235 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. Have you NEVER used a save editor?

123 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Did you have spot pass turned on?

258 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Is your console linked to an NNID, and you were banned?

120 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. Is your console NOT linked to an NNID and you were banned?

49 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member
    Newcomer

United States
    And if they did, my system is pretty much plainly and openly showing all the shady stuff that's installed - so why isn't mine banned?
    1. If it were illegitimate CIAs, they'd find them in the installed titles, as well as my activity log (since I've never wiped anything).
    2. Don't know about my Friendlist, but odds are it'd show 99% of that time is in playing games, and I'm not dumb enough to put an illegitimate CIA as my favorite title or anything.
    For your assumption to be true, you'd have to explain why I haven't gotten hit with a ban despite having at least two "big time" illegitimate CIAs on my 3DS for about a year, and two MORE in the last 3 months - or chalk my evasion of the ban up to random chance, which is a very bizarre thing to rely upon.

Again, my system is open, it's sending data back, Spotpass is on. Nintendo has presumably had every chance to look over my system. So why hasn't it been hit yet?

It could be that they're going to do another wave... or it could be that I didn't do whatever thousands of people did and they got hit by the banhammer for.

I'm more likely to believe that than simply "I got lucky even though I did the things this person thinks caused the bans."

2. ShadowEO

ShadowEO GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't think we've seen any new bans confirmed from this way in the past couple of days, so I, myself, are running under the assumption that it's over.

3. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

United States
    Why would it be Luma updater and not FBI? You're saying it was Luma updater that got people banned but you're forgetting other CFWs were hit by the banwave as well. FBI is the one CIA everyone with CFW has in common(I could be wrong as I've only ever had Luma), plus it's what installs illegitimate CIAs(unauthorized software) such as Luma updater.

4. IdontspeakeEnglish

Newcomer

Serbia, Republic of
    In Russian communities, there is a lot of talk about the fact that some licensed 3ds were blocked. Without cfw. If this is so, then it violates the whole logic of such a survey.

5. Ruryk

Ruryk Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Another hypothesis bites the dust...

TinchoX likes this.
  6. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I don't think it's CIAs at all. I was playing Devil's Advocate and trying to assume that what he said was true - that it's likely CIAs and they scraped the data during some unspecified time, banning all who failed the check. I then went about trying to disprove it.

Luma Updater is simply the most recent illegitimate CIA I've installed. Freeshop's been on there ~3 months; FBI/HBL about a year.
    1. People were pointing out FBI/Freeshop/HBL as causes, and it can't be that, or I'd have gotten hit, since FBI and HBL have been on there forever.
    2. If it was Freeshop, the data would have to be ~3 months old or I'd have been hit from that.
    3. And if it were Luma, it'd be less than a month old AND we'd have no reports from people who didn't use Luma who got hit - but of course they did, so it can't be Luma.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Haha noo, just answered his question.
    We litteraly don't know anything rn. It's seems just too random.

8. ShadowEO

United States
    But we haven't seen literally any legit claims of clean systems being banned. All of which were either second-hand consoles, or had some flaw with their claim.

9. Bluespheal

Bluespheal GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    Lol, what's up with you man? XD

I haven't got hit so it can't be that, lol, give me a break XD

10. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Germany
    Yeah, if my theory is wrong, but yours isn't, why isn't my console banned yet?
    We don't have any exact time info, so neither you nor me is actually right. Without being able to compare activity log dumps we CAN'T narrow it down more than just being able to say that illegitimate titles are probably the main factor.
    CFW, FW version and A9LH/B9S are very unlikely the main factor, since they are the factor with most differences.

My theory is so unspecific it is true, unauthorized software != only CIAs.

We can't explain why not everyone is banned, but you can't do it either. So unless you can prove your hypothesis with numbers, like I can, you are wrong. More than 95% of all ban victims had homebrew CIAs installed, and 100% of all victims had any kind of illegitimate software.

11. Joshwraith

Joshwraith GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Well the poll show no correlation between systems, games, app installed, etc, and this drive me to think something like: and if they find a way to check is the signatures are off so that allow the system run unsigned code = cfw this will tell them "this user use cfw", or sound too much paranoid ?

12. ShadowEO

United States
    Please jump to around page 310+ and you'll see that we've already discussed this and agree with specifically those CIAs. But you can't claim that with every CIA in the software library, there are literally hundreds of titles. It could have been any, or none of them, doesn't just have to be with the most obvious.

@Joshwraith I saw your post after I posted this, and while the polls showed no correlation, none of the polls looked over EVERY title in the 3DS library, both legit and homebrew. There could easily be something missing there. It can't be fully debunked until that has been done.

13. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Again, what reason would Nintendo have to ban only some systems that they know have been modded, but not all?

None!

It makes no real sense to stagger the banwave like some people think they're going to do - if they've already got all the info, just nuke everyone.

ShadowEO likes this.
  14. Lewdcina

Lewdcina Member
    Newcomer

United States
    if the banwaves are most likely over can anyone help me unban my 3ds

15. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    DUDE, WTF! YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS A VERRY VERRY HIGH CHANCE THAT U'RE GET BANNED SOON, BECAUSE AS IT LOOKS LIKE, NOBODY GETS BANNED ATM. SO RELAX AND WAIT FOR THE NEXT REPORTS OF BANS/UNBANS. U'RE JUST LUCKY THAT U WERE NOT ONE OF THE FIRST ONES WHO GET FUCKED BY THE HAMMER! SO NINTENDO PROPABLY JUST HAVENT CHECKED U. WHO KNOWS THE PATTERN WH GETS WATCHED FIRST AND SORTED OUT. IMAGINE THEY RE LOOKING AT US; AND THE DATA; AND BAN US. AND NOW THEY HAVE TO DO MORE IMPORTANT THINGS; SO THEY JUST HAVE NO TIME TO BAN EVERYONE. OR THEY JUST TOOK A BREAK; AND NEXT WATCHED PERSON WILL BE U. MAN U'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Sorry for caps.

16. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Germany
    Just because YOU weren't hit doesn't actually PROVE that the theory is wrong, statistically our theory is most likely correct, but it is not the ABSOLUTE truth.

17. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

United States
    Why did you ask that aggressively? No I didn't know exactly, only playing Pokemon, I just know it cuts off being online in the game. I probably should've kept my mouth shut and not get such an aggressive reply. Jesus.

18. ShadowEO

United States
    EXACTLY! I've been saying this the entire time, what use would they have to stagger this? They didn't any other time! What use could they have in doing so otherwise? To make it harder for us? They own the system, they can change shit around as they please to defeat us anytime they wish, they don't need to make it explicitly harder for us to do anything.

Whoa man, calm down. This isn't the place to be shouting, we are looking for a calm, civil debate.

TinchoX likes this.
  19. TinchoX

TinchoX Azure Flame Kite

Argentina
    Sorry if that sounded aggressive (even though it wasn't), I was just stating something that I believed was common knowledge among 3DS users.

20. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Sry, got angry of things outside of this thread and was pissed a bit, and everything came up.... Sorry :S

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Regarding, banwave, UPDATE