Hacking Tx's Official Response to SX Bricking Code

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in the light of this whole bricking code fiasco, I decided to see what TX had to say about it. This was their response.

For those who can't read the image

Hello David,

We are delighted to have now a massive SX OS userbase. We never had a single
report of a 'bricked' or damaged console caused by SX Pro or SX OS.

If people modify, hack and fiddle with their console, regardless of SX OS being
installed, they expose themselves to dangers such as 'bricking' their console.
We can't be held responsible for this.

We are a professional team, with a solid reputation for quality product and
support for many years.
We offer full commercial and technical support, updates for life and warranty on
our product, like we always did.
But obviously this is only valid if you do not use other modifications of hacks
that can damage your console.
Clearly, our customers do not want or need any other software and hardware than
Team Xecuter SX product. Please be careful who you trust when you use other
software or hardware on your valuable Nintendo Switch. Not everyone has a track
record like Team Xecuter, and they can disappear like they appeared.
Please also be careful with copies and clone of our software and hardware,
although as of today, we haven't seen any.

To sum all this up: You can be certain that you are safe when using original
Team Xecuter product such as SX OS. We not only state it, we guarantee it!

Thanks again to all our customers for their trust for the past 15 years already!

--
Best regards,
Team mailto:[email protected]

Pretty much what I expected, I guess.

Attachments

• 20180625_100144.jpg
    20180625_100144.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 2,140
Last edited by mansonss,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So they avoided the question and promoted their shit. Honestly I feel like this reply sums up why I can't stand these kinds of teams.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So they avoided the question and promoted their shit. Honestly I feel like this reply sums up why I can't stand these kinds of teams.
They completely avoided the issue. Not surprised..

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like you only risk a brick if you actually fuck with the code. Unlike with Gateway where they had the brick-wave that affected the clones and sadly some of their own units. Don't get me wrong if that same thing happened with SX, I'd be pretty pissed off about that as well (even though I've yet to even buy one), but if the only people that get bricks are those that try to reverse engineer what they've made, then frankly I don't really care all that much one way or the other.

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's seems pretty clear to me. Buy the original SX and as long as you don't try to mess with it (crack it to make it free) you'll be just fine.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's seems pretty clear to me. Buy the original SX and as long as you don't try to mess with it (crack it to make it free) you'll be just fine.
That's the promotion, but they completely avoided the actual topic on hand. They aren't addressing the actual brick code that they built into their product, which is the concerning issue. Everyone knows (or should know) that hacking your system runs the risk of bricking it, but deliberately bricking someone's system for trying to mess with your code is a completely different issue.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what was the question they avoided? not trying to poke anyone, but i can't see a question.
they didnt say whether they had a brick code or not
they danced around the issue with PR diarreah

With that siad, I still love my SX pro

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
what was the question they avoided? not trying to poke anyone, but i can't see a question.
Honestly I worded that without context because I just went with the assumption that the OP asked them about the brick code. Would honestly be helpful if the OP actually posted the first email sent to give some more context.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also i dont care if they password protected my shit. as long as you dont tamper with it youre fine
That's the exact same thing GW users thought, before it falsely triggered for legit owners. Their check is timing-based, it could theoretically trigger during legit usage.

I think it's quite clear - A user using "any other homebrew" on the switch would never have a leg to stand on blaming TX.
So you don't want to run any homebrew (Emulators, games, file managers, etc), Atmosphere CFW addons, etc? You're good with just SXOS? Cause that's what they're saying here, you can't use any of that otherwise it's your fault if their code bricks you.

Would you be fine with Nintendo dropping a payload in the next Switch update that bricks you if you're using SXOS? You're clearly pirating their games, so they should destroy your console, right?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
they didnt say whether they had a brick code or not
they danced around the issue with PR diarreah

With that siad, I still love my SX pro
oh i get it, yeah - like gamesquest1 said, it would have been better if they would have 'admitted' brick code first, before any hackers tried to crack it.
that way it's not a secret.

but yes - i bought my sx pro with 99% certainty there was brick code present. it would be naive to think there's no protection like that.

mansonss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked them about the potential for their software to brick the console if their software was corrupted in any way, and if they could offer a way to unbrick it if it was mistakenly done.

If everyone remembers, Gateway had a problem with their boot.dat. If it were corrupted in any way, it'd brick. Even if it wasn't you screwing with it.

So yeah, they definitely avoided the question.

Reactions: tivu100

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the exact same thing GW users thought, before it falsely triggered for legit owners. Their check is timing-based, it could theoretically trigger during legit usage.

So you don't want to run any homebrew (Emulators, games, file managers, etc), Atmosphere CFW addons, etc? You're good with just SXOS? Cause that's what they're saying here, you can't use any of that otherwise it's your fault if their code bricks you.

Would you be fine with Nintendo dropping a payload in the next Switch update that bricks you if you're using SXOS? You're clearly pirating their games, so they should destroy your console, right?
You won't convince me otherwise.
You're trying to hard buddy

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
yeah well, i used an example earlier, it's like protecting your drug den with guns.
it's not a surprise, if you mess with something 'shady' (tx), you get in trouble.

nintendo's a real, accountable company (unlike tx), and would get in big trouble if they bricked people.
but tx - it's different.

the sad kicker, if the reverse engineer was careful enough, they wouldn't suffer a brick.
if i had the knowledge and skills, i think in a way it would be great fun to hack something that can damage your console.
i saw on twitter, hedgeberg talking about using nand passthroughs to filter out bad commands, and permanently disabling locking of the nand.
it's fun stuff, and these hackers are doing it for fun right? if anything, it makes the puzzle more interesting.
maybe that sounds dumb - but if the brick code never gets triggered for a normal user like me, that's all i want.

I asked them about the potential for their software to brick the console if their software was corrupted in any way, and if they could offer a way to unbrick it if it was mistakenly done.
ok, if that's what you asked yeah, it would be nice if they admitted it :) thanks

If everyone remembers, Gateway had a problem with their boot.dat. If it were corrupted in any way, it'd brick. Even if it wasn't you screwing with it.
yeah i think a few people got bricked (maybe 10 or something?) and it was gw's fault, because of bad code etc, but they fixed it and no more bricks.
it's terrible sure, but maybe blown out of proportion.
there's still brick code in gw and it's safe. just like tx.
i haven't seen anyone bricked from tx yet (apart from that one hacker), and there's been 1.1 and 1.2 out, lots of happy customers it seems.

Last edited by cearp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.