"It's not only the PSP scene celebrating with a bang this new year. Even the iPhone owners have reason to celebrate: the iPhone Dev-Team has released their iPhone 3G unlocking application, yellowsn0w. Yep yeap, just as promised, it's here and it's for everyone's perusal now!
To give you a lowdown on how it works, here are some notes from th Dev-Team
* The unlock works exclusively with baseband 02.28.00. This baseband is provided by the latest firmware update (2.2) from Apple. You’ll need to upgrade to this release using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to activate etc. There are plenty of tutorials about this on iclarified, bigboss, modmi and other established tutorial sites. Because it works on 02.28.00, it is available to everyone on the planet. This means we don’t need to unnecessarily expose holes in earlier basebands, which is an important concern.
* The application is a small daemon that is launched on boot. It injects the payload at boot and also whenever there is a baseband reset. You won’t notice anything about it other than that your third-party sim now works. It’s a small program and unobtrusive. There is no GUI (this is by design).
* You can add the application using the sources outlined below. There are Cydia and Installer sources available, so use whichever you are comfortable using.
* yellowsn0w is completely removable through Cydia, the command line, and iTunes.
* There is a known issue with SIM cards that have STK (SIM Toolkit) application menus. These menus are usually items such as “top up” “get credit” “lotto numbers” etc. These menu items confuse the application sometimes. Removing and reinserting the SIM once after reboot (give it about 60 seconds (with v0.9.1) after you see the slide to unlock widget) fixes this issue. We’re working on a better fix. Update: version 0.9.4 fixes this for many (but probably not all) users who previously had to wait a minute and then replug the sim.
* For those of you using SIM cards without STK menus, the application has some optional arguments that will make the unlock much faster for you. So either experiment on your own (use “yellowsn0w -h” for usage) or wait for a customization writeup.
* After you install yellowsn0w via Cydia, you should return to the Cydia main menu then reboot your iPhone with the 3rd party SIM installed. Wait for the slide to unlock screen, then wait 10 or 15 secs more. If you don’t see your carrier name pop up, then remove your SIM, reinsert it, and wait 10 secs more. This is the step we’ll be working on eliminating next.
* The application is version 0.9.5 This is considered beta software, you use it at your own risk. You know the score.
* The application is released on a non-commerical basis. Please do not accept pirates and scummy ripoffs of this software. We license this software for single use and in a non-commerical environment (meaning you can’t charge for it). The techniques and methods used are not to be used by third party companies. We are watching you Jody…we won’t be so forgiving this time.
* Direct linking to the repository URLs is prohibited, please only link to this post. We will be checking referers.
* Happy 2009 and enjoy!
And those aren't the full notes for the release yet either. You should look at the source link below for more updates from the Dev-Team, as well as give them some much needed feedback too."