Unable to charge - when connected to computer but is fine with power bricks

Gamefreak001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a regular Switch that has no issue charging to a power brick or plug, but will not charge by a computer. I have tried multiple computers and usb ports and they all behave the same way.

Must be some ic chip issue. Anyone comes across this issue before?

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
How does it not charge? (i.e. will it say not charging, does it say charging but actually losing battery, or does it not do anything at all?)

I mean, if you connect an iPad to a regular PC usb port it will pick up on it but say not charging, due to the fact that the 500mAh limit on PC USB ports is barely enough (because it has a higher power draw than most USB devices. And my phone will say charging slowly.

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
It display the error with an X next to the battery.
Do other USB things work fine? Like I explained in my edit earlier, I would not expect a device like the Switch to charge, and if it does charge it will not be more than trickle charging.

Other USB things like USB transfer in the hb menu or installing games through whatever installer you prefer.

Gamefreak001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do other USB things work fine? Like I explained in my edit earlier, I would not expect a device like the Switch to charge, and if it does charge it will not be more than trickle charging.

Other USB things like USB transfer in the hb menu or installing games through whatever installer you prefer.

Sometimes it would connect over DBI. When it is connected, I still get that error message about not charging. When it does connected with DBI, the transfer speed is extremely slow. Over 50+ mins to install instead of the normal 5-10mins.

I have other switches and they connected fine with the same cable and port of the computer.

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sometimes it would connect over DBI. When it is connected, I still get that error message about not charging. When it does connected with DBI, the transfer speed is extremely slow. Over 50+ mins to install instead of the normal 5-10mins.

I have other switches and they connected fine with the same cable and port of the computer.
Sounds like it's time to drop it off by a repair shop and get them to take a look at it. From the sound of it something needs replacing (and I mean, switches ending up with a busted USB port is not unheard of :P)

Gamefreak001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried a different charging cable?
Yes. I have done the troubleshooting steps and isolated to this switch.
Post automatically merged:

Sounds like it's time to drop it off by a repair shop and get them to take a look at it. From the sound of it something needs replacing (and I mean, switches ending up with a busted USB port is not unheard of :P)
I can do microsoldering, just horrible at troubleshoot which component has failed. 😂

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes. I have done the troubleshooting steps and isolated to this switch.
Post automatically merged:

I can do microsoldering, just horrible at troubleshoot which component has failed. 😂
Slow speeds also could be due to a dying SD card, so you might want to pop the card in a pc and benchtest the speeds.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Gamefreak001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a usb tester on this unit and saw that it only charges at 0.47amp. It does not go to fast charge. That might be the main issue. I have swapped out the usb c port and the m92 chip and it still unable to go into fast charge. I found no shorts around the m92, BQ and PI3usb chips. Running out of ideas.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Depends on my mood