• Replies 152
  • Likes 3

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No government funded institution should promote using birth control. It is not their job. I don't think teaching kids about sex is terrible for our society. I just think the family should do it and not the government, because the government encourages them to use birth control while I would encourage them not to have sex in the first place.

Why would you encourage them not to have sex? Not that it would matter, they would probably even do it more if you discouraged it.
I agree we shouldn't say 'You have to have sex!', but a good sex education is certainly necessary.
I disagree that the family should do it. Kids have to go to school anyway, so that's a good place to teach about how to have safe sex. Of course there should always be room inside the family for questions about sex.

But guys please (this goes to anyone flaming here), the whole thing was blown up by the media to an orgy, while it was just an encouragement to have safe sex. I don't think the University and anyone in their right mind would really think that everyone would be having sex all over the place.
The goal was to promote safe sex. Since this many people came to the event (but not necessarilly had sex) I would say that they succeeded in their goal.

Reactions: rad140

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
If people act ridiculous they certainly should be ridiculed. As described in the video, it would be a giant sex orgy which is mentally unhealthy and disgusting. I think my calling it out of line would certainly fly in most places. If it wouldn't fly in most places, is that a reason for me to not say it? Socrates said plenty of things that were "out of line" and he was sentenced to death for corrupting the youth (despite being correct). If something is ethically wrong, it should be spoken out against even if it would not fly anywhere.

It already happened. Most people played Twister and ate pizza and talked about sex. There were demonstrations about some common sex fetishes. Yeah, there was sex but it was in private rooms away from most people. There was an age limit of 35, no phone use after 6pm (clothing was optional @ 7pm) and a valid email + student ID was required to get in.

It was so popular the club was full to capacity and hundreds were lined up outside to get in. The club is planning to offer a weekly student night in the future.

So, it wasn't a free-for-all nor was it some "giant sex orgy". Your fears are overblown and unfounded.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a university we're talking about. This could lead to some statistics or data or whatever and be a solid proof of actual chances of STD's and whatnot, so who knows what they'll find out.
So you're okay with people putting themselves at risk all for the sake of statistics? Good to know...
Before you bring it up, I'm completely aware that precautions are being taken so that this won't happen, but the risks are still there. Also, from your wording it sounds like you want people to get STD's in order to get better statistics that may or may not come from this.
As for the people bitching about the cities and shit, shut up, totally off topic. Toronto's big, we get it. Stop talking about bullshit like Quebec leaving or not leaving or that shit.
I'll talk about whatever I want. In cases like this I specifically spoiler my posts and name it as "Off-Topic" so people can skip over it if they so choose. Discussions like this lead to other discussions. There is nothing wrong with a minor derail, it's the huge derails that cause the problem. I also try to end the conversation as quickly as possible so as to not keep derailing.

Reactions: tatripp

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you're okay with people putting themselves at risk all for the sake of statistics? Good to know...
Before you bring it up, I'm completely aware that precautions are being taken so that this won't happen, but the risks are still there. Also, from your wording it sounds like you want people to get STD's in order to get better statistics that may or may not come from this.
I'll talk about whatever I want. In cases like this I specifically spoiler my posts and name it as "Off-Topic" so people can skip over it if they so choose. Discussions like this lead to other discussions. There is nothing wrong with a minor derail, it's the huge derails that cause the problem. I also try to end the conversation as quickly as possible so as to not keep derailing.
I didn't say that, you did.

You're talking as if they're going into this without knowing the risks. Obviously they do. It's their choice. And no I didn't say I want them to get STD's, I said it could lead to something great. I support their decision for doing this, I support them all the way. I think it's a great cause, and as I said in my first post in my thread, if I was in Toronto I would be interested in possibly going myself.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you encourage them not to have sex? Not that it would matter, they would probably even do it more if you discouraged it.
I agree we shouldn't say 'You have to have sex!', but a good sex education is certainly necessary.
I disagree that the family should do it. Kids have to go to school anyway, so that's a good place to teach about how to have safe sex. Of course there should always be room inside the family for questions about sex.

But guys please (this goes to anyone flaming here), the whole thing was blown up by the media to an orgy, while it was just an encouragement to have safe sex. I don't think the University and anyone in their right mind would really think that everyone would be having sex all over the place.
The goal was to promote safe sex. Since this many people came to the event (but not necessarilly had sex) I would say that they succeeded in their goal.
I didn't know how much it was blown out of the media but that doesn't change the fact that it is wrong. The university shouldn't encourage them to have sex just as much as it shouldn't encourage them not to have sex. No one who attended the event learned anything about "safe sex." It really isn't complicated. The family absolutely should teach about sex, but I understand that some families just wouldn't do it. That, however, does not mean that is the government's role. Those kids will learn about sex like people have done for thousands of years without the help of government funding. I would be furious if government funding tried to teach my child (who I have not created yet) about "safe sex" because they encourage sex. If people are for birth control, they are certainly smart enough to use it if they so choose. They already know the consequences if they do not choose to use it.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I didn't know how much it was blown out of the media but that doesn't change the fact that it is wrong. The university shouldn't encourage them to have sex just as much as it shouldn't encourage them not to have sex. No one who attended the event learned anything about "safe sex." It really isn't complicated. The family absolutely should teach about sex, but i understand that some families just wouldn't do it. That, however, does not mean that is the government's role. Those kids will learn about sex like people have done for thousands of years without the help of government funding. I would be furious if government funding tried to teach my child (who I have not created yet) about "safe sex" because they encourage sex. If people are for birth control, they are certainly smart enough to use it if they so choose. They already know the consequences if they do not choose to use it.
They don't teach about safe sex to encourage sex, but to warn them about the dangers and how to protect yourself against those dangers IF you have sex. That's completely different.
Also you say that the family should teach about (safe) sex, but the older generation (the parents) isn't always as up to date to that.
I still hear a lot of misconceptions about safe sex from parents (including even mine).
And why do you always bring that 'government sex funding' inside the discussion. Most of the times it's the schools themself who teach it, the government doesn't have anything to do with it.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They don't teach about safe sex to encourage sex, but to warn them about the dangers and how to protect yourself against those dangers IF you have sex. That's completely different.
Also you say that the family should teach about (safe) sex, but the older generation (the parents) isn't always as up to date to that.
I still hear a lot of misconceptions about safe sex from parents (including even mine).
And why do you always bring that 'government sex funding' inside the discussion. Most of the times it's the schools themself who teach it, the government doesn't have anything to do with it.

in the states sex ed is required by the government

but no, I believe it shouldn't be taught by the parents. most parents don't know enough to teach their kids about sex. most parents have no idea the crazy shit kids are exposed to these days and most parents will let their misguided moral compasses dictate what their kids should and should not learn. my partner raged and complained about our kid's sex ed week at school, if it was up to him he would tell him that girls have teeth in their vagina and the teeth don't fall out till they turn 30.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a publicly funded school (which means that it is government instituted) is using students' tuition to pay for something, it is in some way funded by the government. The government may not be making the school run these types of events, but it is still a public school and should have certain standards. The truly misleading thing is calling sex with a condom safe. Not only is there a chance of pregnancy, but it doesn't always prevent STDs.
Most sex education groups that i have been unfortunate enough to read about or observe have the philosophy that you should wait for sex but you should use a condom if you can't control your urges which is a lot different than simply explaining to someone the consequences of sex (even with contraception).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
in the states sex ed is required by the government

but no, I believe it shouldn't be taught by the parents. most parents don't know enough to teach their kids about sex. most parents have no idea the crazy shit kids are exposed to these days and most parents will let their misguided moral compasses dictate what their kids should and should not learn. my partner raged and complained about our kid's sex ed week at school, if it was up to him he would tell him that girls have teeth in their vagina and the teeth don't fall out till they turn 30.
So in other words.. parents don't have a right to teach their kids something such as sex. You're taking away their right as parents. Some parents don't want schools or anybody teaching them, and want to teach them themselves to try and raise them their way, they don't have a right to do that?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So in other words.. parents don't have a right to teach their kids something such as sex. You're taking away their right as parents. Some parents don't want schools or anybody teaching them, and want to teach them themselves to try and raise them their way, they don't have a right to do that?

no they have the right, but the kids should have the right at correct information about sex and the parents shouldn't have the right to impede that.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no they have the right, but the kids should have the right at correct information about sex and the parents shouldn't have the right to impede that.

