Hardware WiiU freezes when connected with HDMI

Spraco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To clarify: the console is unmodded. I'm afraid of modding it (can't do much with it anyway) because the NAND may be already corrupted or something.

A few years ago, i tried to connect my WiiU to a DVI monitor using an HDMI to DVI cable. When first powered on, it asked me to detect the new cable. Clicking yes made the console freeze, and after waiting for an hour nothing changed. I unplugged it, reconnected it to my regular TV with the stock Nintendo HDMI cable and the same problem resurfaced. The console works fine when using the old Wii AV cable or when using only the gamepad as output and nothing else.

I tried these solutions, but none worked:
  • Updating the console
  • Doing a factory reset
  • Trying every resolution with the HDMI cable in settings
  • Trying a different HDMI cable and a different port on the TV
  • Trying to boot from the vWii
The console freezes sometimes after the WiiU logo, when the white screen with drawings appears, sometimes during the WiiU logo sequence. No image is shown on the TV.

Strangely enough, after waiting for about 15 minutes in the first case (white screen with drawings) the WiiU menu comes up, but only on the gamepad.

Is there anything else i can try? Otherwise i may just mod it and get another used WiiU, as playing in 480p/576i on a modern TV is hideous.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's the gpu. The symptoms you describe is like a 360 gpu failing. What you see is called artifacting.

Spraco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think it's the gpu. The symptoms you describe is like a 360 gpu failing. What you see is called artifacting.
I explained myself poorly. The "drawings" are what normally appears in the background of the WiiU menu (a drawing of the R button, the settings wrench, to name a couple of them).
Artifacts do appear though when forcefully powering off the console. Half of the gamepad screen becomes black and the other half has artifacts.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I explained myself poorly. The "drawings" are what normally appears in the background of the WiiU menu (a drawing of the R button, the settings wrench, to name a couple of them).
Artifacts do appear though when forcefully powering off the console. Half of the gamepad screen becomes black and the other half has artifacts.
That’s normal for the gamepad cause you’re abruptly shutting down the 5ghz signal the pad is using to grab the video from the Wii. You need to only really worry about what’s happening (or not) on the tv side of things

That being said, if it’s only working from AV and not HDMI it’s likely something with yiur HDMI port. My system has the same issue

Spraco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That’s normal for the gamepad cause you’re abruptly shutting down the 5ghz signal the pad is using to grab the video from the Wii. You need to only really worry about what’s happening (or not) on the tv side of things

That being said, if it’s only working from AV and not HDMI it’s likely something with yiur HDMI port. My system has the same issue
I still have no clue how a cable could break an HDMI port. Later on, i've used the same cable and monitor for my PC and nothing went wrong.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have no clue how a cable could break an HDMI port. Later on, i've used the same cable and monitor for my PC and nothing went wrong.
I havn't opened my console up to inspect it. But It has to be an internal failure somewhere. If your HDMI pins look fine inside the port itself.

I even dumped my system logs to see if there was any wonkyness there and didn't see any errors.

So opening the console and inspecting the traces will be your next best bet.

Im admittly too lazy to do it since another console is only like $70ish standalone

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, only fix it if you're capable yourself. Having someone else do it would be a waste of money.
It still sucks to see something as trivial as a port contribute to ewaste though. I have an xbox one x that has a flickering port and is in the same boat where its cheaper to just replace the whole console

Reactions: godreborn

RamTam_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Mine has similar issue, have you tried to access to the vwii while using the AV cable? Mine in a monitor doesn't even work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.