Tx's Official Response to SX Bricking Code

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by mansonss, Jun 25, 2018.

1. CaptainLoozer

CaptainLoozer GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    More like complaining about getting shot while you just happened to be in the same place as someone stealing from the mafia. In the past, innocent users were affected. People are not complaining about the possible brick from messing with their code. People are defensive about bricking their own switch with something they PAID FOR and not getting support because they also decided to use a harmless SNES emulator at the same time.

2. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    They're paranoid (rightly so) because of past regressions. It makes sense, but people need to take a second and breathe. Don't take rumor and make it truth. This isn't middle school. All we know is that there's a way to brick, but unaware of any potential triggers that would lead to innocent systems being locked out.

cearp, Trappie and Batpeter like this.
  3. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Then why are those people hacking their console? Why are they in this community when the possibility of bricking is generally from hacking/exploiting their systems?

Memoir likes this.
  4. Masacci0

Masacci0 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2018
    Italy
    I could agree if bricking was part of the actual hacking and messing with something, but in this case it's not a casual bug that bricks your console, it's a proactive move aimed to actually brick the console.

Tomy Sakazaki likes this.
  5. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    That's very true. And while we don't know much about the triggers currently, I think people have a right to be somewhat concerned. All it would take is for TX to come out and own what they did and outline what they will do in the event of a unfortunate accidental brick where no one was messing with the code. Not that I'm saying it WILL happen, but I want to know what they will do to fix it if it DOES happen. If they can just simply give me a passcode to put in, I'm fine with that. If they're going to say " sorry you used homebrew, you're SOL" then I'm going to just sell this thing as soon as it comes in. I only bought SX because I didn't want to wait for atmosphere, but open source makes it where you can't really sneak this kind of crap in there. I'm fine to wait if it means my switch is safe(r).

6. Batpeter

Batpeter GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2007
    United States
    Yeah if you use TX OS as intended you shouldn't be bricked. And it hasn't happened yet and TX guarantees it won't happen. What more do you want?

7. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    For them to outline actions for if and when an innocent person does get bricked.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja, Jun 25, 2018
  8. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    The "guarantee" doesn't mean anything unless they outline what they will do to make it right if it does happen. Even in the past with Gateway, innocent people got bricked and I don't even mean people who bought clones. Even legit gateway users got bricked.

9. Batpeter

Batpeter GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2007
    United States
    Fair enough i guess. Did anyone ask them?

10. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    OP asked them I believe, gave a really basic answer.

11. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    They basically tried to use a Jedi mind trick and tell you that if you don't mess with their code, you shouldn't be worried. They also never actually came out and admitted they purposely put measures in place that will BRICK YOUR CONSOLE on purpose if certain triggers happen.

To me, this is like me going to buy a car. Then I take it to a shop and put in an aftermarket stereo. The people who install it tell me that it has anti theft measures in place. After it's installed, if anyone tries to steal it, it will blow my car up. So as long as I don't mess with it, I should be fine...

wut?

Had I known that before I bought it, I'd have gone with another product. But imagine my concern if I find this out AFTER the fact.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer, Jun 25, 2018
    Quantumcat likes this.
  12. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    Was a politician type answer :-)

0x64 and VinsCool like this.
  13. hellrokr

hellrokr GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    So people are pissed that SX OS cracking is highly unlikely now. Haha. Just use atmosphere guys.

Stop blaming TX to protect their shit.

Use SX OS and get a Nintendo ban hammer.
    Fiddle Around with SX OS and get a TX ban hammer.

TX can play dirty so they can lock your nand.

They don't have to be nice. You're pirating a pirate after all.

RedHunter likes this.
  14. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    You're still not getting it. No one cares if someone trying to pirate their shit gets bricked. It's the people who legit bought the thing and are concerned about accidental bricks, which have happened in the past. We want to know what happens if our switches get bricked. What is TX going to do to make it right since they purposefully put this in there.

antiNT, Tomy Sakazaki and Masacci0 like this.
  15. Dabiolos

Dabiolos Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2018
    Germany
    this doesn't fit because the switch doesn't explode or is broken afterwards. It can be fixed. It would be comparable if your car just wouldn't start and needed a software update/Radiocode to work again.

As stated in the other thread I guess this is a warning from tx. They knew this can be fixed easily if you know what you do (if you try to crack sx you certainly do...). Now even when a cracked sx is beeing released some will be scared off an use the legit product....

If they wanted they could have killed the switch since voltages are software controlled (here the exploding car analogy would have fit...)....

16. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    I don't care about TXOS getting cracked, I'm fairly sure most people don't. I care about the fact the bricking code exists in their tool _at all_. No software is perfect, they can say all the want that it won't trigger for legit users, but as long as it's there, they run the risk of it triggering.

As I've said earlier, I was actually thinking of buying SXOS, but now it's never going to happen, because I can't trust them or their software.

17. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    woah, blowing up and bricking are very different.
    the difference can make it acceptible, if it truly only happens to hackers.

that stereo getting stolen is out of your/my control.
    you/me hacking sx os to reverse it is in only in my control.

analogies don't always work :hrth:

18. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    Good point. This is the main worry. What if there is some homebrew which somewhat changes specific voltage/speed parameters and this somewhat interferes with TXOS? Would be good if the person that was able to fix it releases some "unbricker" just incase. Mind you, it could have been worse, they could have fried the SOC components (or maybe there is a payload somewhere in there that does this?)

19. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Okay so if you want to get technical, sure. But it still renders my switch useless with no way to fix it myself, even with nand backups. So what's your point?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The analogy works fine still. Just because you're not messing with SX OS, it could still accidentally trigger. Something in homebrew software could do something the SX OS sees as tampering and boom, you're bricked even though you did nothing wrong.

In the car analogy, I could hit a bump in a road. Did nothing wrong but the stereo anti-theft could think it's being tampered with. Now I'm left with a useless car.

Again, just because TX says its safe, doesn't mean anything, of course they'd say that. I just want to know what they're going to do in case something happens. I don't want to be left here with nothing but their "guarantee" just to find out after it happens that since I used some homebrew, they're not responsible. Bull fucking shit, you put this in there on purpose and now I'm out of a 300 dollar console.

Edit: And trust me, I'm not trying to hate on TX, I even pre-ordered TWO SX Pros. I just want to make sure before I use it when it comes in that I'm not just lining myself up for a door stopper.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer, Jun 25, 2018
  20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Blah blah blah bullshit, Team TX can do no wrong, blah blah, right? People sure are quick to defend them ad infinitum and think they're completely innocuous.

21. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    So you want them to have a contingency plan for something that have said countless times isn't going to happen? I understand your reasoning for wanting them to have such a plan but to do so would be to acknowledge that there is a chance that it could happen. That'd be an extremely bad PR move and undermines what they said previously.

"Guys. We're not saying this is going to happen, because it's not. But if it does, which it's not. We'll replace or send you a payload to fix your Switch".

At the best you'll get a; "Team Xecuter stands by their products and gives great technical support. If you run into any issues when running the SX OS software or SX Pro hardware then please send us an email at teamxecutersupport@cantremembertheirdomainandtoolazytolook.com".

22. Devin
    This message by Devin has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jun 25, 2018, Reason: Double post.
    Jun 25, 2018