtuber doesn't make you any noticeable money, unless you are in the top percentile of accounts. What that means, is basically being one of the top two or three guys in your niche (localized niches count), unless your niche is "pewdipieism" (every boy wants a cool bigger bro) or "fashion blogger" (every girl wants a cool girlfriend) in which case it is bigger.

People will follow you because of you offering "fake" (pseudosocial) relationships in the majority of cases. People do not follow "that one guy with knowledge", unless they tend to paint themselves in similar strokes.

People will want to watch "explain the world to me, but easy" videos, to solve their "very individual" needs, but thats it. They don't like to read. They'd love someone to explain their problems away for free - but they then dont follow and like out of gratitute.

You are much better off presenting you as the random "dudebro" that lives an interesting life (visiting suicide forests and such (if you dont get the reference, be glad)), because that will be more attractive to the majority - people don't want to learn, they want to be entertained. If that entails learning, so be it.. ;)

Now lets talk about "manufactured hits" - if you can get more eyeballs, thats great - but thats not how you make audiences stick and thats still different from "sustained viral growth", the people you are addressing as a youtuber must be able to draw constant, mostly "emotional" value from what you do, thats what makes them come back to you - and not the other guy of which there are thousands of. Or the next hit thing.

If you cant promote yourself as "interesting dude" or "fun gal" (and yes, I know the subtext coding here is different), all manufactured attention grabs will only ever be spikes in your analytics graphs. Stunts are necessary to broaden your reach and reach new audiences, but they are not the mechanism by which you grow your audiences.

Taking in those concepts, lets look at "I help you non toxic, long time" dude again. You will mostly be percived as a poor and lonely sole trying to buy friends with "favors" by one part of the audience, and as "calculating idiot - that doesnt know, that the way he's trying to do stuff doesnt work", by another 10 percent, and the remaining 40% that might show actual interest will dwindle away, once they realize, that the stuff you put out isnt interesting to them to begin with.

That called the youtube economy - and yes, it is "toxic" as hell (to borrow an unspoken phrase ;) ), so is the concept of "judging your worth based on virtual friendcounts", or trying to make money by selling the attention you could gather as "influencers" to advertisers that show interest in your specific audience. You are literally selling your peers out. Most people will not care, because of the "I'm immune to it" fallacy, for the others its a mixed calculation if the value you provide to them outweighs all other considerations.

If you present yourself as a shady, calculating individual - chances are, that thats how people will perceive you as well, at least the part that can.

Promoting youtube (or whatever) channels in established forums is a lost cause for the most part, as the "mindshare" is already established. People think that people are interesting who they perceive as "better than themselves" in some kind of way. Those roles will be filled (thanks to fake social reputation graphs, look left) at the very outset of "forming a community". Being first, has a real benefit here. The people who fill those roles are usually very dedicated, and even "good" at what they (if their peers demand any reasonably standard of quality, which they usually dont.. ;) ) do. So you as a youtuber trying to daw away attention with "exclusive news" works in stints, but ultimately you are not becoming "that guy" - people would actually like to listen to.

"Solution" to that is to be there, when a community starts to grow exponentially. Problem is, they dont often do - to the point youtubers need for their "add on" monetization.

So even if you have reputation ("brand recognition"), and consistent entertainment value you might not have reach. Viral growth (word of mouth) happens if you have all three. Rope them in, stick them, hope you have a growing social movement on your hands - is the basic formula.

Also - I have never tried to do this on my own - I've just looked at this panning out more times than I'd have cared to.

Fun new streaming channel, gbatemp - btw. You have brand recognition, you are lacking in the other two departments.. ;)

People who do "I help you non toxic, longtime" schemes on youtube much more often have a better monetization option folded in - because they know, that the stuff they do has no sustained mass appeal. So - f.e. they might sell you tools or parts, or partner with retailers who do. Or they are sitting in third world countries, where economies of scale still work in their favor.

Visibility and reputation models on all those "mass interest" platforms is broken as well, so the stuff thats being swept to the top - never is the "harder to understand, quality stuff" to begin with. Thats why linkbaiting, is a thing - and all the popular youtubers do MTV style cuts (one every 6 seconds) to hold attention.

To bring it back in - whenever people like me see a (first and foremost) youtuber, with an unestablished track record, try to jump on communities like this one with "value add" or "exclusivity" proposals, I cringe. Mostly because I know, that that approach wont take them very far. Unless something very unexpected happens.

Now - next up, lets talk about how forums work as business opportunities, and who makes the money there... Or lets not. ;)

And if you don't do it for the money, please dont do it for "attention by numbers". I understand, that this is a thing in younger generations, because everyone wants to become "hit youtuber" these days - but thats a recipe for desaster for 99,99% of all folks willing to take that road.
I started reading but gave up because I'm far too tired and lazy to read a post that's the length of a college dissertation right now lol. I'll come back tomorrow and read this.

Reactions: peteruk

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jeez, this forum man.

Yesterday some of you were calling bullshit and attacking this dude. Y'all were telling him it wasn't possible and he was lying. Then he goes and posts a legitimate method and some of those same people almost immediately say this method is useless and even go on to try and prove that OP didn't come up with it in the first place.

The method might not be useful to you but that doesn't mean it's not useful to everyone and regardless of who discovered it first it works and it will allow some users to do something that they could not before, something that's been sought after for a while.

And you guys wonder why people are reluctant to share discoveries here, maybe it's because y'all get pissy when people say they might have found something (saying prove it or fuck off) then y'all get pissy again when they post it (saying it's useless).

I reckon Nintendo forgot the FW check in 5.0.x, inb4 5.1 in a few days to fix this issue. More stability incoming.

Reactions: Kazalber

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...