Hacking Updating for Pokemon x/y

izac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am deciding if i want to go purchase pokemon y and a 3DS XL tonight.

My question is it worth for me to screw my chances at gateway and w/e new cards may come out by upgrading so I can play pokemon?

Should I get and be patient and hope for pokemon to be playable for gateway?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The Gateway is more trouble than it is worth, you'll be waiting a VERY long time, chances are the 3DS XL you get will be updated anyway so no Gateway compatibility.
Since you are getting them tonight, I don't think you want to wait for the 1year+ it takes for gateway to update for Pokemon compatibility.

Kei00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am (pretty) sure it will be fixed sooner or later, because this game (your backup) will be a Gateway seller... However, nothing is certain until it happens (except taxes and death). If you can't wait... Well, it's your decision.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The Gateway is more trouble than it is worth, you'll be waiting a VERY long time, chances are the 3DS XL you get will be updated anyway so no Gateway compatibility.
Since you are getting them tonight, I don't think you want to wait for the 1year+ it takes for gateway to update for Pokemon compatibility.

That's the reason I didn't buy Gateway,while I never bought a single game for DS,the Gateway is just too much trouble,they might progress in the future,but as long as they're stuck in 4.1-4.5 and have to struggle bypassing new APs,in no time they will be outnumbered,unless they manage to hack the 3DS.

They might come up with something genius tomorrow,or maybe the 3ds will be hacked,but for now this is what Gateway feels like to me.

The best way is to have a 2nd 3ds console,but then if you're going to pay so much money for a new console and the games that do not work on Gateway,what's the point of buying Gateway at all ?

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gateway hasn't actually been any trouble at all for me. All the games I've played on it work perfectly, the only games I've heard of that don't work on it are MH4, Animal Crossing and now Pokemon. I already had the first 2 retail anyway and had pre-ordered Pokemon, so it's not a problem for me in the slightest.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gateway hasn't actually been any trouble at all for me. All the games I've played on it work perfectly, the only games I've heard of that don't work on it are MH4, Animal Crossing and now Pokemon. I already had the first 2 retail anyway and had pre-ordered Pokemon, so it's not a problem for me in the slightest.

Only games that matter :wink:

But mostly,by trouble I meant that you have to stay within the 4.1-4.5 versions,you have no online access(which makes pokemon useless after you beat the story,even if they make it playable),which means no multiplayer or e-shop,you have to wait weeks for a new AP patch,there are many issues like "game card removed",and many other bugs,which goes to probably every card out there,but paying the cost of 80$,you wouldn't want to be so lucky.

Anyways,I wish the Gateway team luck and I will be the first to purchase it when they add support for the latest versions and support online mode,but currently,It's just not worth it(at least for me).

Reactions: T-hug

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I personally couldn't wait so bought a second 3DS XL for Gateway and use my old one for retail carts.
Lol thats exactly what I did. When I get my pokemon x today, I can just update and play it and still have my second 3ds xl with gateway, that I use to test games before I buy them or not XD and maybe someday when pokemon works on it, I will use it to let my little sister play pokemon y on it, because I support the companies by buying good games, but buying 2 pokemon games with nearly the same content goes too far XD

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only games that matter :wink:

But mostly,by trouble I meant that you have to stay within the 4.1-4.5 versions,you have no online access(which makes pokemon useless after you beat the story,even if they make it playable),which means no multiplayer or e-shop,you have to wait weeks for a new AP patch,there are many issues like "game card removed",and many other bugs,which goes to probably every card out there,but paying the cost of 80$,you wouldn't want to be so lucky.

Anyways,I wish the Gateway team luck and I will be the first to purchase it when they add support for the latest versions and support online mode,but currently,It's just not worth it(at least for me).
I have easily made back the money I saved with Gateway through the games I've played. And I've only played a few. There are still a bunch more, and the more I play, the more it's worth it.

Let's do some math. It's unclear if you have a 3DS or not, but since you were planning on buying one anyway, I'm not going to factor it into the cost. A 3DS can cost between $100-$200, depending on model and condition. Then there's the gateway, which is ~$85. So in order to use Gateway, you will need to spend $185-$285. If you assume an average game price of $30, you will have paid off your purchase in ~6-9 finished games. Unless you were serious when you said MH4, ACNL, and Pokemon were the only games that mattered, you'd easily be able to do that. And if you were going to buy a flashcard for less than 6 games anyway, that's your problem.

Reactions: Huntereb

izac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as of now the 3DS will mainly be a console that i want for pokemon and well thats really it but i know if an awesome J game comes out "like" Jump Stars id be very very sad since i still play that game on my old ds

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have easily made back the money I saved with Gateway through the games I've played. And I've only played a few. There are still a bunch more, and the more I play, the more it's worth it.

Let's do some math. It's unclear if you have a 3DS or not, but since you were planning on buying one anyway, I'm not going to factor it into the cost. A 3DS can cost between $100-$200, depending on model and condition. Then there's the gateway, which is ~$85. So in order to use Gateway, you will need to spend $185-$285. If you assume an average game price of $30, you will have paid off your purchase in ~6-9 finished games. Unless you were serious when you said MH4, ACNL, and Pokemon were the only games that mattered, you'd easily be able to do that. And if you were going to buy a flashcard for less than 6 games anyway, that's your problem.

Yeah,it's probably me,I'm very picky,I only played mostly the Pokemon ,Ace Attorney,Layton,One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh games,I got a bunch of other games I tried playing,but in the end just deleted them after 5 minutes of gameplay(when I was playing on my DS).

So yeah,if you're a hardcore gamer ,Gateway is probably worth it,but as the time goes by,more games will use AP,so you will have to choose every time between waiting or paying.And if it's an absolutely "must play" game,you'll probably end up paying,in which case,Gateway is probably not worth it in my eyes again.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
1 - Gateway can run moster hunter which had similar save issues , they may have already cracked it and are waiting to release the update for pokemon
2 - 1 year plus ???? Pulling numbers out of no where.

Reactions: MrXela

CropUpAnywhere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
does anyone know what FW Pokemon needs you to update to?
also can you update to the earliest you need or can you only update to the latest?

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wait,what If i switch my Region to Australia,will I be able to buy the game,I know that they don't check where your CC comes from ?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, question. Thinking about getting a retail X/Y copy, updating to 6.1 and just getting a DS2 to tide me over 'till the Gateway team update their cart to work on 6.1 (I realize there's a chance I'll either be waiting a very long time, it'll never happen, or the wait may not be too long). Will any online features of Pokémon X/Y require me to update my 3DS to the latest firmware, or can I stay on 6.1?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-