• Start date
  • Views 3,505
  • Replies 21
C

croagunk.master

OP
E-Shop-3DS-Picture-3.jpg
QUOTE said:
Although it's previously been the subject of some speculation, with even Nintendo themselves sending out conflicting messages on whether the Virtual Console will be available on day one, or as part of a software update in May, Nintendo have now come clean, as part of their official launch hub over at IGN, with the good news - the Virtual Console will be available from day one.

It's important to note that some of these features will not be available out of the box, and will need to be downloaded from a Wi-Fi connection. Nintendo has revealed that a worldwide update, scheduled for late May, will enable some of this functionality, most notably the eShop (including the Virtual Console) and DSi-to-3DS data transfer. - 3DS Launch Guide (IGN)

Much in the same way as the Wii, the Virtual Console will let you download old games to your 3DS - but whereas the Wii lets you download games from a variety of home console, the 3DS Virtual Console will stock Game Boy, and Game Boy Colour games - although there's certainly potential for it to expand in the future.

UPDATE: IGN has since changed their statement about the 3DS Virtual Console being available on launch day in their "3DS Buyer's Guide" and now state that the service will indeed come in the form of a system software update in late May, as previously stated. Below is the snippet from their guide which shows the change. We apologize for any inconvenience this misinformation may have caused.

IGN's old statement:
QUOTE said:
It's important to note that some of these features, most notably the Virtual Console/e-Shop idea, will not be available out of the box, but will need to be downloaded from a Wi-Fi connection. Nintendo has clarified that the Virtual Console will be available immediately upon the launch of the 3DS.

IGN's new statement:
It's important to note that some of these features will not be available out of the box, and will need to be downloaded from a Wi-Fi connection. Nintendo has revealed that a worldwide update, scheduled for late May, will enable some of this functionality, most notably the eShop (including the Virtual Console) and DSi-to-3DS data transfer.

icon11.gif
Old Source
icon11.gif
Updated Source

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
While I'm sure this is great news for some people, it's kinda pointless for me. All it has is GB and GBC games, right? Untouched, exactly as they were in their prime. Which means the service offers nothing my Cyclo DS Evo hasn't been doing for the last three years or so. Even if it had GBA support, my PSP has me covered there. Although if SNES games become available I reckon I'd pay for Zombies!, Starwing (even though I have the actual cart), Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, etc. The rare as hell games that go for a tonne on eBay. That might be worth my time, if it's not a rip-off.

Of course it's largely irrelevant, I'm buying my 3DS for the 3DS games, not golden oldies. Fair play to Nintendo for possibly allowing people to catch the Zelda Oracle games though, they're some of the best in the series and yet nobody ever seems to mention them. Aside from here of course.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
yeah i can play all these games on VBA GX on a 65" screen including oracles

Having seen what my PS3 does to old PS1 games when they're on my 42" plasma screen, I dread to think what GBC games look like on a 65"er.

I must be getting more mature. I mentioned inches twice there and not one cock joke.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
Bladexdsl said:

Having seen what my PS3 does to old PS1 games when they're on my 42" plasma screen, I dread to think what GBC games look like on a 65"er.

I must be getting more mature. I mentioned inches twice there and not one cock joke.
Not bad, actually.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Bladexdsl said:

I'd like to see you carry that around in your pocket, backpack, or your truck where ever you go.
tongue.gif
I have a DS and a flashcart.

Not to say that I don't love the idea of a portable VC, but I can already do this.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Blaze163 said:
I dread to think what GBC games look like on a 65"er.
they look stunning and vba gx even has special filters that enhance it even more.

DiscostewSM said:
QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Feb 12 2011, 03:56 PM) yeah i can play all these games on VBA GX on a 65" screen including oracles

I'd like to see you carry that around in your pocket, backpack, or your truck where ever you go.
tongue.gif
don't care i'll be buying a 3ds to play 3ds games)

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
They've really just got to make sure Tetris and Super Mario Land are available on day one. Any of the Gen I Pokémon games would be awesome, too.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
They've really just got to make sure Tetris and Super Mario Land are available on day one. Any of the Gen I Pokémon games would be awesome, too.
Nothing will be available until the update in may.

I dont think you guys got that this is false.

The title of this thread is now incorrect.

UPDATE: IGN has since changed their statement about the 3DS Virtual Console being available on launch day in their "3DS Buyer's Guide" and now state that the service will indeed come in the form of a system software update in late May, as previously stated. Below is the snippet from their guide which shows the change. We apologize for any inconvenience this misinformation may have caused.

It's important to note that some of these features will not be available out of the box, and will need to be downloaded from a Wi-Fi connection. Nintendo has revealed that a worldwide update, scheduled for late May, will enable some of this functionality, most notably the eShop (including the Virtual Console) and DSi-to-3DS data transfer. - 3DS Launch Guide (IGN)[/p]

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Source

Like i said earlier, big blunder by IGN. Mod can probably lock this now.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no reason why there shouldn't be GBA game support as well. I mean, I can't really recall a lot of great games from the Gameboy era aside from the standards like Pokemon and Mario games. I guess Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 will be available together in the same game again which will be sweet since it was a great remake for the Gameboy, as well as the Dragon Warrior 3 remake, certainly some must have classics for any player to own. Having GBA support as well would open the library up to tons more games as well.

D

Deleted User

OP
DSGamer64 said:
There is no reason why there shouldn't be GBA game support as well. I mean, I can't really recall a lot of great games from the Gameboy era aside from the standards like Pokemon and Mario games. I guess Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 will be available together in the same game again which will be sweet since it was a great remake for the Gameboy, as well as the Dragon Warrior 3 remake, certainly some must have classics for any player to own. Having GBA support as well would open the library up to tons more games as well.

I completely agree. The only reason that the Gameboy/Gameboy Color are going to be supported in the VC is because they're easy to support. Sure, there are a few popular games like you mentioned, but other than that, it just feels like a waste. Re-introducing GBA compatibility (after skipping a generation) would be a really smart move in my opinion. There are loads of cool GBA games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o