Gaming Unable to run 3D Applications/3D Applications hang when execute

XtremeCore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm having with my computer when running 3D applications, I mean games recently.

I can run most of the 3D games with my Nvidia GeForce 8400 with memory amount of 256MB.

However, it happened yesterday when something went wrong I suppose. When ever I run a 3D game, such as Call of Duty Modern Warfare, the whole thing hang when I past the loading screen, followed by a blank screen, and my only medication is to use the reset button. This goes the same for Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box, Left 4 Dead, Need For Speed Shift etc. I've no problem running them previously. I've restarted a few times, and even let my computer cool down for around 4 hours, but the problem persist on, and the only games that I can run are less graphics demanding games such as online MMO like MapleStory etc.

Initially, I thought it was my graphic card problem. I thought that perhaps continuation overheating when running high-end graphics software could damage my graphic card. As such, I went to bought a new graphic card ... a more high-end one -- GeForce 210 of memory size 512MB DDR3.

Well, the game did run smoothly initially. I mean, it went past the loading screen, and I can jump into the game with no errors. However, after 15-20 minutes of gaming, the application that I run hang (again). When I reset it, the amount of time available for gaming shorten, with this time, only 10 minutes followed by hangs =.=

I'm a despo(of getting my com back working) now ... so can any tech savvy enlighten me? I thought of getting a new PC since this may be a motherboard/CPU problem, but just want to make sure and maybe hear some of you guys' opinions before spending some hefty sums.

Cheers
smileipb2.png

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
look into your PC....any fans blocked (especially the cpu one)?

btw the gt210 is no real upgrade...

XtremeCore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raki said:
look into your PC....any fans blocked (especially the cpu one)?

btw the gt210 is no real upgrade...

Thanks for your reply, however, no fans are blocked. I always left 5 cm of spaces at the sides of the CPU, and at the back of the CPU.

Oh, and I got gt210 is basically of its price and specs. 9400 is only DDR2 and if I'm not wrong, only able to clocked at 500Mhz. 9600 and 9800's price to me are like rip-off -.- So I got 210 since the price and specs are really good
biggrin.gif

Edit: So anymore solutions that I can try before getting a new PC?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
pizzahutmaster said:
Try reformatting your hard drive and then reinstalling your OS
But first back up all your data!
That's a bit drastic for a suggestion

There are other things to check first (not necessarily in this order)

Firstly - If you have multiple memory modules - try taking one out & try again, if it still faults out swap the memory modules over. If it STILL goes wrong, then a it's a good chance it's not a memory card problem (unless you happen to have 2 dodgy memory cards)

Secondly - Overtemp problem. Despite you saying all fans are OK - what's the actual temperature inside the case ?
Some motherboards have a cutout level set in the BIOS, & perhaps the case temperature is close to the setting of it & creeping over this limit when playing games

Thirdly - Power supply. Is your power supply powerful enough for the graphic card ?? & is the supply 'steady'. a small drop can cause lockups. A bit difficult to actually prove - but if you get hold of another PSU - try it with that

Fourthly - Loose cards/connections. Make sure all cables & cards that are plugged in are FULLY in. These can work loose after a time.

Fifthly - How many program do you have running in the background (antivirus/Firewall/Malware scanners etc) - having too many running can cause conflicts - any of them set up to run schedule maintainance @ specific times ??.
Disconnect PC from the internet & shutdown as many as you can & try again [Ctrl][Alt] & [Del] - if game(s) run OK then this could be the problem

Sixthly - Have you tried running games @ a lower resolution, & cut out the hi-tech graphic details (AA/Astro/Sync etc). Possibly too much 'load' on the cards is causing a problem

XtremeCore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
There are other things to check first (not necessarily in this order)

Firstly - If you have multiple memory modules - try taking one out & try again, if it still faults out swap the memory modules over. If it STILL goes wrong, then a it's a good chance it's not a memory card problem (unless you happen to have 2 dodgy memory cards)
Checked. Memory cards are fine.

CannonFoddr said:
Secondly - Overtemp problem. Despite you saying all fans are OK - what's the actual temperature inside the case ?
Some motherboards have a cutout level set in the BIOS, & perhaps the case temperature is close to the setting of it & creeping over this limit when playing games
Checked. This shoudn't be a problem since I can run all my stuffs for like the last 1 year?

CannonFoddr said:
Thirdly - Power supply. Is your power supply powerful enough for the graphic card ?? & is the supply 'steady'. a small drop can cause lockups. A bit difficult to actually prove - but if you get hold of another PSU - try it with that
Checked. Power supply unit requirement on the box of gfx card matches my power supply unit.

CannonFoddr said:
Fourthly - Loose cards/connections. Make sure all cables & cards that are plugged in are FULLY in. These can work loose after a time.
Checked. No loose connections
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Nov 10 2009, 10:25 AM)
Fifthly - How many program do you have running in the background (antivirus/Firewall/Malware scanners etc) - having too many running can cause conflicts - any of them set up to run schedule maintainance @ specific times ??.
Disconnect PC from the internet & shutdown as many as you can & try again [Ctrl][Alt] & [Del] - if game(s) run OK then this could be the problem
Checked. Again, this shouldn't be a problem since I can run almost everything finely for the past 1 year.

CODE
Sixthly - Have you tried running games @ a lower resolution, & cut out the hi-tech graphic details (AA/Astro/Sync etc). Possibly too much 'load' on the cards is causing a problem

Yes, and I want to add on something.

I tried playing Call of Duty 1, which is a low-graphic demanding game, and it seems that a screen pop out, saying buffer overflow detected, application must be terminated. Here's a screen of what'd happened:

25i9b49.jpg

When I tried playing Halo, which is also a low-graphic demanding game, it started up, but it closes down when it almost meet the cinematic part (you know the part where they show you the Bungie and Microsoft animation and stuffs?)

Buffer overflow -- How do I deal with that? I'm not sure which buffer had overflowed ...

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've done a quick search for 'COD ','Buffer overrun' and 'Microsoft C++' And found a couple of articles
on Steam Forum

There's also a thread on Nvidia Forums

Bottom line seems to be 'Nvidia Drivers' - they suggest installing an older version (one thread suggests 190.62) & reinstalling COD

It could be you may have a driver conflict OR the drivers you have installed DO have a problem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf