XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Whenever I attempt to format the SD card with guiformat, I get the error below:

Error:
Failed to open device
GetLastError()=32
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/9Vl09CT

SD card: SanDisk 128GB Ultra SDXC UHS-I (not MicroSD)

I've already tried a few things but still get the same error:
  1. Format at 64KB
  2. Format at 32KB
  3. Start in Safemode and Format
  4. Tested in another computer with an integrated SD card reader
  5. Tested with a SD to USB adapter (it's a no name brand but should work as I've used it in the past).
Some side notes:
  1. The card is readable and I can write to it.
  2. I tested using Windows to format and it was able to format without issues (in exFAT)
Currently in process of using H2testw to check authenticity of the card. Will post results once complete.

Update: H2testw completed and looks like the card is real.

Warning: Only 121909 of 121910 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 9.54 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Update:
I found the solution to this. Hope this helps people with the same issues.

1. Open guiformat. Leave it open.
2. Open up Task Manager (either with CTRL+ALT+DEL or right clicking on Start Menu bar > Task Manager)
2. Go to processes tab and look for explorer.exe (for Windows 10, it's simply called "Windows Explorer")
3. End explorer.exe (or "Windows Explorer). You will lose your start menu and all currently opened Windows Explorer windows. Keep Task Manager open.
4. Begin the format process with guiformat and you should be able to format without getting that error.
5. In Task Manager, go to File > New Task
6. Type in "explorer.exe", hit OK. It will bring back your start menu. That's it.

Alternate and quite possibly an easier solution:
I just ran into this error, and this was my solution. I didn't have to kill any processes. I just did a quick format to NTFS which only took a few seconds and then was able to start a full format to FAT32.

Last edited by ZeRoX98,

ZeRoX98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Open disk management (Windows), check if it's showing there. If it is, format it through that.
Yes, it does show up there and I have formatted using that but it can't format in FAT32, which is why I was attempting to use guiformat to do it for me.

ZeRoX98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I build recalbox for Pi3, I have similar issue and this always fixes it for me.

Authenticity was confirmed or?

I've already formatted using Windows but it's in exFAT now, but FAT32 is needed.

Just to see if it's fake or not and if it is fake, possible that it may be causing the issue even though it seems unrelated.

D

Deleted User

I always get that error. What to do is to go to This PC > Right-Click on SD card drive L:\ > Format... , normally re-format as exFAT or NTFS so it kills any random processes in it, run that program again then format to FAT32.

Last edited by ,

ZeRoX98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always get that error. What to do is to go to This PC > Right-Click on SD card drive L:\ > Format... , normally re-format as exFAT or NTFS so it kills any random processes in it, run that program again then format to FAT32.

Hmm I think I already tried that but I'll keep that in mind for the future if I need to do it again. However, I was able to format into FAT32 using another program called "MiniTool".

In case anyone has the same issue, try this program: http://www.minitool.com/

Thanks all for the responses!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already formatted using Windows but it's in exFAT now, but FAT32 is needed.

Just to see if it's fake or not and if it is fake, possible that it may be causing the issue even though it seems unrelated.

use h2testw to see if it's fake. it will write over the entire card, then verify the data. that will tell u if there's a problem.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read the post u made about whether it was real or fake. sometimes u have to format the card in windows, then fat32gui. I've had this problem before, and that's what fixed it. it would say the device was being used by another program (error) when it wasn't. fat32gui would say that anyway. windows formatted it no problem.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I need help formatting my Micro SDXC to fat32. I've tried uding Guiformat to do so but it gave me the same error as OP. When i then reformatted it with Windows and tried with GUIformat again, this time, when it was 53% thorugh formatting, I got the error "Failed to set volume label". I don't know what to do at this point:/

EDIT: It also tells me that the drive contains an unfamiliar filesystem. When i reformatted with Windows format tool, I chose exfat, same system as the card already had.

Last edited by XaneTenshi,

ZeRoX98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help formatting my Micro SDXC to fat32. I've tried uding Guiformat to do so but it gave me the same error as OP. When i then reformatted it with Windows and tried with GUIformat again, this time, when it was 53% thorugh formatting, I got the error "Failed to set volume label". I don't know what to do at this point:/

EDIT: It also tells me that the drive contains an unfamiliar filesystem. When i reformatted with Windows format tool, I chose exfat, same system as the card already had.
I've actually found out sometime later after my original post on a solution for that error.

1. Open up Task Manager.
2. Go to processes tab and look for explorer.exe
3. End explorer.exe. You will lose your start menu. Keep Task Manager open.
4. Run guiformat and you should be able to format without getting that error.
6. Type in "explorer.exe", hit OK. It will bring back your start menu. That's it.

Let me know if that works for you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by ZeRoX98,

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I've actually found out sometime later after my original post on a solution for that error.

1. Open up Task Manager.
2. Go to processes tab and look for explorer.exe
3. End explorer.exe. You will lose your start menu. Keep Task Manager open.
4. Run guiformat and you should be able to format without getting that error.

Let me know if that works for you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I need a bit more to go on. When I shut down explorer.exe, I just got a completely black screen, can't even see the dekstop where guiformat is located:/

EDIT: I'm on Windows 10 and had to go to the "details" tab to find explorer.exe, couldnt find it under "processes". Don't know if that's simply how it works on Windows 10 or it is because I am unfamiliar with Windows 10 in general. But I don't suppose that would make a difference would it?

Last edited by XaneTenshi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-