[UPDATE] Ubisoft clarifies stance on delisted games; owners will still be able to redownload them after servers go offline

header.jpg

UPDATE: In a statement to Eurogamer, Ubisoft has said that the message on the Steam page is misleading and will be changed. Contrary to what the Steam page says, users will still be able to redownload all affected games after their servers are taken offline, if they have purchased the games previously. Ubisoft's full statement to Eurogamer is as follows:

"As stated in our support article, only DLCs and online features will be affected by the upcoming decommissioning. Current owners of those games will still be able to access, play or redownload them. Our teams are working with our partners to update this information across all storefronts and are also assessing all available options for players who will be impacted when these games’ online services are decommissioned on 1st September, 2022.

"It has always been our intention to do everything in our power to allow those legacy titles to remain available in the best possible conditions for players, and this is what we are working towards."

ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Ubisoft has pulled three games from sale on Steam, adding a notice to the store page that they would be "inaccessible" after September 1, 2022. The first title, Space Junkies, is a multiplayer-only title, so online services being decommissioned and these games becoming inaccessible isn't exactly rare. However, the other two games - Assassin's Creed Liberation HD and Silent Hunter 5 - are exclusively single player.

Typically, when a game is pulled from digital storefronts, anyone who owns it can still redownload it freely. However, the extra notice that these titles will be "inaccessible" after September 1 has users concerned they will be unable to download them again. A page on Ubisoft's website about games being decommissioned in September of 2022 warns that "the installation and access to DLC will be unavailable" for these games, which could suggest it won't be available in any way.

That warning also appears on the entries for several other games - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, the non-remastered release of Far Cry 3 and the non-remastered release of Assassin's Creed III - but the Steam pages for those games have different information. Tom Clancy, Prince of Persia, Far Cry 3 and Brotherhood say that DLC and online elements will become unavailable as of September 1, though the base game will remain accessible, again implying that the base game will no longer be available for games that don't carry that stipulation. Assassin's Creed III, meanwhile, only mentions that it will no longer be available for sale, with no mention of loss of access to DLC or online elements.

The move has drawn widespread criticism from the community who see it as an unprecedented anti-consumer move, especially since, according to SteamDB, Liberation HD was on sale just a few weeks ago up until its delisting.

As reported by Destructoid, Ubisoft issued the following statement to multiple news outlets: “We don’t take the decision to retire services for older Ubisoft games lightly. Our teams are currently assessing all available options for players who will be impacted when these games’ online services are decommissioned on September 1st, 2022.”

templeofhylia

homo supreme
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
screw ubisoft, yadda yadda, piracy is morally correct, yadda yadda....it's in their terms and conditions....that doesn't make it right......physical media forever....am i forgetting anything?

wonder how many more years we'll have this same tired conversation. not that it isn't important to have, and to hell with corporate, but how much more will consumers take before we experience meaningful change?

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Well fuck...I just bought Liberations HD this Summer Sale....
WTF Ubisoft...I used to love the company, but every time they do something like this I just hate them more and more....
If they continue like this, I just hope they go bankrupt and disappear for good and after that some normal company buys them up and do the right decisions...

T00nist8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
screw ubisoft, yadda yadda, piracy is morally correct, yadda yadda....it's in their terms and conditions....that doesn't make it right......physical media forever....am i forgetting anything?

wonder how many more years we'll have this same tired conversation. not that it isn't important to have, and to hell with corporate, but how much more will consumers take before we experience meaningful change?
Yeah, I agree. It is tiring to have this conversation, but we have to keep trying. Majority of consumers need to be more aware of these scummy practices AAA Game Companies keep doing, and we have to warn them. If not, hardly anyone learns and the companies still make millions upon billions.

Reactions: templeofhylia
Ubisoft clarifies that those who own games digitally will still be able to redownload them after servers go offline

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
UPDATE 5.45pm UK: Ubisoft has said that owners of Assassin's Creed Liberation HD will still be able to play and redownload the game after its servers shut down on 1st September.

The new statement, passed to Eurogamer this evening, appears to contradict the message visible today on the game's store page. This will now be changed.

"As stated in our support article, only DLCs and online features will be affected by the upcoming decommissioning. Current owners of those games will still be able to access, play or redownload them. Our teams are working with our partners to update this information across all storefronts and are also assessing all available options for players who will be impacted when these games’ online services are decommissioned on 1st September, 2022.

"It has always been our intention to do everything in our power to allow those legacy titles to remain available in the best possible conditions for players, and this is what we are working towards."
https://www.eurogamer.net/assassins...-game-will-become-inaccessible-from-september

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital format is the... Future? Probably for some

Some, hell no for me, I enjoy it's convenience and that's about it. I've been collecting tons of old games for a variety of consoles so I won't have to worry about stuff like this. That and companies like Nintendo not allowing old games through services like Virtual Console being another problem.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
As @ut2k4master already stated:

Update July 11, 2022, 8:10 p.m.:
As Computerbase reports, shortly after the publication of our article, Ubisoft decided to take a closer look at the situation. It was originally reported on Steam to read: "This title will no longer be accessible after September 1, 2022". Here Ubisoft wants to be misunderstood, only "DLCs and online functions" are meant. Work is being done to provide appropriate updates to the information on Steam & Co. Ubisoft promises owners of the games will still be able to "access, play or re-download" them. An "evaluation of all available options" will be made for this, which way you have to go in the future away from Steam, but you haven't explained it yet.

https://winfuture.de/news,130715.html
(german)

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

sadly physical on pc doesn't mean to much when the dam serveres for verifying a disc code are taken down...lookin at your crysis 2. it's not ubisoft but still

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch