Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
gumgod said:
I just upgraded to narwhal, not sure I'm ready to install a newer version just yet. I'm not convinced Unity is that much of an 'upgrade'. I mean if I wanted a task bar and a start menu why not just use Windows? Of course the task bar (launcher) is pretty easy to hide.
moogle.gif

I would be impressed if my multi touch track pad worked though... -- well for pinch and zoom. Two finger scroll does work now, so that's pretty cool.
Considering that Narwhal stops being supported as of 11.10's release I'd say you've not really got a choice. Problem is that its best to do a clean install. You can run a distro upgrade from in Ubuntu but it generally doesn't work too well especially if you're someone like me who removes and changes stuff on Ubuntu all the time.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nujui said:
Nimbus said:
I guess I wont be doing these hype threads again, because a certain someone can't be civilized and actually drop the matter for once.

I only tried to stir up some hype, I know my choice of words or statements may not have been the best, but honestly, do we have to troll up this thread!?

Anyway, back onto the subject here..

If you use an ATI Radeon Card, dont even bother with Gnome-Shell. It shears, and distrorts apparently, but we can blame that on the Gnome Project's lack of communication with ATI I guess. 11.9 FLGXR barely remedys that issue.

I still don't like Gnome-shell that much, but it is pretty damn sick in terms of appearance.
I've seen no trolling, Mazor made good points. If not agreeing with someone is counted as trolling, then everyones a troll.
I would call stirring up an argument where everyone was previously happy trolling.

If this were a "Linux vs OSX" or "Linux vs Windows" thread, his comments would be welcome.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TehSkull said:
Nujui said:
Nimbus said:
I guess I wont be doing these hype threads again, because a certain someone can't be civilized and actually drop the matter for once.

I only tried to stir up some hype, I know my choice of words or statements may not have been the best, but honestly, do we have to troll up this thread!?

Anyway, back onto the subject here..

If you use an ATI Radeon Card, dont even bother with Gnome-Shell. It shears, and distrorts apparently, but we can blame that on the Gnome Project's lack of communication with ATI I guess. 11.9 FLGXR barely remedys that issue.

I still don't like Gnome-shell that much, but it is pretty damn sick in terms of appearance.
I've seen no trolling, Mazor made good points. If not agreeing with someone is counted as trolling, then everyones a troll.
I would call stirring up an argument where everyone was previously happy trolling.

If this were a "Linux vs OSX" or "Linux vs Windows" thread, his comments would be welcome.

*Twists wiskers*

Indeed Mr. Skull.

Anyway, only 6 days left! I'm too excited for my own good right now.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
gumgod said:
I just upgraded to narwhal, not sure I'm ready to install a newer version just yet. I'm not convinced Unity is that much of an 'upgrade'. I mean if I wanted a task bar and a start menu why not just use Windows? Of course the task bar (launcher) is pretty easy to hide.
moogle.gif

I would be impressed if my multi touch track pad worked though... -- well for pinch and zoom. Two finger scroll does work now, so that's pretty cool.
Considering that Narwhal stops being supported as of 11.10's release I'd say you've not really got a choice. Problem is that its best to do a clean install. You can run a distro upgrade from in Ubuntu but it generally doesn't work too well especially if you're someone like me who removes and changes stuff on Ubuntu all the time.

I upgraded from 10 without doing a clean install, and it wasn't bad. Just had to tweak a few things to get my keyboard shortcuts working right again. Besides, just because it's not officially supported doesn't mean I am forced to upgrade.

Javier78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could care less, but I'm not going to.
wink.gif

Since Mint is based off Ubuntu, I'd say I'm kinda excited. Not enough to install a beta, but still. Ever since my desktop RAM went bad(system apps were crashing randomly, like Explorer), I've started using Mint full time as opposed to using Windows. Linux is fun, but I'm starting to miss Windows.

Mint has mostly replaced Windows on my laptop, but whenever I need to code or game, I boot up Windows.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Javier78 said:
I could care less, but I'm not going to.
wink.gif

Since Mint is based off Ubuntu, I'd say I'm kinda excited. Not enough to install a beta, but still. Ever since my desktop RAM went bad(system apps were crashing randomly, like Explorer), I've started using Mint full time as opposed to using Windows. Linux is fun, but I'm starting to miss Windows.

Mint has mostly replaced Windows on my laptop, but whenever I need to code or game, I boot up Windows.

Usually once I boot into Linux, the main reason I end up re-booting to Windows is to use either some Adobe or Microsoft product for work that doesn't work in Wine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu