Hacking UPDATING Outdated Games on 4.1.0

naed06

Trophies
XP
Country
Oddly enough that guide explicitly states that both consoles must be on the latest fw.

I don't see it state that at all, just says make sure your console is on latest firmware - doesn't say it won't work if it's not on the latest firmware

Only thing it states about what firmware it works on is "This feature is available for consoles with system menu version 4.0.0 or higher"

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
One copy of the game.

Hard copy of the game, cartridge.
Oh, right. That actually makes sense. Ha!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't see it state that at all, just says make sure your console is on latest firmware - doesn't say it won't work if it's not on the latest firmware

Only thing it states about what firmware it works on is "This feature is available for consoles with system menu version 4.0.0 or higher"
I didn't say it stated it won't work. Just that it says both consoles MUST do these things. Kinda funny actually.

naed06

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, right. That actually makes sense. Ha!

I didn't say it stated it won't work. Just that it says both consoles MUST do these things. Kinda funny actually.

My apologies, your correct that's exactly what you said :D

Leonidas87

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a way to manually download dlc? On the updated switch of course, for Zelda.

Accidently deleted the dlc it's not auto downloading, must be a way to start it.

Ahh just read that 4.0 part... Rip my dreams.

Not been tested on other versions might work.

Original thread had 10,000 views should not have been closed. Some people where waiting for the info provided.

Raynx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is a hard copy of the game strictly required? Or could I update a already downloaded, but not up to date game as well?
If not and you have a friend with a updated switch, just log into your Nintendo Account on his switch, download the game, update it on your own switch and log out on your friends Switch, right?
I know you can play a digital game on only one console, but downloading it and updating with that shouldnt be a problem, if I read the Nintendo FAQ correct.

Leonidas87

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Is a hard copy of the game strictly required? Or could I update a already downloaded, but not up to date game as well?
If not and you have a friend with a updated switch, just log into your Nintendo Account on his switch, download the game, update it on your own switch and log out on your friends Switch, right?
I know you can play a digital game on only one console, but downloading it and updating with that shouldnt be a problem, if I read the Nintendo FAQ correct.
I did it with both switches on the same account. I own them both. People figured I only had one switch for 2 days wrong. 2 switches. One naught 2 days ago on 4.1.0 the original a month ago on 5.0.0 as of the video.

With trying to get everything ready I did accidently update my updated switch to 5.0.1 it got me unfortunately was holding off.

Other system is still on 4.1.0 tho thankfully.

As for digital copy I do not know. My outdated switch missed the opportunity to get even one downloaded game from the eshop. Bad timing on those updates for me and with the purchase of the second switch in that aspect.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Discovered a METHOD for UPDATING outdated Games.

Currently on 4.1.0 so this might work for previous versions not sure.

Currently the game I am testing with the method I have discovered is as fallows.

Currently UPDATED NBA 2K18

Next few hours UPDATED Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Lastly I will be UPDATED Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Here is a link to the VIDEO.

The original thread was closed people did not want to give time for the release.

1. You need two switch consoles.
2. One Nintendo Switch on 4.1.0 and one on 5.0.0.
3. Hard copy of the game.
4. Updated game on updated Nintendo Switch
5. Go to game setting in homescreen/main menus of the switch on both systems.
6. Go to software update on both systems in the Game settings. NOT THE SYSTEM SETTINGS.
7. In Software update for the game choose Match Version with Local Users.
8. On the updated switch create group.
9. On outdated switch join the group created by the updated switch.
10. On the updated switch initialize communication for the update and all should go well.

Your game should now be updated on the Nintendo Switch running 4.1.0 with the help of the second Nintendo Switch on 5.0.0

All the best more details to come as they are discovered.

I assumed doing that would also update the outdated Switch to the same version as the other Switch. I guess no one really tried it before. It's not exactly an advertised feature of the Switch OS.
But I'm sure now that people know about it, it won't be long until Nintendo changes it to also update the firmware.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So the guidelines posted by N are not exactly in line with experience..

Steps 1 - 3 must be performed by each of the Nintendo Switch consoles to be used with this feature:
  1. Ensure your console has the latest system update.

I tip my hat to you OP for coming through on your promise and for demonstrating something that is theoretically at least quite a neat trick
if you have a friend not interested in the scene with the same game you want to update.

Reactions: Minox and Kioku

Leonidas87

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I assumed doing that would also update the outdated Switch to the same version as the other Switch. I guess no one really tried it before. It's not exactly an advertised feature of the Switch OS.
But I'm sure now that people know about it, it won't be long until Nintendo changes it to also update the firmware.

Guess I took a big risk but well worth it.

I agree it would be best to do this sooner then later for sure.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So all this was about an official documented feature that I spotted in the menus the first time I started up my Switch. I'd have already tried it if I knew anyone else with a Switch.

Reactions: Kioku

Sayora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either this is doesn't work, or it was just patched. When I tried to do it for Kirby Star Allies it said I needed to update.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it at all possible that this only works when one console has system update ready then? Just trying to narrow it down.

OP were all the successful transfers done when the switch had system update ready? Edit nvm confirmed not the case by OP below

Last edited by Soluble,

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
%100 confirmed this does not work do not do it, just tried it followed the instructions exactly it updated my game to the latest version but it also updated my second console to 5.0, i'm just going to go ahead and update to 5.1 and download a few things from the eshop now.

i don't care much since i probably wasn't going to hack my switch anyways i own every retail game i've ever wanted and am not ever giving up online the only thing i wanted was pokemon hacks which i can do without.
but for anyone who does care absolutely do not do this.

Leonidas87

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada

On the outdated 4.1.0 have dns manual for internet settings blocking update.

Go into maintanince mode.

Delete save and or game data on outdated switch may possibly help. It did for me when I stopped the transfer and went to try again. That was Breath of the Wild.

I just did the transfer between 5.0.1 and 4.1.0 need more games to test.

%100 confirmed this does not work do not do it, just tried it followed the instructions exactly it updated my game to the latest version but it also updated my second console to 5.0, i'm just going to go ahead and update to 5.1 and download a few things from the eshop now.

i don't care much since i probably wasn't going to hack my switch anyways i own every retail game i've ever wanted and am not ever giving up online the only thing i wanted was pokemon hacks which i can do without.
but for anyone who does care absolutely do not do this.
Was your dns set to manual to block updates on the 4.1.0 version?

Was it the outdated system that updated for you on 4.1.0 or 5.0.0 to clarify?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1