1. ry755

OP ry755 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hi! So recently I noticed that the HDMI port on my Wii U seems to be broken. It's currently set to use "Non-HDMI", and I'm trying to switch it back to HDMI so I can hook it up to my computer monitor.
    The problem is that no matter what resolution I choose, it just says "Unable to apply setting. Check that your TV is on and that the TV and console are properly connected."
    I've tried 3 different displays, (1 computer monitor and 2 TVs), and 2 different HDMI cables, (both are from Nintendo), but it always gives that error.

At this point I guess it's either physical damage to the port, or some weird software issue. I'm not really sure how this happened since I'm usually very careful with my devices. The port doesn't feel loose at all.

Any ideas for if there's a way to fix this myself?
    If my only option ends up being sending it to Nintendo for repair, I'll probably just end up using my composite to VGA adapter that I have and deal with the lower quality. I don't use my Wii U often enough to justify paying to get it fixed.

jeannotte likes this.
  2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Addict

France
    Hello,

Have you been to the Wii U settings to adjust your screen?
    Parameter wii U ==> "TV remote control" <== to adjust your screen

If your HDMI port is really broken, use your VGA cable.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    You may be able to change the setting with SystemConfigTool - don't remember if it skips that "helpful" check

ry755 likes this.
  4. ry755

OP ry755 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just tried this, unfortunately it just says "Error: HDMI cable is not connected." So it looks like it's hardware damage after all. Thank you for helping though!

Ryccardo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - switching, setting, Unable