UPDATE: Regarding the recent 3DS banwave

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Chary, May 25, 2017.

?
  1. Have you ever used a save editor?

235 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. Have you NEVER used a save editor?

123 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Did you have spot pass turned on?

258 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Is your console linked to an NNID, and you were banned?

120 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. Is your console NOT linked to an NNID and you were banned?

49 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    Of course, and I'm fine with agreeing with that. But I don't think it's the "big name" CIAs - and the ban is too widespread to really be down to small-scale stuff.

Frankly, I suspect something like VC Injection. The only VC games I have are legit ones I got off the eShop - I've felt no real need to put new VC games into my system. If I want to play a ROM, I've got a phone and/or other devices that can do that.

If I do, then I do. If I don't, then I don't. It wouldn't be a major loss to me either way - I don't think I've ever really played online, except for some small-scale stuff in Pokemon X.

Which may well be why I'm not hammered.

Also, less coffee, bro. Damn. Haven't seen that many capital letters since I shot ragequitting 12 year-olds in Unreal Tournament.

Meaning that you'd have to find the CIA (or combination of CIAs, or whatever) during whatever timeframe it was to make it work.

All I know is that it's very unlikely to be FBI or HBL, Freeshop possibly but unlikely since people who didn't have that got hammered, and ditto for Luma Updater.

So what could it be?

2. marbles73

marbles73 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2017
    Canada
    Looks like several people need to chill a bit :D

There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the bans, it could be that the ban list is in order of some random ID number and they haven't completed it for whatever reason.

idc likes this.
  3. ShadowEO

ShadowEO GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Ohio, USA
    All good. Just keep it in check, I think the fact that we're literally all debating this like civilized people is the only reason this thread is still open.

@Dark Pulse I think we are finally reaching an understanding of some kind here. As I've been trying to say, a lot of our theories are coinciding with yours. I don't know if it's the wording that's tripping some people up, but definitely something we had been trying to look for.

As for not being banned for them being on the console, I agree completely. It's relatively safe to assume that all CFW users have LumaUpdater, FBI, HBL, and even freeShop in common and we've seen varying reports of users both banned and non-banned with those installed in common, so we weren't looking for those specifically anyway, I was actually ready to rule them out in my own head canon here as I use those apps as well and are not banned on two different consoles.

Last edited by ShadowEO, May 29, 2017
  4. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    CAPS lock is pretty aggressive since in the internet, at least to me, it means yelling. When powering off the console, it does show what is done in Sleep Mode, the only one to note is Spotpass, and again, that is always disabled. So I never thought Sleep Mode was risky for a CFW user. This thread seems to now turn into some fucking shouting match over facts, what's right and what's not.

TinchoX likes this.
  5. Joshwraith

Joshwraith GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2009
    Mexico
    Right now I'm a step closer to unmod my system lol, this is scare, I was thinking in restore my nand before installing any cia but keeping B9S and luma, in fact I just need layeredfs but I'm not sure cause we don't know the real reason of the ban wave, maybe is a tittle in specific or maybe the cfw itself, but right now I think is some tittle the one who got the blame in all this ban wave.

6. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Nov 1, 2016
    Germany
    donut piss wasteland
    That's our main goal right now, finding out what exactly is causing is. We thought that comparing activity log dumps would be the best way of narrowing down possibilities, but we can't really decrypt them yet. Since illegitimate titles are the easiest possible factor for us to focus on, we focus on it.
    Without needed information it's hard to narrow down the real/ exact cause. So we basically are brainstorming rn

7. mercenary96

mercenary96 GBAtemp Regular

May 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Berlin
    This whole thread is just 300 pages of assumptions. Noone here even has any idea about how the homebrew apps or the custom firmwares really work, what reporting databases are and not even how to make a propper poll, with something like survey monkey, which could maybe even give some valuable information (the poll right here is a joke) . Right now you can just use this thread to see if more people are getting banned or even unbanned. I don't think this community here will find the answer. Maybe this will all be forgotten again in some weeks, when no new bans are dropping in or some actual firmware dev will find some real clues in what data is being send from our systems and most likely causes the ban. This could of course also just be the beginning and in the future every custom firmware user will get banned. But time will most likely tell us..

8. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2016
    Germany
    Germany
    That's why I'm not so much online here anymore. I thought i would missing information if i don't read everything here, but checking once or twice a day in enough, since there arent any new infiormations since day one..... Turn off spotpass sharing, friend list and stuff like that. Nothing new. so I'll just wait until something important happens, and even if this info is 200 sites backwards, it's still discussed on actual page. 358 pages of speculation. no (tangible? Im german) proof for anything, just that nintendo is receiving info, and cfw users getting banned. no pattern or smth. we figured out yet.

9. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    Well, based on what I've said, I'd find it highly unlikely to be FBI, HBL, Freeshop, or Luma Updater.

Unless there's more to it than that, but I don't think people would be in many of those for too long. HBL possibly, maybe Freeshop if you're downloading stuff, but by and large people are only in FBI or Luma Updater when they need to be, so I'd imagine runtimes for those are quite low.

Hence why, as I said in another post, my hunch is VC Injection, but I don't know if there's been posts from people who got hammered who didn't do that. If so, that'd disprove my own theory and I'd be just as stumped.

Yep, tangible would be correct. Alternatively, "concrete" would also work.

Last edited by Dark Pulse, May 29, 2017
    toberkel likes this.
  10. ShadowEO

ShadowEO GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Ohio, USA
    Of course it is, and it's not assumptions, it's speculation. If you think we're doing this incorrectly, by all means, please apply your knowledge to assist. We're open to all help. However your assumption that none of us know how homebrew or custom firmwares really work is baseless and incorrect. Some of us actually do have development experience, thank you much.

The thread was actually hijacked from it's OP a long time ago, the OP isn't truly relevant to the conversation anymore.

sleepymanakete likes this.
  11. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2016
    Germany
    Germany
    Okay, what is VC Injection? Just download cias + install? Would be nice to get explained, because then i can tell if I've don it or not. Dunno what this vc injection is. google tells me something about virtual cards (GBA NES etc.) Is it that? And how do u inject them? If somebody wanna explain short, or give me a link, would be nice, thx in advance :3

12. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    Basically, hacking a Virtual Console game to put another game ROM inside of it.

iEnzan, nitroBW and toberkel like this.
  13. toberkel

toberkel GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2016
    Germany
    Germany
    THX! Never done it i think.... As far as i Know. Got CFW A week ago on my banned 3ds system. and can't remember I had done this.

14. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    Mmm, then it's not that.

If you'd done it, you'd know. If you only ever got Virtual Console stuff off eShop/freeshop, none of that is injected ROMs.

15. Razaele

Razaele Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2016
    I'm banned and I didn't do VC Injects...

16. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    Then yeah, it's not that, and so my theory goes poof.

Back to square one, everybody!

ShadowEO likes this.
  17. Razaele

Razaele Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2016
    Can it be we are banned based on playtime? In playtime, I meant how long, recently or frequently did we played with any game in our 3DS.

My 3DS (banned) and my sister's (not banned) have almost the same titles, same number of legit games vs number of non-legit games, same CFW installed on the same day, but the only difference we had is the length of time we spent playing with our 3DS.

I have played last May 21st and she played maybe (she cannot remember when, doesn't have the time to look in her logs) last month.

DrkBeam and RustInPeace like this.
  18. mercenary96

mercenary96 GBAtemp Regular

May 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Berlin
    Okay so from my point of view, we can only really support from the data that we can provide:

Make a proper survey with some free online survey provider. Put in as much questions and distinctions as possible, but leave every personal information out (poll can even stay anonymous). Only share the poll link here and maybe put a control group question in there (like let people write "test123" in one field, so we know for sure that the people doing the poll came from here and aren't some trolls). Make the first distinction, if you are banned or not and then add all questions/distinctions from what we know already, and what we don't know yet, like "how many friends are in your list" , which is your "ds region" and the "region from where you play" , did you "play online the last months" , "which are games that you played" and so on. Then let people do the survey and share the results with some people that know how to extract information and filter the outcome and try to make some educated guesses from that. This might have to be changed, updated and maybe re-done a lot, if we get new ideas and STILL in the end, it might be that we don't find anything in common at all. But at least you would get some proper numbers there.

ShadowEO likes this.
  19. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    I've had Pokemon Sun on for basically weeks at a time, albeit mostly in sleep mode.

And frankly, if Nintendo is banning because you're playing a game too much, that's one of the silliest ban reasons ever.

20. Gerhard

Gerhard Newbie

Newcomer
    May 29, 2017
    Mexico
    I don't think we know. It's POSSIBLE that Nintendo only scanned for certain activity for a certain period of time but there's reports of people that hadn't played in months still getting the ban so it doesn't seem to be. You are a in a good position to experiment though, see if there's any difference between both 3DS as far as system settings, browser usage and installed stuff goes.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted