BLACK0UT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Questions Before I Decide If I Should Get Gateway
Okay everyone, I recently bought a used 3DS online in great condition... AND HOLY CRAP IT WAS ON 4.5!!! Sorry for the caps, but I assumed I'd never get one (let alone for $80) that just so happened to be within the firmware range. I never started looking into Gateway until I realized the gem I found. I've done tons of research, and there are just a few questions that I have that I haven't been able to find good enough answers for...

1. How is the situation of playing online working out? I read the official Gateway website that said that the feature was incorporated, but there was a disclaimer saying that there is a possibility that Nintendo could ban you because each game cartridge has a unique online "ID" code that would apparently show up as being copied. Has this happened? Has anyone been banned??? This is an important issue.

2. How is the Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire scene looking for Gateway? Is there anything that would hold these games back from being compatible with Gateway? I read somewhere before that Pokemon X/Y had save file issues, but I think that they are fixed now? I plan on using both actually, so can I have more info on how these sets of games are working in the gateway realm?

3. A minor issue: My firmware is 4.5.0-6U. The "6U" part shouldn't mean anything bad, right?

4. I am aware of SKY3DS, but the overall credibility is too iffy for me. Gateway has proven to be reliable with its many updates and its displayed dedication to their project. SKY3DS seems super easy to use, but only having room for 10 games is a turn-off. I would much rather go with more games and an established credible product like gateway. Gateway is cheaper too. Is this a good viewpoint to hold in regard to the two products?

I hope I presented these questions clearly. I really look to hear back from everyone, as I have put a lot of consideration into this situation. My questions did not get answered in the Noob Paradise, so I made my own thread here so people will have more direct access to view them.

Thank you everyone for the understanding! GBA Temp ROCKS!!! :lol:
~BLACK0UT

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. online is working fine, no bans yet
2. can't see problems with these games, unless nintendo does something
3. your firmware is fine
4. gateway is still the best card...............................sudeki300

BLACK0UT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you!!! Gosh for some reason people wouldn't reply to my same post in the Noob paradise. that was all I needed. once again, thanks!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You still need to change the headers of the games that do use wifi since the original headers of those ripped roms have been blocked.
no headers have been blocked....scene roms don't have headers in them from the get-go, if you use scene dumps you have to inject a header yourself.....but that's a lesson for another day

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a side note, I believe the 6u corresponds to the eshop version. Either way, it has no bearing on Gateway compatibility.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont want to put a damper on your great find but it hasnt been partially updated at all being as though its on 4.5.0 and it was so cheap? has it got a green Miiverse icon in the top right hand corner?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, check if it really is 4.5 by downloading Gateway's files and running GW_INSTALLER.NDS in a DS flashcart. Tehn you get back to the menu and go to System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile. If it loads Gateway menu, you can buy your Gateway cart.

BLACK0UT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't found anything related to miiverse, so it looks to be perfect! Also, it was cheap for a 4.5 because a little girl owned it and her parents bought her a newer 3ds and they were just looking to get rid of it. (it's pink, but whatever haha). anyway, the people have no clue about anything flashcard/modding related at all. I just got lucky! also, what is the file extension for a 3ds rom? is it ".3DS" or .ISO?

Actually, I just clicked on the green notifications icon on the top of the home screen, I didn't press anything, but now two presents (Youtube and Nintendo video) appear as icons on my home screen. I haven't opened them. Everything still says version 4.5.0 just like before. Hopefully that is ok. And really, I don't think that it's a fake 4.5.0 in any way since the little girl/parent didn't show any kind of tech knowledge at all.

10300319_530414240427800_3024646480003756577_n.jpg
1375708_530414230427801_5647862000760800184_n.jpg

EDIT^^

Am I looking clear from these screenshots? Any concerns?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No I do not have a ds flashcart... I am new to flash carts in general.
Well judging by the pics it is a proper 4.5 3DS. So now you can:
1. Look for a Gateway. It will give you full access to everything. runs all games and accepts updates.
2.Get a cheap DS flashcart compatible with your 3DS so you can run the CFW. Iit's kind of a pain to get started but it works with most games. You won't be able to play the latest games or to access the eshop.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before getting really high on hopes ask yourself these questions.. do you want to do alot of reading? do you want to have to boot a special mode everytime you turn your 3ds on to play your games? could you understand many diffrent setups to run your games? when you fully understand the term emunand and when you fully understand exactly how updating emunand works without updating your console.. and when you fully understand how to set up the gateway..THEN you should purchase one dont buy this thinking you can just put rom files on it and go because thats not how it works you have to install a file in your sd card put some files on the ds flash cart boot it and run the file to put the modified nintendo ds profile in your console THEN power off put your 3ds flashcart in and boot the ds profile from system settings and anytime you run a regular ds game you have to do this process all over again....could you handle that? i can =P i love it but its not for everyone if youve never done mods to a console or flash a firmware on a phone or anything related to that then maybe this isnt for you

Shinitai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Really? Huh... I always thought scene dumps do have headers...
Well, tecnically they do, but only because the header is saved in a particular place of the rom, and that place can literally not be empty. But it is an invalid header, usually just "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF", meant to replace the original, valid header. It's not that it's blocked, but that it's invalid.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, tecnically they do, but only because the header is saved in a particular place of the rom, and that place can literally not be empty. But it is an invalid header, usually just "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF", meant to replace the original, valid header. It's not that it's blocked, but that it's invalid.

I see...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: Hi i was wondering where i can download a fresh istall for the mii maker on wii u (EU). The...