Universe age!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you think the universe age is or what you think about it at all? :) Have a good day too!

Why all the highly unnecessary acronyms?

That being said, the universe has an age. Or at least, from when the big bang happened to now, there has been a measurable amount of time that has happened. We're getting there, and slowly getting more and more accurate as we learn more and more. But whether we can figure it out or not doesn't negate the fact it does indeed have an age.

Reactions: WeedZ

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool that you are getting into science, and you are mostly right, but I think you are misunderstanding how cosmic expansion relates to us knowing the age of the universe.

Basically, there is no center of the universe. Sure, there is the center of mass, but god knows where that is, and it doesn't really matter. Because there is no center, for the sake of simplicity, lets take the earth as the center.
Back when the big bang happened, the clump of energy/particles/quantumness that would later become the earth was squished up against all the other energy/matter in the universe. Then BAM. Everything expanded.
Now, because we are centering ourselves on Earth, from our perspective, most all other matter is flying away from us at near the speed of light. Now, going to present day, we can look at this matter (what we now see as background radiation) and use red-shift plus the fact that we know it traveled away at near the speed of light to calculate that it has been moving away for about 13.8 billion years. So that's where we get the age of the universe from.

You are half right in saying there are galaxies beyond our 13.8 billion light year vision that we cannot see. We actually can see that far... sort of. But what we see at those ranges is what existed 13.8 billion years ago: nothing. So there are galaxies that are invisible to us, but that doesn't mean the universe is older or younger.

Last edited by Deboog,

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
What is that Space Web you're reffering to?
Space web or Cosmic web im talking about this

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's cool that you are getting into science, and you are mostly right, but I think you are misunderstanding how cosmic expansion relates to us knowing the age of the universe.

Basically, there is no center of the universe. Sure, there is the center of mass, but god knows where that is, and it doesn't really matter. Because there is no center, for the sake of simplicity, lets take the earth as the center.
Back when the big bang happened, the clump of energy/particles/quantumness that would later become the earth was squished up against all the other energy/matter in the universe. Then BAM. Everything expanded.
Now, because we are centering ourselves on Earth, from our perspective, most all other matter is flying away from us at near the speed of light. Now, going to present day, we can look at this matter (what we now see as background radiation) and use red-shift plus the fact that we know it traveled away at near the speed of light to calculate that it has been moving away for about 13.8 billion years. So that's where we get the age of the universe from.

You are half right in saying there are galaxies beyond our 13.8 billion light year vision that we cannot see. We actually can see that far... sort of. But what we see at those ranges is what existed 13.8 billion years ago: nothing. So there are galaxies that are invisible to us, but that doesn't mean the universe is older or younger.

Just check the video in this post where to you see a big bang doing strange web like this?

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Interesting topic about someone who's curious about science.

I encourage you to get more involved in science. You'll see things a different way and you'll understand a lot about human behavior in the process.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
Interesting topic about someone who's curious about science.

I encourage you to get more involved in science. You'll see things a different way and you'll understand a lot about human behavior in the process.

Well i agree with the first part but the second i already know everything i need to know about human , we are a virus for the earth.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i agree with the first part but the second i already know everything i need to know about human , we are a virus for the earth.

Whoa! Don't lump me in with you! Earth loves me. Every night before I go to bed I water the soil using my dog. Also, the universe is old enough to qualify for AARP.

Reactions: TEINDTPA and Deboog

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This line. This line right here. This is just begging for a religious debate.

And we all know how that would end....
Christian Temper: Fuck Moses!
Jewish Temper: Fuck Jesus!
Christian Temper: <enraged scream>
Jewish Temper: <enraged scream>
*Short Pause*
Both: <enraged scream>

Last edited by dpad_5678,
Reactions: Logan Pockrus

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
Christian Temper: AAAAHHH!!
Jewish Temper: AAAAHHH!!

