Hacking Tx's Official Response to SX Bricking Code

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here you go, some light reading: http://hexkyz.blogspot.com/2018/06/chill-shills.html

Never trust a company that puts malicious code in their product.

I think the brick code is a shady practice but when you operate outside of legality then nothing is going to stop you, tx literally have a golden egg so this should not suprise us.

Still that blog post was a good read, it shows the motivation behind it, also if he thinks piracy is bad who ever said it would of been released if it was cracked!

Reactions: Drakia

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you want them to have a contingency plan for something that have said countless times isn't going to happen? I understand your reasoning for wanting them to have such a plan but to do so would be to acknowledge that there is a chance that it could happen. That'd be an extremely bad PR move and undermines what they said previously.

"Guys. We're not saying this is going to happen, because it's not. But if it does, which it's not. We'll replace or send you a payload to fix your Switch".

At the best you'll get a; "Team Xecuter stands by their products and gives great technical support. If you run into any issues when running the SX OS software or SX Pro hardware then please send us an email at [email protected]".

That's exactly what I want. Mariam-webster defines "guarantee" as
Definition of guarantee
1: guarantor
: guaranty 1
: an assurance for the fulfillment of a condition: such as:
a :an agreement by which one person undertakes to secure another in the possession or enjoyment of something
b : an assurance of the quality of or of the length of use to be expected from a product offered for sale often with a promise of reimbursement

So yes, if you're going to GUARANTEE that it won't happen, you need to offer something in the event that it happens. Otherwise your guarantee doesn't mean shit.

And fuck their PR. It's a bad PR move for them to include this without telling people. Had they just come out and said from the beginning "we put measures in place to prevent piracy of our product. Tampering with our software could brick your console. But rest assured, if anything happens to your switch where this wasn't the case, we will take full responsibility for it, however, it isn't likely that this will happen at all." If that was open and clear, people could have made an informed decision to buy the product anyway. Devs that release software that could potentially brick your system almost always make that disclaimer before releasing it into the wild. You know, "use at your own risk" type of thing. TX did not do this. They made no one aware of this practice and when called out on it they danced around it.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wording used is key. They don't admit to the brickcode, they don't take responsibility of said brickcode, and their argument is: "nothing has happened, don't worry about the brickcode".

Might as well rename themselves the Wizards of Oz.

Batpeter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definition of guarantee
a :an agreement by which one person undertakes to secure another in the possession or enjoyment of something
b : an assurance of the quality of or of the length of use to be expected from a product offered for sale often with a promise of reimbursement

So yes, if you're going to GUARANTEE that it won't happen, you need to offer something in the event that it happens. Otherwise your guarantee doesn't mean shit.
Not trying to be a bitch but you should look at the verb:
upload_2018-6-25_19-8-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-25_19-8-2.png
    upload_2018-6-25_19-8-2.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 110
  • upload_2018-6-25_19-8-19.png
    upload_2018-6-25_19-8-19.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 123

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm very interested in what would happen when the times comes and a "homebrew" backup launcher is made...

You can use SX OS without a key for homebrew right? If a homebrew backup launcher existed where would tx stand?

Would they brick the console using their os using the backup loader?

Obviously this is hyperthetical and if a free loader existed users wouldn't likely use sxos to launch that type of homebrew...

Reactions: CaptainLoozer

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to be a bitch but you should look at the verb:
View attachment 133284

Okay, so in this instance, the verb would be used in a way that it would "give security to" or a guarantee against loss.

If my switch is bricked, I have loss. So who is going to reimburse me for it? If TX won't, again, their guarantee doesn't mean shit.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like something I'd always read in the SNES game manuals that "Unauthorized hardware or software will damage your console." It's stupid, but it makes sense, they want to have a monopoly on the hacks market, both free and paid.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definition of guarantee

And words are just words. Following through on a guarantee is what really matters and even that's not assured to you even if they were to tell you what you want to hear.

When you play around with closed source third party software this is a risk that you take. If TX says that they'll replace Switches that were bricked using their OS then that's great but just realize that there's the possibility that they won't say anything like that. If I had to guess I'd say the latter is more likely.

Are you still going to use your two SX Pros if the latter is the case?

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And words are just words. Following through on a guarantee is what really matters and even that's not assured to you even if they were to tell you what you want to hear.

When you play around with closed source third party software this is a risk that you take. If TX says that they'll replace Switches that were bricked using their OS then that's great but just realize that there's the possibility that they won't say anything like that. If I had to guess I'd say the latter is more likely.

Are you still going to use your two SX Pros if the latter is the case?

