Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Senbonzaku101 said:
Schizoanalysis said:
Law said:
you play the english version, the version that's in a language you hate so much.

Did I say I hate english?
wacko.gif
I think you must be confused... all I actually said was that I prefer to listen to a Japanese soundtrack and voice acting when I play a Japanese game...

I would never consider playing something like GTA: China town wars in japanese -- because it is obviously an American game...

It is a very concept simple really... experience the game how it was intended to be experienced by the game makers...

Yes, this.

Oh look, somebody on GBAtemp missed the joke. i.e. the joke being you. Stop complaining about bad dubs, if you want to play a japanese game, play it in japanese. If you don't want to play it because it has english voice acting, then don't play it. Simple as.

Want Japanese songs in a japanese rythym game? Play the japanese version! Want japanese VA? Play the japanese version. The joke being you play the english version wanting a japanese experience, when if you really did you would just play the japanese version in the first place.

And as a final bad joke, if you love japan so much, go marry it.

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
DxEggman said:
Why read a Japanese game in English? Don't be a wussy, go all teh way and learn Japanese!
nyanya.gif

You say this like Japanese can be learned in a week or two...

blink.gif

I can read a few dozen Kanji and all the Katakana... But it takes years and years to learn to read Japanese...

humor

1. Something funny, e.g. a joke, satire, or parody.

In case you can't tell from the freaking smiley sticking his tongue out, I was JOKING, stupid. Brush up on basic comprehension rather than worrying about Kanji.

I was suggesting that the purity of whatever stupid ass game would be better with full knowledge of Japanese language. The joke coming from the fact that, as you so intelligently pointed out, Japanese is hard to understand. The very idea that one would dedicate such time and effort to learn a new language just to slay some dragons is ....well, its the whole joke, really.

Law, methinks us two are too smart for these 'Tempers. (that was a joke too, fyi)

FehnrirX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I agree with Schizoanalysis. When i playing games, i will prefer hear the original voice actor. Because they know really the situation on the game itself and bring it more lively.

Such as rune factory... I prefer the japanese voice because not only more cute or whatever, but it's really bring the spirit of the game itself to me.

And yet, it all coming back to the gamer itself. For me, undub is very useful to bring the original felling of the game, for those who are quite boring with the annoying voice and want to know the real one, and many more.

Sorry if my english very bad. This is my first time posting in here. I hope everyone could understand what i mean it.

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FehnrirX said:
I agree with Schizoanalysis. When i playing games, i will prefer hear the original voice actor. Because they know really the situation on the game itself and bring it more lively.

Us idiot English speakers couldn't possibly ever know the situation of a god damn video game. Really, Who ever heard of knowing the situation of a game, in English?
unsure.gif

cause game plots are sooooo much different than plots in various animation series.

I get your point but thats a terrible argument based on a ridiculous assumption. I know there are bad Japanese VA's no one here would know cause they can't even speak the language. One can't assume JP VA > US VA.
lecture.gif

How do you know if the actor or actress sucks? That's right, you don't. (Not you specifically, I'm saying "you" as a general term.)

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
Law, methinks us two are too smart for these 'Tempers. (that was a joke too, fyi)

Mhmm... So smart... It is a shame that your smarts are tainted by an irrational hostility though.

Why so hostile? When you are playing a Japanese game, do you want to pretend that it is actually American? Are you angry that it is not American?

Feel free to play your dubbed games... I am not stopping you. I wouldn't presume to tell you which games to play -- but you assume the authority of telling me which games to play (i.e. not Undubs).

Each to their own.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
DxEggman said:

Mhmm... So smart... It is a shame that your smarts are tainted by an irrational hostility though.

Why so hostile? When you are playing a Japanese game, do you want to pretend that it is actually American? Are you angry that it is not American?

Feel free to play your dubbed games... I am not stopping you. I wouldn't presume to tell you which games to play -- but you assume the authority of telling me which games to play (i.e. not Undubs).

Each to their own.

Hostility is a subjective term, what some people may find hostile, others may not.

When I'm playing a japanese game, I don't "pretend" it's an american game, I enjoy it in a language I can actually understand. If I were to pretend it was American I would have to hack the game open, give everybody southern "dixie" style accents and make all the sprites/3d models and character portraits fat.

Honestly, my main issue isn't with you playing "undubbed" games so to say, it's the fact that you said the tracks for the japanese version of a rythym game were better.. so you put the tracks from the japanese version into the english version instead of just playing the japanese version? That's what gets me, not dubbing, undubbing, any of that, just the fact that you actually did that? Really? My god.

Time to go hack Gradius and turn all the power ups into cheese burgers and fries, I guess.

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
The very idea that one would dedicate such time and effort to learn a new language just to slay some dragons is ....well, its the whole joke, really.

:shakes head:

Of course there is NO OTHER application for a knowledge of another language.

a) Having travelled to Japan twice... I can tell you that a knowledge of another language is actualy quite handyif you travel there.

b) It actually does improve job prospects if you have a 2nd or 3rd langauge...

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
That's what gets me, not dubbing, undubbing, any of that, just the fact that you actually did that? Really? My god.

Eh? Downloading either a Dubbed or an Undubbed version is exactly the same effort... no more, no less...

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Law said:
That's what gets me, not dubbing, undubbing, any of that, just the fact that you actually did that? Really? My god.

Eh? Downloading either a Dubbed or an Undubbed version is exactly the same effort... no more, no less...

I never said it took effort.
smileipb2.png

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
DxEggman said:

Each to their own.

First of all, do you know what hostility is? I've been lighthearted about all of this. Hostile would be if I said you're an asshole for wanting undubs. I'm not saying that. My gripe is the reasons people give that make no sense.
Second, STFU about me assuming authority. Nowhere, did I ever in this topic, tell someone they should or shouldn't do jack shit. The fact you think I did makes you officially, an idiot. I was kidding before, but you really need to get off this victim mentality you have. When I play a Japanese game, I know it's fucking Japanese. I like to play it where the characters speak, and the text is in the language i understand. TWEWY is a good example. I know it takes place in Japan. I say to myself I'm in a kinda-but-not-really fictional Japanese city. All these guys are Japanese. When I read the menus, they're in English. When Neku backtalks his partners, I know what he's saying, too! Wow!

"I'm not stopping you"? Don't hold your breath waiting for me to thank you; I'm not trying to stop anything here. And finally, I looove how you point out something I said as hostility, when I quite plainly said that comment was a joke.

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kingfield said:
because some people think it sounds better.

Thank you, we have a good answer.
There's two explanations that are good.
1: Weeaboos.
2: Cause some people like the sound.

Wait a minute.....
unsure.gif

laugh.gif

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
so you put the tracks from the japanese version into the english version instead of just playing the japanese version?

I didnt "put the tracks in" -- I downloaded an undub -- why do you care so much which version of a game I download/play...?

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Law said:
so you put the tracks from the japanese version into the english version instead of just playing the japanese version?

I didnt "put the tracks in" -- I downloaded an undub -- why do you care so much which version of a game I download/play...?

Because you've just illustrated my god damn point. The point I posted a few pages back that you raged at me about.

You want a japanese game, and want to have the full "japanese" experience, yet you do it on an english version of the game when a japanese version is freely available for you to play?

Oh, also I got around to hacking Gradius. I turned it into an AMERICAN game instead of one of those pussy JAPANESE games. I'll post screens in a second.

Edit: See what I did? I replaced the sprite of the power up with cheese burgers! When the Vic Viper eats a cheese burger, it grows slightly larger, the goal of the game is to eat as many cheese burgers as possible before fighting the final boss. You get bonus points if you don't miss a single cheese burger.

25pnzv5.jpg

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
DxEggman said:
The very idea that one would dedicate such time and effort to learn a new language just to slay some dragons is ....well, its the whole joke, really.

a) Having travelled to Japan twice... I can tell you that a knowledge of another language is actualy quite handyif you travel there.

So, you think I don't know that Japanese can be used for non-game purposes? I just wanna be clear,

Me: Dude, imagine if some guy spent 3 years learning Japanese, just so he could play Dragon Quest 9 early. *lols*
rofl2.gif

You:
smileipb2.png
But it can be handy, he can even have a better shot at a great job.

Me: No shit, Layton. Besides the fact that you missed the whole point; he only learned the language so he could play a game, not what you said.

You: You're hostile! I need an adult!

Me:
wtf.gif

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hostility:

DxEggman said:
In case you can't tell from the freaking smiley sticking his tongue out, I was JOKING, stupid.

Authority:

Law said:
Stop complaining about bad dubs, if you want to play a japanese game, play it in japanese.

I realize that the last quote is from Law... but by that time you had ganged up with him:

QUOTE(DxEggman @ Jun 26 2009, 03:40 PM)

DxEggman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic= epic lolz

You think me saying "stupid" is hostile? You're not stupid, you're.....dainty.

Also I haven't ganged up with Law. We happen to think alike; that and the fact that we have GBAtemp accounts are the only common things between me and him (her?).

You need to stop pointing out that quote; the fact that I said it was just a joke makes your logic invalid.
You know, cause I wasn't serious.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
Schizoanalysis said:
DxEggman said:

So, you think I don't know that Japanese can be used for non-game purposes? I just wanna be clear,

Me: Dude, imagine if some guy spent 3 years learning Japanese, just so he could play Dragon Quest 9 early. *lols*
rofl2.gif

You:
smileipb2.png

Me: No shit, Layton. Besides the fact that you missed the whole point; he only learned the language so he could play a game, not what you said.

Me:
wtf.gif

Well it can be used for reading manga too, you know! Especially the hentai kind because people don't seem to translate that stuff...

Not that I'd know,
smileipb2.png

QUOTEAuthority:

QUOTE(Law @ Jun 26 2009, 03:38 PM)
Stop complaining about bad dubs, if you want to play a japanese game, play it in japanese.

No, authority would be me saying "You can never play a japanese game ever again, now go to your room you god damn weeaboo, no dinner for you tonight unless you burn your manga collection! AND QUIT MAKING THOSE GOD AWFUL FANDUBS FOR YOUTUBE!".

Now it seems your idea of "authority" is also subjective, as is your idea of "hostility". Perhaps if you spent less time complaining about how horrible America and its capatalist ways are, you'd understand that nobody actually gives a damn.

Senbonzaku101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Edit: See what I did? I replaced the sprite of the power up with cheese burgers! When the Vic Viper eats a cheese burger, it grows slightly larger, the goal of the game is to eat as many cheese burgers as possible before fighting the final boss. You get bonus points if you don't miss a single cheese burger.

Epic, I need this game.

Edit: I didn't know quote broke the spoiler tag. =P

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
rofl2.gif

You:
smileipb2.png

Me:
wtf.gif

I must have missed that particular conversation... Either that, or that is a very skewed interpretatin of the thread...

A nice work of fiction though! I'm sure your creative writing teacher would be very proud...
yay.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry: