Unresponsive Face Buttons

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by aotnemrot, Oct 18, 2014.

1. aotnemrot
    OP

aotnemrot Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2013
    A couple of days ago my 3DS' x button stopped working unless I applied a lot of pressure, I found this odd because it was so sudden, so I opened my 3DS hoping to remove whatever was obstructing the button. After a few scares while opening it ( I had never done it before) I found nothing physically obstructing the button, or the contact with the circuit board, does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

2. sliver123

sliver123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 7, 2009
    Netherlands
    Zuid-Holland
    http://smilecitrus.info/?p=2929 Did you saw this?

3. aotnemrot
    OP

aotnemrot Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2013
    Yes, I saw it, and mine was much cleaner, lol. I tried everything there except peeling the contacts because I was scared of doing that, I guess I'll bite the bullet and try it, thanks for the help anyways.

4. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    You can reapply the same contacts even after lifting them to clean underneath. Even if the adhesive is worn out and no longer sticky, the contacts are held in place securely once you screw everything back together, so you don't have to worry too much about damaging them. Just don't use a tool that's too sharp. It's safest to use just your fingernails so you don't scratch the motherboard..

5. aotnemrot
    OP

aotnemrot Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2013
    I'm having a really hard time peeling the adhesive thing back, any advice?

6. SmileCitrus

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    The adhesive is very strong, but if you just peel back slowly with your fingernail or a toothpick the contacts should come up. If it's only the X button that you're having trouble with you don't need to peel the whole thing off. Just try to peel up the section of the contact pad for the X button and you can leave the other 3/4ths alone.

7. aotnemrot
    OP

aotnemrot Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2013
    Well, I managed to remove it, it looked clean underneath, I cleaned it with nail polish remover anyways, waiting for it to dry now, I'll report what happens.

8. aotnemrot
    OP

aotnemrot Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2013
    SUCCESS! (Somewhat)
    The X button now responds with only slightly more pressure than the other buttons. Thanks for the help, everyone.

9. SmileCitrus

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    That's great. Glad to hear it worked out for the most part.