Oh trust me, I don't see them ever actually guaranteeing anything other than maybe the cost of your SX Pro dongle. So unless they remove the bricking code and someone actually verifies this, I probably WON'T be using them. More than likely selling them while the resale price is still good.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't long ago we had people reassuring everyone that no one would get banned.

Things change.
Bans happen it's part of hacking. But all of the "What IF's" is getting ridiculous b/c at the end of the day we... don't... know. Trying to make a point based off of theories is like going through a Kingdom Hearts Fanpage.
My New3ds got bricked by following an old plailect guide from here which was incomplete. Unfortunately for me I couldn't see into the future to make it out a "What IF" I read the instructions into bricking my N3DS

Dabiolos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay so if you want to get technical, sure. But it still renders my switch useless with no way to fix it myself, even with nand backups. So what's your point?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The analogy works fine still. Just because you're not messing with SX OS, it could still accidentally trigger. Something in homebrew software could do something the SX OS sees as tampering and boom, you're bricked even though you did nothing wrong.

In the car analogy, I could hit a bump in a road. Did nothing wrong but the stereo anti-theft could think it's being tampered with. Now I'm left with a useless car.

Again, just because TX says its safe, doesn't mean anything, of course they'd say that. I just want to know what they're going to do in case something happens. I don't want to be left here with nothing but their "guarantee" just to find out after it happens that since I used some homebrew, they're not responsible. Bull fucking shit, you put this in there on purpose and now I'm out of a 300 dollar console.

Edit: And trust me, I'm not trying to hate on TX, I even pre-ordered TWO SX Pros. I just want to make sure before I use it when it comes in that I'm not just lining myself up for a door stopper.

It can be fixed. You can't because you can't hack sx and this means you will never get in trouble (unless you used a cracked copy which hasn't patched out all security checks)

As stated the emmc will be locked by a "specific" password. If tx wanted they could remove the lock with a payload if it misfired.

To me it looks like they cared about possible missfire because they left this backdoor to fix it behind.

Since there was no missfire yet wouldn't it be to soon to punish them?

I don't want to defend bricking code. It shouldn't be used in the first place but as far as I can see nobody is really in danger if he doesn't try to debug the os files.

After a few thoughts your car radio analogy does fit. A stolen radio will be bricked an rendered useless for the thief without the proper key card. If it is triggered by accident the manufacturer will fix it if you can prove it is not stolen...

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh trust me, I don't see them ever actually guaranteeing anything other than maybe the cost of your SX Pro dongle. So unless they remove the bricking code and someone actually verifies this, I probably WON'T be using them. More than likely selling them while the resale price is still good.
Then dont use tx os if you feel that way, problem solved

It can be fixed. You can't because you can't hack sx and this means you will never get in trouble (unless you used a cracked copy which hasn't patched out all security checks)

As stated the emmc will be locked by a "specific" password. If tx wanted they could remove the lock with a payload if it misfired.

To me it looks like they cared about possible missfire because they left this backdoor to fix it behind.

I don't want to defend bricking code. It shouldn't be used in the first place but as far as I can see nobody is really in danger if he doesn't try to debug the os files.

After a few thoughts your car radio analogy does fit. A stolen radio will be bricked an rendered useless for the thief without the proper key card. If it is triggered by accident the manufacturer will fix it if you can prove it is not stolen...

I dont think this is brick code, it feels more like ransomware, where you ask for money or in this case proof that you are a legit user to remove the lock, because the system is not really bricked its trapped

Hekxys even admited that because he heavily modified the code, he actually bricked his own switch to a non recoverable phase which normally a password would fix it or a payload from tx

Last edited by kamesenin888,
Reactions: Dabiolos

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Other than the "I probably WON'T" I'm pretty impressed with your resolve towards the matter. I know a lot of people are most likely going to continue using the OS/Pro but you're sticking to your guns. Probably. :P

Just messing you with you.

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Right. As for punishing them too soon, I don't think anyone is "punishing" them per se, we just want answers. And if they actually came out and SAID that they put measures in place to fix it in the case of an accidental brick, that'd be great. But so far, they've just danced around it and are acting like we don't know about the brick code or the password. Just come out and acknowledge what we already know and tell us how you're going to fix it, or just take it out completely. Either of those solutions would be fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Other than the "I probably WON'T" I'm pretty impressed with your resolve towards the matter. I know a lot of people are most likely going to continue using the OS/Pro but you're sticking to your guns. Probably. :P

Just messing you with you.

I say probably because in the event that they actually come out and outline what they plan to do in case of accidental bricks, I could change my mind. Since the brick is reversible, albeit only by them, it offers some sort of security against loss. Until that happens though, my pros will stay in the box and I'll be looking for buyers.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer,
Reactions: Dabiolos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol