Hacking Tx's Official Response to SX Bricking Code

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still ignoring the actual question, but at least someone told them that fluffing up numbers is dumb PR for faux reassurance.

At least now I'm fairly certain their original number was bullshit trying to deflect the question.

Reactions: Alexdlz and daxtsu

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah, the region changed Korean Wii bricks. I had forgotten about that. Everyone seemed to think that was acceptable for some reason. Even though it was obviously done on purpose since newer IOS checks for the presence of the KOR-specific key.

Caught with pants down, simple as that.

Too busy coming into every GW thread to proclaim "I would never support a company that bricks" that they either forgot or were not around when Nintendo done it. Nothing to do after that except claim "it's different" as if they had any follow through, their 3ds would have to go in the bin.

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem with their statement is that they said that they "support" using other payloads. How can they support that if they're telling their customers that if they actually USE their built in feature, they won't support their product anymore? If the intent was to not use any other software, why even put support for other payloads in there? It directly contradicts their own statement.

Edit: Actually now that I've gone back and read it, it seems that they just said they would "allow" it. Good way for them to go back and say you shouldn't have done it.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem with their statement is that they said that they "support" using other payloads. How can they support that if they're telling their customers that if they actually USE their built in feature, they won't support their product anymore? If the intent was to not use any other software, why even put support for other payloads in there?

Marketing.

tnecniv43208

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My problem with their statement is that they said that they "support" using other payloads. How can they support that if they're telling their customers that if they actually USE their built in feature, they won't support their product anymore? If the intent was to not use any other software, why even put support for other payloads in there?
Well that support made me pay, I guess that's it lol, no other reasons that tx wants to support other payloads

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that support made me pay, I guess that's it lol, no other reasons that tx wants to support other payloads

I corrected my post. It seems they only said they would allow it. In the event that their software actually does brick your switch, I highly doubt they're going to buy you a new one, even with their "guarantee".

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Caught with pants down, simple as that.

Too busy coming into every GW thread to proclaim "I would never support a company that bricks" that they either forgot or were not around when Nintendo done it. Nothing to do after that except claim "it's different" as if they had any follow through, their 3ds would have to go in the bin.
While I was around during the Wii era, I can't say I ever region changed a Korean console... Because why would I?

You're right though, I will say "it's different". First of all, that was 9 years ago, maybe try to find a more recent example? Second, that wasn't trying to brick everyone running homebrew, that was a very specific case that seems rather odd to me.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricking someone's system is a rather extreme method when there's so many other things they could have done. Honestly the community should be concerned by this because we don't know what's in the source code and a brick code only shows just how little we should trust TX and their code.
If you are a regular user it shouldn't be a concern this brick code didn't surface until someone actually tried to tamper with it on dev level terms givien what info we have I'm not comparing or speculating on other things b/c they aren't TX. The open source community should be concerned b/c they are gonna have to look elsewhere or start from scratch. There's too much fear over 1 victim all its doing is giving TX dislikers more ammunition. It's a stable product with constant support ofcourse ppl will blow things out of proportion for them

Last edited by MasterJ360,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I asked them about the potential for their software to brick the console if their software was corrupted in any way,

Even unmodified switches can brick, so yes.

If you start manually decrypting code and running it with a random stack, then also yes you can brick.

They obviously aren't going to answer a question on whether there is brick code in there and what can trigger it.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Kioku

Masacci0

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
mmmhh ok

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-25-17-50-44-668_com.google.android.gm.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-06-25-17-50-44-668_com.google.android.gm.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 212

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I was around during the Wii era, I can't say I ever region changed a Korean console... Because why would I?

You're right though, I will say "it's different". First of all, that was 9 years ago, maybe try to find a more recent example? Second, that wasn't trying to brick everyone running homebrew, that was a very specific case that seems rather odd to me.

Funny that, bricking has a time limit on it that just happens to exclude the time Nintendo did it :rolleyes:.

IIRC region changed korean were targetted as NA wiis were worth more in that region, so dodgy shops would buy korean wiis and then swap to NA and make more money. Also Korean wii is the only one that has a unique key, can't target the others the same way.

And what does it matter who it was targetting? End result is the end user has a brick.

Same old shit. Okay when Nintendo done it because "it was a long time ago" and "it only targetted X", so it's different.

Last edited by Armadillo,

mustafag32g

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So they avoided the question and promoted their shit. Honestly I feel like this reply sums up why I can't stand these kinds of teams.

why cant you stand them? Because of their skills as hackers? They create a product and sell it, why your ass hurting ?? Its business, plus they owe you nothing so dont expect free stuff...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you are a regular user it shouldn't be a concern this brick code didn't surface until someone actually tried to tamper with it on dev level terms givien what info we have I'm not comparing or speculating on other things b/c they aren't TX. The open source community should be concerned b/c they are gonna have to look elsewhere or start from scratch. There's too much fear over 1 victim all its doing is giving TX dislikers more ammunition. It's a stable product with constant support ofcourse ppl will blow things out of proportion for them
This. The fear mongering is borderline pathetic here. This isn't Gateway. This wasn't an innocent system. Somebody messed around, knowing full well the potential consequences. Now, the community has turned it into a shit show with slander and baseless rumors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...