But it's still up to the parents if they want their kids to learn about it at school. So parents do have a right to impede if they think it's right. But even then, a lot of parents aren't as dumb as people think and actually know just as much about sex as another person.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If a publicly funded school (which means that it is government instituted) is using students' tuition to pay for something, it is in some way funded by the government. The government may not be making the school run these types of events, but it is still a public school and should have certain standards. The truly misleading thing is calling sex with a condom safe. Not only is there a chance of pregnancy, but it doesn't always prevent STDs.
Most sex education groups that i have been unfortunate enough to read about or observe have the philosophy that you should wait for sex but you should use a condom if you can't control your urges which is a lot different than simply explaining to someone the consequences of sex (even with contraception).
So...schools should teach abstinence?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But it's still up to the parents if they want their kids to learn about it at school. So parents do have a right to impede if they think it's right. But even then, a lot of parents aren't as dumb as people think and actually know just as much about sex as another person.

it is in certain grade levels. at least in california when you get to high school, it is required by the state, you can't opt out. in middle school the parent can waive their kids out of sex ed classes.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No government funded institution should promote using birth control. It is not their job. I don't think teaching kids about sex is terrible for our society. I just think the family should do it and not the government, because the government encourages them to use birth control while I would encourage them not to have sex in the first place.

You seem to think that universities are publicly funded. They are not. On occasion the federal or provincial government will give universities grants for specific programs or developing special facilities that will be used for more then just the end needs of the school, such as research buildings, however 95% of the money going into the university comes from tuition fees and sponsorship from companies to do research and development programs. I am pretty sure a private institution with students who are all legally adults under provincial and federal law, have a right to participate this kind of event.

That said, I am personally tired of people like you who think that we shouldn't be teaching sexual education in school. They taught it to me when I was a youth, which wasn't that bloody long ago to be honest, we are talking 10-12 years ago, and in my honest opinion, my views on sex are a lot less frivolous then those who have had zero sex education. Young people think they can just go out and have sex with whomever they want without using protection, and then we as a society wonder why so many teenage girls are getting pregnant before they are even finished high school. Young people don't understand consequences, people act like they are just supposed to know better and what is going to happen if you find out that little Johnny or Susie came home with herpes because they were fooling around with someone who had an STD and didn't tell them?

Seriously, the only people who complain about sex education in the classroom are religious zealots and people who think that it should be up to the parents to teach their kids. My parents didn't need to teach me anything about sex because the school did it for them, and the lessons are no different, the opinions on the subject are no more or less biased.

In Canada it's different. Sex Ed isn't mandatory at all.
No, it isn't mandatory and as I recall, they only taught sex education a couple of times in high school. I believe they touched on it when I was in grade 9 and again in grade 10. And high school seems to be the ideal time to teach it to be perfectly honest, if parents don't think their kids are mature enough for those lessons by the time they hit 14, they are in for a rude awakening if their kids start getting into doing drugs and partying all the time while they are still in high school.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In Canada it's different. Sex Ed isn't mandatory at all.
No, it isn't mandatory and as I recall, they only taught sex education a couple of times in high school.
I know that there is a class that is mandatory, and within that class they cover all the big subjects; drugs, alcohol, sex, personal financing, etc. But not every part is required to be taken. I opted out of taking the sex ed part and my teacher just made me write an essay on what my current views on the subject were.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know that there is a class that is mandatory, and within that class they cover all the big subjects; drugs, alcohol, sex, personal financing, etc. But not every part is required to be taken. I opted out of taking the sex ed part and my teacher just made me write an essay on what my current views on the subject were.

Must differ from school district to school district.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Must differ from school district to school district.
Unless they took that class out since I took it (which was only two years ago, and I don't think this is the case because I've heard people talking about taking the class still) then I would think it does differ. Here the class is called Planning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps