Gaming Upcoming triple-A games

lazyman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Just wanted to hear what people see as the potential triple-A, 85%+ Metacritic, buy on launch day etc games that will be coming out in the next year on Wii. I've enjoyed the games on the Wii quite a bit since its launch, however my aging PC has left me missing out on my favorite genre (FPS's) and so I'm thinking about trading in the Wii and getting a 360.

The big games I'm aware of are Mario Kart and Smash Bros., but nothing else has really caught my attention or fired my imagination. So what top tier games are you looking forward to?

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to hear what people see as the potential triple-A, 85%+ Metacritic, buy on launch day etc games that will be coming out in the next year on Wii. I've enjoyed the games on the Wii quite a bit since its launch, however my aging PC has left me missing out on my favorite genre (FPS's) and so I'm thinking about trading in the Wii and getting a 360.

The big games I'm aware of are Mario Kart and Smash Bros., but nothing else has really caught my attention or fired my imagination. So what top tier games are you looking forward to?
New Mario Kart? When was this?

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Mario Kart and Smash Bros. come to my mind too.
But there is also some not AAA titles like No More Heroes, Final Fantasy: CC and Elder Scrolls. (There is not much info about the last two).

If you get a 360, FPSs is 80% of the console fun, really. The PS3 IMO is the more balanced BUT it has fewer games.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But there is also some not AAA titles like No More Heroes, Final Fantasy: CC and Elder Scrolls.

wtf.gif

I think I actually remember reading something about that a while back, but if I did, I totally forgot. Elder Scrolls should be amazing on the Wii. Wonder if Bethesda is actually working on it, or if it's being farmed out.
unsure.gif

Other up-coming titles I can think of? I'm actually still looking forward to Endless Ocean, though I'm certain it will be a niche title. Worms: A Space Oddity is sure to be good, but I've got Worms on the DS and that's enough for me. House of the Dead 2 & 3 might be fun, as might Obscure. Mushroom Men's Q2, and it has promise.

lazyman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Mario Kart was shown in video form at E3 I believe Hiratai.

The latest round of previews for No More Heroes have sounded pretty luke warm unfortunately. Hopefully it will turn out to be a solid game, but to be honest I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Regarding the other games you mentioned VVoltz, the chances of pulling off a solid implementation of Elder Scrolls seem a little low considering the hardware resources that game was originally developed for. I'm not saying it's impossible to bring that game across to Wii while keeping it fun, just that it would be a real challenge with a high chance of failure.

I must say no real standouts mentioned so far. I wonder if Nintendo is sitting on any big game announcements? So far next year is looking a little thin, but then again you never know when a 'Zack & Wiki' quality game will appear out of nowhere.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart was shown in video form at E3 I believe Hiratai.

The latest round of previews for No More Heroes have sounded pretty luke warm unfortunately. Hopefully it will turn out to be a solid game, but to be honest I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Regarding the other games you mentioned VVoltz, the chances of pulling off a solid implementation of Elder Scrolls seem a little low considering the hardware resources that game was originally developed for. I'm not saying it's impossible to bring that game across to Wii while keeping it fun, just that it would be a real challenge with a high chance of failure.

I must say no real standouts mentioned so far. I wonder if Nintendo is sitting on any big game announcements? So far next year is looking a little thin, but then again you never know when a 'Zack & Wiki' quality game will appear out of nowhere.
1. No more heroes is out. Peeps who have played say it rocks.
2. Elder scrolls =/=Oblivion. Morrowind or a new title exclusive for wii could work quite well.

But yeah, most of the killer wii games in 08 will be surprise announcements, methinks.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
If you get a 360, FPSs is 80% of the console fun, really. The PS3 IMO is the more balanced BUT it has fewer games.

Not to be off topic but I have a 360 and out of the ten games I have (all of which are great) only 2 are FPSs.

Anywho. Wii has Smash Bros, Zack & Wiki 2 (supposedly), maybe Mario Kart (depends how they handle it) and Wii Fit.

pimpyT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking forward to the Worms game, as well as House of the Dead 2 & 3. If the reviews for No More Heroes is good, then perhaps...

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I suspect that the Wii will have no more than 2 or 3 must have titles in 2008, from Nintendo themselves we only know of two games that are probably must haves in the form of mario kart and ssbb. It's going to be a tough year for the wii, and perhaps the last it will dominate

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Look at this last year. There were only 2 titles that were "Must Have" (Metroid, Mario) and we ended up with sonic, godfather, scarface, zack and wiki, dewey's adventure, kororinpika, Naruto gnt ex 2, REUC (or is this 3xA?) and too many more to name.

The killer games will be unexpected sleeper hits is what I think.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...It's going to be a tough year for the wii, and perhaps the last it will dominate

Maybe...maybe not.

I doubt it though. I think most third parties were hedging their bets to see who would come out on top. Now that it's clear that as a system seller Wii is the winner, I'm betting we're going to see a lot more third-party support this upcoming year. 2007 was proof enough for companies that the Wii is a good place to develop games. Likely, those who were decided to make games for the system, decided sometime around Q2 / Q3 of this year. We'll likely begin hearing announcements Q1 2008 for upcoming third-party titles. Whether or not any of those will be AAA-games...well, who can say. But I do think we're likely to see the major course change toward the Wii many folks have been suspecting would take place among game makers.

Of course, I could be completely wrong...
tongue.gif

lazyman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Now that it's clear that as a system seller Wii is the winner, I'm betting we're going to see a lot more third-party support this upcoming year. 2007 was proof enough for companies that the Wii is a good place to develop games. Likely, those who were decided to make games for the system, decided sometime around Q2 / Q3 of this year. We'll likely begin hearing announcements Q1 2008 for upcoming third-party titles. Whether or not any of those will be AAA-games...well, who can say. But I do think we're likely to see the major course change toward the Wii many folks have been suspecting would take place among game makers.

Of course, I could be completely wrong...Â
tongue.gif

The only problem with that theory is third party developers must have noticed that other third parties haven't been having huge amounts of success on the Wii. Competition with Nintendo, the demographics of the console owners, low attach rates etc would all seem to detract from the opportunities afforded by a large install base which is the Wii's main advantage.

Of course I to could be (and probably am!) completely wrong....
tongue.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...opportunities afforded by a large install base which is the Wii's main advantage....

I think what you said right there is key. I do agree, and I am concerned about how publishers will approach the Wii in the years to come, but they would be foolish to ignore what is destined to be a huge built-in audience.

Look at last generation. The PS2 was, in terms of processing power, the weakest system of the Big Three, and it still made a clean sweep with respect to console sales. In turn, the library ended up being complete with amazing titles (as well as crap, of course).

I've got faith in the almighty dollar when it comes down to whether or not publishers will bring their A-game to Wii. I think after a couple of years they'll have little choice if they want to hit the really big share of the market and stay competitive against what else will eventually crop up on the system. But a lot of that may up being WiiWare software, as opposed to retail product.

Daimakaimura

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I suspect that the Wii will have no more than 2 or 3 must have titles in 2008, from Nintendo themselves we only know of two games that are probably must haves in the form of mario kart and ssbb. It's going to be a tough year for the wii, and perhaps the last it will dominate

i got this feeling too
it's the same thing as with the Gamecube
unsure.gif

Nintendo Disrespects their Hardcore fans in everyway possible (IMO)

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hope Fire Emblem comes out in 2008 for the UK. House of the Dead series is a nice surprise. Anything else is a bonus. I doubt it will be Oblivion, but an Elder Scrolls game would be interesting. The new Dragon Quest game might be ok too.

Timbaman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, since Smash Bros Melee has entertained me for about 5 or 6 years, I don't really care much for other games
biggrin.gif

I am hoping for a Pikmin announcement though
bow.gif

I sometimes do wonder what Ninty is thinking, IMO they could be making a lot more money if they made more sequels to games. Like a new New super mario bros, add more powerups or something. Or Mario Kart DS-2: cheat-free, 8 player wifi, level builder or some sort of customization..

But that's not Nintendo I guess..

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country

Not to be off topic but I have a 360 and out of the ten games I have (all of which are great) only 2 are FPSs.

Anywho. Wii has Smash Bros, Zack & Wiki 2 (supposedly), maybe Mario Kart (depends how they handle it) and Wii Fit.

Yes Opium, you are correct, the truth is that only the latest batch of games have been FPSs/Shooters.

I'll look for the links and info on the announced Elder Scroll games when I get home. But in advance I can tell it was just a statement (don't remember if from Bethesda themselves) that the engine was being ported to the Wii in order to release an Elder Scroll game in the near (?) future.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS3 relies more on FPS's for it's 80%+ metacritic games than 360. So I don't know where the cliche of "360 is only FPS" comes from. I don't own either system by the way, but I can "sort by score" on metacritic.

However, if you're a PC gamer, stick with the PC. Build this guy for $500:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13660/2

Since everything is multiplatform these days, PC gaming is coming back strong.

Back on topic,

Hyped Wii games of 2008 that have been announced:
Wii Fit
Rock Band (rumor)
Mario Kart
SSBB
Monster Hunter 3
am I missing any?

As irpacynot said, Wii has the install base. Publishers didn't realize this until early '07, so major development from Konami, Capcom, Square, and Namco began this summer. A good game takes 2 - 4 years to complete, so third party games will arrive in '09 and '10. That's a looong time to wait, hopefully it will be worth it.

Keep in mind that big budgets and hype doesn't mean quality game. Lair anyone?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going back to a game someone mentioned earlier, I couldn't find anything on a version of Elder Scrolls coming to Wii, except for a statement from Bethesda stating that Oblivion couldn't be done on the system.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh