WiiU - No HDMI output

skawo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So the console refuses to switch to HDMI mode, claiming that the setting couldn't be applied - which supposedly means it doesn't see the HDMI cable as plugged in.
I can get up to 1080i via component cables, and the console looks fine on the GamePad...

Now, I would just write off the HDMI port as bad, as it is a little bit loose, but the actual pins look fine...
Plus, if I start the "DC Init" Recovery Menu with UDPIH, the console actually outputs via HDMI just fine - in 480p, obviously, but still - that should mean the issue can be at least worked around?

I tried using the WiiU Video Mode changer, but it just crashes when HDMI is set.

I also opened the console and reflowed the connector pins, but this made no difference.

Any ideas?

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the console refuses to switch to HDMI mode, claiming that the setting couldn't be applied - which supposedly means it doesn't see the HDMI cable as plugged in.
I can get up to 1080i via component cables, and the console looks fine on the GamePad...

Now, I would just write off the HDMI port as bad, as it is a little bit loose, but the actual pins look fine...
Plus, if I start the "DC Init" Recovery Menu with UDPIH, the console actually outputs via HDMI just fine - in 480p, obviously, but still - that should mean the issue can be at least worked around?

I tried using the WiiU Video Mode changer, but it just crashes when HDMI is set.

I also opened the console and reflowed the connector pins, but this made no difference.

Any ideas?
Ive been having the exact same issue without any luck finding a solution...good luck

skawo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking it may be the HDMI controller chip. I'd take a crack at replacing it, but I worry about messing it up. Would the console still produce the AV video if that wasn't installed at all?

Last edited by skawo,

tiger111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm thinking it may be the HDMI controller chip. I'd take a crack at replacing it, but I worry about messing it up. Would the console still produce the AV video if that wasn't installed at all?
first of all you need to pin point the fault that its hdmi chip issue or hdmi port issue..you can do so by going in display setting there you will find settings like hdmi...720 1080p..480p and obviously av as well...select 1080 p and 720p in hdmi of no signal on tv then select 480p hdmi if signal appears on hdmi then its hd chip faulty if no signal appears even at 480p hdmi then probably hdmi port is faulty

and irrespective of hdmi port or hdmi chip working or not you will get output on av port by selecting av output its independent of hdmi output

and since gamepad is synced with your wii u its easy for you to get access to menu and play around with it dont try to resync it till you select av output since doing so will require a 4 character code which will be difficult for you to predict if you havent noted it before but obviously it also can be cracked using brute force method it will take an hour

Last edited by tiger111,

skawo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Like I said, it doesn't let me select any of the HDMI output resolutions at all, not even 480p.
It's not that it doesn't work, the WiiU menu just says "Failed to apply the setting". Yet, 480p works via the Recovery Menu.

skawo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That was one of the first things i tried :c
All of the cables I have also work with another Wii U.

tiger111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
as you said 480p working on hdmi in recovery mode it seems hdmi port is ok it probably the hd chip faulty if thats case eventually they are hard to get and not easy to install you will require skills to replace it but alternately av output can be used..but i doubt your hd chip is broken since you claim you got 1080i using component cable on same wii u ...720p .1080p..1080i cant be get without hd chip only 480p and 540i can be get without hd chip

skawo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They don't look that hard to get - I can get them delivered for about $12 tomorrow.
Replacing them is the thing. I do have a hot air station and some decent soldering skills, but there's always the possibility of messing it up. Hence - will the AV out definitely work without it? I can try to replace it if I know it can't get any worse, but otherwise, I'm probably not gonna bother...

Last edited by skawo,

tiger111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
yes there is huge chance of screwing it up as you also know replacing chip aint peace of cake but if you have those skills you can proceed may be what appears hard to me appears easy to you it depends totally on your skill level..if you had in past done chip replacents etc but if you have doubt you shall be happy to use av port at least it will give output using av if you by chance did damage you will end up with broken wii u...i personally have no confidence in getting it done myself i can do microsoldering etc but not chip replacement

RamTam_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It seems that it's a growing issue. Maybe it's a fault chip like the ones that brick your console if you don't use it in a long period of time?

culimboo

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
That issue is due to the Panasonic IC or the coils protecting that chip. The problem arises because the TV where you connect the Wii U has a short in the HDMI port, causing damage to the coils and consequently cutting the video signal. You need to disassemble the console and check that the coils are functioning. If they're not, you have to bridge them to restore the image. If it still doesn't display an image, you should replace the Panasonic IC responsible for processing the console's video output. This problem is common in various consoles, such as the PS3, PS4, and Wii U. Regards.

Reactions: skawo

skawo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's nice to know. I've already sold that WiiU, though, so I can't test bridging the coils, unfortunately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over