Please don't bring anything religious here ..... what i meant to say is if we really find the age of universe or how it was created it would mean it was build so we could find it...but why why would we such pathetic being ...human so close , all those mathematics we learn it seems so deeper...i mean the more you study about universe the more likely it is close to mathematics.. anyway fuck Jesus yeah!

Edit : it seems we have a visitor of some kind the mighty great troll @WeedZ ! Every time you tell me something of any sort in this pot , he will like it for the good of the earth! Because of him every one on earth gonna be save ! hail to the great @Weddz

Comment as you like you will get free like from @WeedZ

Last edited by TEINDTPA,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read the new testament when i was young never saw any earth age of the sort must be because every shit on this book is fake.
Please fuck religions and talk about science..
It doesn't tell you the age straight-up. You have to do the math as you follow the lineage of Man from Genesis to modern day.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
It doesn't tell you the age straight-up. You have to do the math as you follow the lineage of Man from Genesis to modern day.
hum.....hummmmm W T F are you talking about ? I said no religious cmon ... yo you know what iv heard Barack Obama told Putin to build a massive missile to destroy the E.T that are coming next years on september 2017! must be true i saw this on a newspaper!

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hum.....hummmmm W T F are you talking about ? I said no religious cmon ... yo you know what iv heard Barack Obama told Putin to build a massive missile to destroy the E.T that are coming next years on september 2017! must be true i saw this on a newspaper!
That's just silly. We don't need to outsource our missiles to Russia, we can just contract Elon Musk to build it. He could probably even retrieve the rocket after the payload is on its way to reload for the next barrage.

Last edited by grossaffe,

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

The second part is true as well but I was talking about the human behavior, not the end-game.
For instance while you learn about manipulating the laws of the universe to achieve your goal, you will also learn how to manipulate humans in large numbers to achieve another goal.
Both the human brain and the universe are highly complex and extremely intelligent (we claim) and very mysterious.
This is what I mean about learning more about human behavior.

As far as the universe age, you'll know that it's 13.4 billion years old once you get into scientific details even more.
As many people here said:There is no center.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
The second part is true as well but I was talking about the human behavior, not the end-game.
For instance while you learn about manipulating the laws of the universe to achieve your goal, you will also learn how to manipulate humans in large numbers to achieve another goal.
Both the human brain and the universe are highly complex and extremely intelligent (we claim) and very mysterious.
This is what I mean about learning more about human behavior.

As far as the universe age, you'll know that it's 13.4 billion years old once you get into scientific details even more.
As many people here said:There is no center.

Yea if you see some past post iv made the cosmic web prove they are no center at all meaning we probably are in a infinite complex universe!
but 13.4 billion years is what they have calculated because it is what far they see but probably mean nothing except that we cannot see past a certain age of the universe yea we can see 46 billion LY but as far as i know it is limited be our OU so logically we should be older than 13.4b perhaps more like 50-100 billion years but that my theory .

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Christian Temper: <enraged scream>
Jewish Temper: <enraged scream>
*Short Pause*
Both: <enraged scream>
The thing is that Moses was a prophet of God from the perspective of both Jews and Christians. Besides Jewish law that most Christians do not follow, the key difference is that Christians believe Jesus is the savior that Jews have been waiting for, while contemporary Jews do not.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea if you see some past post iv made the cosmic web prove they are no center at all meaning we probably are in a infinite complex universe!
but 13.4 billion years is what they have calculated because it is what far they see but probably mean nothing except that we cannot see past a certain age of the universe yea we can see 46 billion LY but as far as i know it is limited be our OU so logically we should be older than 13.4b perhaps more like 50-100 billion years but that my theory .
We measure the center of the universe (which apparently is everywhere) based on the expansion of space between celestial objects. Basically, instead of everything spreading out from a single point, the space between everything is expanding so if you were to focus on any particular spot in the universe, you would observe that everything else is moving away from that spot, which is due to the expansion of space between everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries