Hacking Ultimate USB Loader - Continued by HaTaX

HaTaX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other users sugguested that I start a new thread for the continued life of this loader and I have decided that's a great idea! It was getting tough for people to wade through 280+ pages of information when the project at heart had been discontinued for further development by the original author. With that said, this loader would not be here at all if it weren't for hungryip's original work on the product and the ideas that came from the original thread here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?&showtopic=147085

With that said here is the information on the latest release I have made available which is 7.407, this version number is based up hungryip's 7.4 that was last released and currently is at v7 release. There were many previous releases that I'll leave behind in the old thread, but they will be available to users on my mediafire site in the Older Releases section if you'd like to look at the source.

At the bottom of the "config_information.txt" file you will find all of the changes I have added to the original loader, here is the section as of 7.407:
Code:
#ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ-The below section added by HaTaX-
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting will tell the loader to use 3d art from the download server, additionally the artwork
#ÂÂÂÂcan be sized using the settings below. When not present or set to 0, standard art will be downloaded.
#
3dart = 1
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting will allow you to set your own dimensions for coverart that is downloaded.
#ÂÂÂÂThe default settings for the loader are 160x225 for standard display, and 130x225 for widescreen.
#ÂÂÂÂYou may wish to change this to something like 130,224 so that the coverart can share a directory
#ÂÂÂÂwith another loader. (Many other loaders require cover art resolution to be divisable by 4)
#
images_dl_res = 160,225
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting is EXACTLY the same as the above one, except these settings apply to widescreen mode.
#
wimages_dl_res = 130,225
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting sets where you would like the update menu to be placed.ÂÂIf you set the value to 1,
#ÂÂÂÂthe auto-update screen will be located inside of the game settings menu instead of the main menu.
#
updateinsettings = 0
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting allows you to set what URL is used when the auto-update is initiated, the default
#ÂÂÂÂlisted below will be used when the setting is missing from your config.txt.
#
update_dl_url = http://home.comcast.net/~hatax/wii/ultimate_usb_dl
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting allows you to set what folder on your SD card the loader is located at so that
#ÂÂÂÂthe auto-update can place the files in the correct folder.ÂÂIf not set, the default value shown
#ÂÂÂÂbelow will be used by default.
#
update_path = SD:/apps/usbloader/
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting will turn on background music using the file configured at the "music_path" setting.
#ÂÂÂÂIf this setting is set to 0 or not present, the music.mp3 file will not be played.
#
music = 1
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting will set the path to be used for the music.mp3 file to be played in the background of the menu.
#ÂÂÂÂIf the setting is not present in your config.txt the setting below will be used by default.
#
music_path = SD:/apps/usbloader
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting allows you to set what folder in your SD card contains the titles.txt file.ÂÂIf not set
#ÂÂÂÂthe value shown below will be used by default.
#
titles_path = SD:/apps/usbloader/
#
#ÂÂÂÂThe below setting is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. This setting is to delay the program from moving on after a cover has
#ÂÂÂÂbeen downloaded. Unless you need to troubleshoot your artwork downloads, leave it absent from your config.txt or
#ÂÂÂÂset it to 0. You may set this value from 0-9 in seconds to delay after "Downloading complete" is displayed.
#
infodelay = 0
#

If you have been following along since the original thread, you should be aware I've changed the .zip file structure a little to help out new users. I have moved all of the files that go in your "SD:/apps/usbloader/" or wherever you've got it, in a folder called "\Files_To_SD-Root\apps\usbloader" in the downloaded zip file. Just copy over the needed updated files and you're set to go with the new version, or you can use the auto-update feature to download the latest release.

If you are a n00b to this all, just take a look at the README.TXT file and follow the instructions inside. Basically you will take your SD card with a working setup of The Homebrew Channel and copy the files in the folder "\Files_To_SD-Root\" to your SD card's root folder. This will get you a basic configuration setup that is working well on NTSC systems, with everything ready to go for downloading. Downloading is TURNED OFF by default with the included "config.txt" file, you can toggle this setting in the file itself or from the auto-update menu inside the loader.

Thank you for all the great support from the previous thread contributors, without the kind words and ideas this loader wouldn't be here today.

Added since v6:

1.) Configurable update path if you don't have it in the "/apps/usbloader" so the auto-updater places it in the correct location.

2.) Configurable titles.txt path so you specify where your titles.txt file is stored if not in the application directory.

3.) When the auto-update runs it will now also update the meta.xml file to reflect the new version for those loading the application through the homebrew channel. (You'd never see this using a channel forwarder)

4.) Music support! This was taken mostly from the community with some tweaks and changes so it fits in the structure of this loader. This will allow you to put a MP3 in the same folder as the application and use it for looping background music. -=NOTICE=- This addition was the main reason for the delay of this release and it still isn't working how I like. I've noticed some popping with the looping background music, and cannot seem to get rid of it. This feature may turn to supporting OGG files or another format that decodes better then MP3s. PLEASE provide feedback if you have a MP3 that plays well with this feature.

5.) 3D Cover art downloading can now be configured via the "3dart =1" setting in your config.txt. The downloaded art can also be sized using the "images_dl_res" or "wimages_dl_res" settings in the config.txt.

And after all of that, download all the files for this application here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a6af63a...8eada0a1ae8665a

Post your feedback and ideas here please!

penetr8or

Trophies
XP
Country
Great work, HaTaX.
You're the right person to continue the legacy on this ultimate loader, which is still far superior to any other
smile.gif

I do have one small issue, but that's most likely not caused by the USBLoader.
I can start the app and install games, I can also launch the top-most game on the list. But if I try to scroll down the list, I get a code dump.
Now I've been getting these for a while from other HB apps which has support for USB if my HDD is plugged in, which I think is weird.
I got it alot from WAD Manager, but that stopped once 1.4 was released.

Could this be a rev. 10 issue? Or is it just my HDD, which works perfectly for any game I launch, which is creating trouble?

lejong2002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good work, HaTaX.

I saw the config.txt.

You removed the cover image download site edit line in config.txt .
huh.gif

I wanted we would download normal , 3d and disc covers by editing config.txt.
( you can check the oggzee's loader)
Could you add the line in config.txt again?

And the transparency issue is still remaining?

*hope new features
- selecting the downloaded cover images name length by editing the config.txt( 3 characters, 4 characters, 6 characters)
- console image changing in usb loader ( you can check the oggzee's loader)
- selecting the mp3 files in usb loader ( music1.mp3, music2.mp3,....)

Btw, I really love the auto-update function. This is one of the best usb loader.
laugh.gif

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
HaTaX said:
4.) Music support! This was taken mostly from the community with some tweaks and changes so it fits in the structure of this loader. This will allow you to put a MP3 in the same folder as the application and use it for looping background music. -=NOTICE=- This addition was the main reason for the delay of this release and it still isn't working how I like. I've noticed some popping with the looping background music, and cannot seem to get rid of it. This feature may turn to supporting OGG files or another format that decodes better then MP3s. PLEASE provide feedback if you have a MP3 that plays well with this feature.
Basically the music support was copied from the Configurable loader, I have nothing against that, but at least you could give proper credit. The ultimate loader borrowed lots of stuff from the configurable loader without giving credit to it. I won't deny it, I have copied bits and pieces from many sources but at least I've always credited from who the stuff is coming from.

Looking at the state of the ultimate loader i would say it is on par to the configurable loader version around 20, so maybe i should give a hand, here is a nice updated release: Ultimate USB Loader V9
biggrin.gif

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow what are you people like this is a thread for hatax loader so unless your adding or helping him why make posts stating how much better summit else is just dont read this post

HaTaX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lejong2002 said:
You removed the cover image download site edit line in config.txt .
huh.gif

I wanted we would download normal , 3d and disc covers by editing config.txt.
( you can check the oggzee's loader)
Could you add the line in config.txt again?

And the transparency issue is still remaining?

*hope new features
- selecting the downloaded cover images name length by editing the config.txt( 3 characters, 4 characters, 6 characters)
- console image changing in usb loader ( you can check the oggzee's loader)
- selecting the mp3 files in usb loader ( music1.mp3, music2.mp3,....)

Btw, I really love the auto-update function. This is one of the best usb loader.
laugh.gif

I can take a look at adding disc cover art to be downloaded instead of the box art, I wasn't aware people had made themes to use the discs as artwork for the text based loaders. I removed the ability to set your own URL to be used for downloads since v6 (7.406) because the auto-resizing feature was added in. Because of the addition of settings that let you have the downloaded image resized on the fly, I hard coded the URL that's being used to download the artwork. Even to add disc cover art the URL wouldn't need to be configurable, because the same site offers disc art as well.

QUOTE(oggzee @ May 14 2009, 07:52 AM) Basically the music support was copied from the Configurable loader, I have nothing against that, but at least you could give proper credit. The ultimate loader borrowed lots of stuff from the configurable loader without giving credit to it. I won't deny it, I have copied bits and pieces from many sources but at least I've always credited from who the stuff is coming from.

The music.h and music.c base were used from the Configurable loader, you are correct! The music.c file has been modified heavily though and will most likely not continue in the next release as playing MP3s in the loader is somewhat problematic. It seems the ogg library is a more stable / mature option to play background music. I am sorry I did not list your loader for credit on the music addition. Honestly I questioned removing it completely because of the popping issues that I hear when a MP3 file is played, but in the end I figured I would release it and see if the community likes it or not in it's current form. I will also add that even though the functions calling the MP3 player are used from Ultimate loader, the libraries are all part of the libogc package and therefore with every devkitPro that is downloaded. I did have to make many changes to the music.c file to prevent code dumps, about the only remaining vestage from it is the .MOD file support which I just didn't remove because I never got around to cleaning the rest of it up.

Once again, I apologize and to everyone else on the thread, the basis of the music support is used from the Configurable USB Loader! I'm NOT one to reinvent the wheel so I openly admit that A LOT of this loader is not my own work, but the result of different parts of the community coming together on these USB Loader projects.

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BustedFly said:
Hey is continued to see beautifully that the Loader. A question: Is there a Forwarder for this version also?

have the same question, will there be a forwarder channel version for this? you should also update the Wiki of the USB Loaders,
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/USB_Loader_Releases
you should also update the original Ultimate USB Loader thread in the 1st post to let people know that you have a separate thread of your new updated Ultimate USB Loader

HaTaX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
penetr8or said:
Great work, HaTaX.
You're the right person to continue the legacy on this ultimate loader, which is still far superior to any other
smile.gif

I do have one small issue, but that's most likely not caused by the USBLoader.
I can start the app and install games, I can also launch the top-most game on the list. But if I try to scroll down the list, I get a code dump.
Now I've been getting these for a while from other HB apps which has support for USB if my HDD is plugged in, which I think is weird.
I got it alot from WAD Manager, but that stopped once 1.4 was released.

Could this be a rev. 10 issue? Or is it just my HDD, which works perfectly for any game I launch, which is creating trouble?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, thought I had replied to everyone...
wink.gif

Maybe you've got something going on with your download settings? Try turning the download function off from the config.txt and see if that helps, otherwise, if you've got cover art in a folder it sounds like its having trouble loading the files or something else is wrong with the cover art files. Shouldn't be the HD causing the dumps, most of the time it's just poor error handling by a part of the code.

BustedFly said:
Hey is continued to see beautifully that the Loader. A question: Is there a Forwarder for this version also?

QUOTE(bnm81002 @ May 14 2009, 12:41 PM)
have the same question, will there be a forwarder channel version for this? you should also update the Wiki of the USB Loaders,
you should also update the original Ultimate USB Loader thread in the 1st post to let people know that you have a separate thread of your new updated Ultimate USB Loader

I've uploaded the forwarder I use on my system if people out there would like to use it. It's the same one that's been floating around on many sites. It launches the application located at "SD:/apps/usbloader/boot.dol" using the homebrew channel as a pass through. You can grab it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a6af63a...8eada0a1ae8665a

As far as updating the wiki, I just really haven't gotten that involved with this loader so I haven't seen the need to add it to the list. I also cannot go back and add my updates to the original OP at the older thread because it's not my thread! But I did add a final post there from me so hopefully people will see it near the end of that thread and find us here.

UniBonger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just wanted to drop in to say thanks! Hatax's continuation of Ultimate USB Loader is my favorite of them all followed closely by oggzee's configurable loader. It's so nice to see them working together now!
smile.gif

I've been checking for an update just waiting for the background music. So THANK YOU for that!
smile.gif

My ONLY request would be randomized mp3/ogg whatever you decide(sorry, I've not checked this new version out yet, car broke down today, so I have to get it towed. Hopefully this feature is in the new version already)

Once again, thanks for the updates, this is the easiest to navigate and has all the features I want! My fav
wub.gif

HaTaX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaTaX said:
oggzee said:
Basically the music support was copied from the Configurable loader, I have nothing against that, but at least you could give proper credit. The ultimate loader borrowed lots of stuff from the configurable loader without giving credit to it. I won't deny it, I have copied bits and pieces from many sources but at least I've always credited from who the stuff is coming from.

The music.h and music.c base were used from the Configurable loader, you are correct! The music.c file has been modified heavily though and will most likely not continue in the next release as playing MP3s in the loader is somewhat problematic. It seems the ogg library is a more stable / mature option to play background music. I am sorry I did not list your loader for credit on the music addition. Honestly I questioned removing it completely because of the popping issues that I hear when a MP3 file is played, but in the end I figured I would release it and see if the community likes it or not in it's current form. I will also add that even though the functions calling the MP3 player are used from Ultimate loader, the libraries are all part of the libogc package and therefore with every devkitPro that is downloaded. I did have to make many changes to the music.c file to prevent code dumps, about the only remaining vestage from it is the .MOD file support which I just didn't remove because I never got around to cleaning the rest of it up.

Once again, I apologize and to everyone else on the thread, the basis of the music support is used from the Configurable USB Loader! I'm NOT one to reinvent the wheel so I openly admit that A LOT of this loader is not my own work, but the result of different parts of the community coming together on these USB Loader projects.

Wanted to add to this, because I did not give credit on the source of the music support and I also was actually using it to try out MP3 background music. Truth was I was going to massively clean up that section after I was done, but I never felt I finished with it because of the popping issue, so I never cleaned up that portion of the code.

Also, not to be rude, but it is rather snide to post a link to your USB loader and label it as "Ultimate USB Loader V9" in the 4th post from my OP. Not looking to start anything here, but I'd rather you used a different approach to let me know that you felt slighted by my using the music.c file as a template and test grounds in this loader.

All that aside, I decided to remove the music.c/h files and start anew. The result is a much smaller executable file as well as a much shorter and cleaner mp3.c file. I've included both your music.c file used as well as the updated mp3.c file so you can compare if you feel like it.....

#include
#include
#include
#include
#include
#include
#include

#include
#include
#include

#include "cfg.h"
#include "music.h"
#include "wpad.h"

#define FORMAT_MOD 0
#define FORMAT_MP3 1

static FILE *music_f = NULL;
static MODPlay mod;
static int music_format = 0;
static int music_size = 0;
static void *music_buf = NULL;
static char *fname1 = "sd:/usb-loader/music.mp3";
static char *fname2 = "sd:/usb-loader/music.mod";
static char *music_fname = NULL;

s32 mp3_reader(void *fp, void *dat, s32 size)
{
return fread(dat, 1, size, fp);
}

FILE* music_open()
{
music_f = fopen(music_fname, "rb");
return music_f;
}

void _Music_Start()
{
struct stat st;
int ret;

if (CFG.music == 0) {
dbg_printf("Music: Disabled\n");
return;
} else {
dbg_printf("Music: Enabled\n");
}

if (*CFG.music_file) {
music_fname = CFG.music_file;
dbg_printf("Music file: %s\n", music_fname);
if (strlen(music_fname) < 5) return;
if (stat(music_fname, &st)) {
dbg_printf("File not found! %s\n", music_fname);
return;
}
} else {
// try music.mp3 or music.mod
if (stat(fname1, &st) == 0) {
music_fname = fname1;
} else if (stat(fname2, &st) == 0) {
music_fname = fname2;
} else {
dbg_printf("music.mp3 or music.mod not found!\n");
return;
}
dbg_printf("Music file: %s\n", music_fname);
}

music_size = st.st_size;
dbg_printf("Music file size: %d\n", music_size);
if (music_size

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaTaX said:
bnm81002 said:

I've uploaded the forwarder I use on my system if people out there would like to use it. It's the same one that's been floating around on many sites. It launches the application located at "SD:/apps/usbloader/boot.dol" using the homebrew channel as a pass through. You can grab it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a6af63a...8eada0a1ae8665a

As far as updating the wiki, I just really haven't gotten that involved with this loader so I haven't seen the need to add it to the list. I also cannot go back and add my updates to the original OP at the older thread because it's not my thread! But I did add a final post there from me so hopefully people will see it near the end of that thread and find us here.

I appreciate it, is that the same forwarder from the original Ultimate USB Loader? that's the one I got from the Wiki, so it should work with your version then? so any new updates you will post it here, correct?

HaTaX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bnm81002 said:
I appreciate it, is that the same forwarder from the original Ultimate USB Loader? that's the one I got from the Wiki, so it should work with your version then? so any new updates you will post it here, correct?

Yup! Same forwarder that was used for the original. All that forwarder does really is load whatever file is at "SD:/apps/usbloader/boot.dol" so really it will work for any application in that location.

I'll keep everyone informed of changes on this thread.
smile.gif

werewolferx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.adamra.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hatax, good to hear back from you about the problem you where having with the sound support (back music), in my opinion (wich is only to be considered as that), the use of background music while loading or surfing the games stored in the HDD or USB is really unnecesary, just think about it, you at maximum surf for your game in no less than lets say 10 to 15 seconds (going high here), so, wich song or music will be good???

Hehehe, just an opinion.

In other words, good to see you're keeping up the project, hope HungyIP is comming back soon, he was considering this some time ago on chat.

The Ultimate USB loader is and probably still the best loader for standard users.

Keep up the good work, and keep the scene growing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious