Status
Not open for further replies.

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna ask in psyco's 358/2 trans thread, but it's impossible to make a comment there that's not considered spam.
Anyhow, I know a lot of localizations have terrible voice acting, but from my experience, games that are halfway decent rarely if ever have dubs so bad, I'd rather hear the characters speak a language I don't understand.
Especially laughable is the numerous requests for undubs of Devil Survivor, a game that wasn't dubbed to begin with!
unsure.gif

I'm proud to enjoy my games in 100% English, the only language I speak.
gbasp.gif

So why all the undub reqs?

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
DxEggman said:
I was gonna ask in psyco's 358/2 trans thread, but it's impossible to make a comment there that's not considered spam.
Anyhow, I know a lot of localizations have terrible voice acting, but from my experience, games that are halfway decent rarely if ever have dubs so bad, I'd rather hear the characters speak a language I don't understand.
Especially laughable is the numerous requests for undubs of Devil Survivor, a game that wasn't dubbed to begin with!
unsure.gif

gbasp.gif

don look at me, all i want is a game with decent voice(at the very least a male voicing a male and a female voicing a female) as for undubs there are various reasons, like for valkryie profile, one of the reason was to restore the voice acting that was removed (YES, the U version doesn't have any voice acting aside from the voices during battle, but that's all) , or for some games, like suikoden, some of them wanted to restore battle voices, while others just hate that voice of one of the character esp since he sounds like he was on helium all the time, and another side effect of undub the game was restoring the opening movie.

There are probably more reasons why people wish to undub something, it could be that they are weeaboo or something else like just plain restoring missing items.

Carl326

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
because japanese puns cannot be properly translated into english at times as well as the fact that some of the cultural assuptions for what a person should say changes significantly between the japanese version and the english version (e.g. Girls saying fufu in the undubed version changes into hehe for the dubbed version)

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cuz a lot of people are weeaboos (yea i said it). though i can understand (sub anime>>>>>>>>>>>>dub anime) but in ds games, i just really don't care all that much.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For me, it is the same as watching a dubbed foreign film -- why would you dub a film? It ruins the experience of another culture. I prefer to watch French films in French and Japanese films in Japanese... and Japanese games in Japanese...

If an RPG is set in Tokyo, and obviously Japanese -- why listen to it in English? why Anglo-cize the experience...

I always chose an Undub over an English voice acted Japanese game.

I LOVE UNDUBS!

Posts merged

Charmandersrule said:
But why would you want to undub a game like Rhythm Heaven thats based on songs?

Cos the Japanese songs are... more J-Pop... it suits the game...

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, I pointed out the weeabo stuff in the Devil Survivor thread (I was about to abbreviate Devil Survivor; stupid me). General consensus= people are stupid weeaboos? lololol
rofl2.gif

Also, I did want the Japanese voices for MMZX, only cause the English one took out voices. Im fine with how ZXA turned out.
unsure.gif

NOT ALL ENGLISH DUBS ARE BAD!
yaynds.gif

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DxEggman said:
unsure.gif

gbasp.gif

I feel the same way. I have grown to enjoy dubs much more than reading subtitled versions. Goes for both anime and games. (unless it is a REALLY bad dub) What baffles me is how some people bash dubs no matter how good they are. The fact that some people out there tout the Japanese languages superiority while not even understanding the language outside of the subtitles appearing seems silly to me. I agree that the tones and acting can appear sound better, but I don't think anything beats listening to something you can understand w/o having to read it.

Again, this is just my opinion. When Suikoden DS was released a while back one poster here was actually saying that the English language was ugly and was only good for giving orders and mechanical things. I realize the majority of people don't take this extreme, but I do agree the need to undub everything, no matter how good, has gotten a bit out of hand.

Movies on the other-hand I refuse to listen to dubs. Unless they are for old kung-fu movies. Those dubs are awesome!

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
gbasp.gif

Maybe if you exposed yourself to other languages, English would no longer be the ONLY language you speak... it is very easy to pick up a few words of Japanese while playing an undub -- and if you are learning Japanese, it will certainly help your pronounciation...

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
For me, it is the same as watching a dubbed foreign film -- why would you dub a film? It ruins the experience of another culture. I prefer to watch French films in French and Japanese films in Japanese... and Japanese games in Japanese...

If an RPG is set in Tokyo, and obviously Japanese -- why listen to it in English? why Anglo-cize the experience...

I LOVE UNDUBS!

Posts merged

Charmandersrule said:

Play the god damn japanese version of the game then.

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:

I LOVE UNDUBS!

Posts merged

Charmandersrule said:

Why read a Japanese game in English? Don't be a wussy, go all teh way and learn Japanese!
nyanya.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Law said:
Play the god damn japanese version of the game then.

heh -- i did try... but i got confused with no english instructions...

So after not being able to understand it you play the english version, the version that's in a language you hate so much.

"Well you see I want the game in japanese, but I can't actually understand the language! If only there was some way to make the game like a loaf of Hovis best of both, half english and half japanese for all of my kawaii desu-ne~ pleasure nyoro~n!"

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
you play the english version, the version that's in a language you hate so much.

Did I say I hate english?
wacko.gif
I think you must be confused... all I actually said was that I prefer to listen to a Japanese soundtrack and voice acting when I play a Japanese game...

I would never consider playing something like GTA: China town wars in japanese -- because it is obviously an American game...

It is a very simple concept really... experience the game how it was intended to be experienced by the game makers...

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
Why read a Japanese game in English? Don't be a wussy, go all teh way and learn Japanese!
nyanya.gif

You say this like Japanese can be learned in a week or two...

blink.gif

I can read a few dozen Kanji and all the Katakana... But it takes years and years to learn to read Japanese...

Senbonzaku101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
Law said:
you play the english version, the version that's in a language you hate so much.

Did I say I hate english?
wacko.gif
I think you must be confused... all I actually said was that I prefer to listen to a Japanese soundtrack and voice acting when I play a Japanese game...

I would never consider playing something like GTA: China town wars in japanese -- because it is obviously an American game...

It is a very concept simple really... experience the game how it was intended to be experienced by the game makers...

Yes, this.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are many reasons Japanese in particular is awkward dubbed into English. Japanese is more terse and spoken faster than English. This may or may not be an issue in a game depending on how it's coded. Suikoden Tierkries is an example of this taken to the extreme.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are examples of games with great dubs.

I feel like I've posted this before. LOL

Anyway, from my point of view it's not about some obsession with the Japanese language, or some weeaboo-inspired hatred of everything American. I just prefer the original language. Schizoanalysis worded that pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL