Untitled Goose Game's publisher is making a gaming handheld that has a crank on the side

wuCBV4U.png

Publisher Panic Inc. is jumping into the gaming hardware market with a new, quirky invention. Panic is known for being a mobile app developer, though they have had prior experience with the gaming industry through publishing 2016's hit indie game Firewatch, and are currently in the process of publishing the wildly odd Untitled Goose Game. Now, the company feels it's the perfect time to get into the hardware market by creating the Playdate, a small handheld gaming device. It bears a striking yellow shell and features a traditional layout of a D-pad and two face buttons. The screen is a 400x240 LCD, which Panic boasts as being "extremely sharp and clear", and outputs only in black and white.

What stands out the most about the Playdate is that there is a crank on the right side of the system. This oddity will be used as an analog input for games that "will put a whole new spin on games", as quipped by Panic. Launching in early 2020, the Playdate will cost $149, and will be in short supply. Twelve games are planned for launch, with Keita Takahashi (Katamari Damacy), Shaun Inman (The Last Rocket), and Bennet Foddy (QWOP, Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy) slated to be some of the developers working on titles for the system.

If anything, the Playdate is certainly a unique product. More information will be coming in the future, so if you're interested in the weird little yellow handheld gaming device that has a crank on the side, be sure keep an eye out for further updates.

:arrow: Source

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Using the crank to control time in that game is pretty cool actually, though I imagine it being tiring after a while. Wouldn't get it though, and I'm going to guess that those free 20 games are mostly going to be mini games.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So now we know why the Goose game has been delayed... And doesn't have a title yet. Because of this stupid trash distraction. GET BACK TO THE GAME!!! >_>

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd like to test it! I love the fact you can (or have to) play it in direct sunlight is a definite plus :)
But $150... You can buy a nice vita (or 3ds), they've got loads of games (more then 12!) and even have colour!
Hmm, I allready have a perfect console with no backlight and lots of games (and you can pick one up for $20 !). Ok, it hasn't got nice aluminium and no crank but you can get one in yellow...

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to test it! I love the fact you can (or have to) play it in direct sunlight is a definite plus :)
But $150... You can buy a nice vita (or 3ds), they've got loads of games (more then 12!) and even have colour!
Hmm, I allready have a perfect console with no backlight and lots of games (and you can pick one up for $20 !). Ok, it hasn't got nice aluminium and no crank but you can get one in yellow...
Doesn't matter what you got or can get as this wil hav different games

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was completely on-board until I read the price. Yeah, they can keep their system.
Dont think you realise the hours effort people put into making electronics and gsmes - people got make a living thers costs for parts costs for labour anyone who complains about 150 dollars is just a moaner

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dont think you realise the hours effort people put into making electronics and gsmes - people got make a living thers costs for parts costs for labour anyone who complains about 150 dollars is just a moaner

The black and white aspect is what kills it for me. No prospects of homebrew.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

atypicalchaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There isn't a video. So yeah, still stupid.

Just googled "hand crank video game" and clicked videos - first result :P

I'm so disappointed that the crank doesn't charge the device. That would make it worth 80-100ish imo (to me at least)

Still a neat mechanic but with a black and white screen I imagine it would take less power (making it seem even more like the crank should charge it)...I wonder if it's backlit....

Last edited by atypicalchaos,

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
Im weirdly on board for this... Mainly because this is this kind of thing that nobody would buy based on hardware and cost... So that leaves games. I do want to see if the games are good and if they are Ill be picking one up.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would start considering it for $5-20. For $150 it's a joke. A bad joke.
Also, crank gameplay sounds really, really stupid, since it can only rotate.
It's pretty much a one-dimension controller, can't compare to the 32+ of an actual analog stick, or even the 2 from a D-pad.
The sole advantage is fine-tuning the movement, which could be done with a single modifier button on an usual d-pad.
It will also get tiresome after a while.

Overall, terrible idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system