Hacking Tx's Official Response to SX Bricking Code

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I guess you'll never support Nintendo as well since they had brick code back on the Wii.
Honestly this is apples to oranges. I don't think Nintendo actually intended to brick wiis, I think that was the result of poor testing. Nintendo never repeated this again, despite having several chances to do so. This is an actual brick code that is intended to brick a system if the user messes with Tx's code. They both brick, but one is actually malicious where the other was just stupid.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Honestly this is apples to oranges. I don't think Nintendo actually intended to brick wiis, I think that was the result of poor testing. Nintendo never repeated this again, despite having several chances to do so. This is an actual brick code that is intended to brick a system if the user messes with Tx's code. They both brick, but one is actually malicious where the other was just stupid.
Nintendo never repeated their bricks after facing such retaliation and backlash? I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

Reactions: Pluupy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo never repeated their bricks after facing such retaliation and backlash? I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!
What I am trying to say is that it looks like Nintendo learned from that and didn't repeat it. Nintendo could have actually made an update that looked for the FIRM0/1 protection and removed A9LH. This update would have removed A9LH from an old3DS without hassle, but bricked the new3DS. This update would have also had a risk of bricking clean systems. It seems like Nintendo was aware of this and never pushed out such an update. Nintendo learned from their mistakes and haven't repeated them as of the previous system. So yeah, not really shocking that Nintendo won't want to brick systems again, but I brought up that they didn't repeat it as a means of saying that it's not really the same situation as the brick code.
Can someone give me a quick low down on what happened with Nintendo and region changed Wiis?
In an attempt to remove homebrew from the Wii, Nintendo pushed out the update 4.2 for the Wii. This update made changes to the boot2 and resulted in several wiis (hacked and clean) being bricked as a result. Basically Nintendo updated files that they shouldn't have updated in such a manor and it resulted in bricks.

Reactions: Drakia

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I am trying to say is that it looks like Nintendo learned from that and didn't repeat it. Nintendo could have actually made an update that looked for the FIRM0/1 protection and removed A9LH. This update would have removed A9LH from an old3DS without hassle, but bricked the new3DS. This update would have also had a risk of bricking clean systems. It seems like Nintendo was aware of this and never pushed out such an update. Nintendo learned from their mistakes and haven't repeated them as of the previous system. So yeah, not really shocking that Nintendo won't want to brick systems again, but I brought up that they didn't repeat it as a means of saying that it's not really the same situation as the brick code.

In an attempt to remove homebrew from the Wii, Nintendo pushed out the update 4.2 for the Wii. This update made changes to the boot2 and resulted in several wiis (hacked and clean) being bricked as a result. Basically Nintendo updated files that they shouldn't have updated in such a manor and it resulted in bricks.

Ah, I remember reading about that a while back (Probably 10 years ago now Lmao)
It definitely would've been something I would've chastised Nintendo for at the time as I have done with TX, but I'm not going to hate on a company that, as you rightly say, has learned from their mistake.

Reactions: Kioku

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It was straight up checking for the korean key and then bricking if found.

Shit was no "accident".

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Error_003

"IOS tries to encrypt a certain byte pattern with the Korean key and then compares it with hard coded values, if the result matches it returns 0 which will then trigger the error in the System Menu." Try to encrypt with the korean key, compare it and if it matches brick you with the 003 error.

Intentional as you can get. Not trying to get "rid of hombrew". Straight up checking to see if it's been region changed and then brick if it has.

Mental gymnastics in full swing for Nintendo doing it.

Reactions: cearp

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Thats the homebrew launcher, I give you that they used the community one, but that is not most of their work? or is it like you claimed? also I am doubting of this dude hekxys it seems he has a personal vendetta to TX, he even admitted he hated it, it could be a lie, but only time will tell with our piracy enabler hackers, gambare!!

thanks hekxys for cracking the code and naehwer for helping with the tools for delivering free efficient piracy to all :)

Last edited by kamesenin888,
Reactions: DarthDub and cearp

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
That's the promotion, but they completely avoided the actual topic on hand. They aren't addressing the actual brick code that they built into their product, which is the concerning issue. Everyone knows (or should know) that hacking your system runs the risk of bricking it, but deliberately bricking someone's system for trying to mess with your code is a completely different issue.

Not defending anyone, I just can't agree with your point of view

Should they have said "Our product is safe, but you don't have to buy it"?

About the brick code, it is clear what it does and when it does it. It's a security mechanism for TX to not get their work stolen and copied.

If you developed a product, would you let people use it for free?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not defending anyone, I just can't agree with your point of view

Should they have said "Our product is safe, but you don't have to buy it"?

About the brick code, it is clear what it does and when it does it. It's a security mechanism for TX to not get their work stolen and copied.

If you developed a product, would you let people use it for free?
Ironic considering their "product" is based off of the communities research and code

D

Deleted User

I've been saying for months now that TX might do a Team Gateway. It seems I was right. But nobody uses Gateway anymore. It fell out of popularity when free solutions which were better became available.

TX OS won't last long because it wont be able to compete with atmosphere or Reisyukaku's CFW.

EDIT: Apparently Layered FS loads games faster than SX OS already.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: fallingrat

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I've been saying for months now that TX might do a Team Gateway. It seems I was right. But nobody uses Gateway anymore. It fell out of popularity when free solutions which were better became available.

TX OS won't last long because it wont be able to compete with atmosphere or Reisyukaku's CFW.
I don't think anyone thought there wouldn't be brick code.
Whatever free solutions emerge, I hope they can use xci files, because that's useful. I don't think there is a non gw way to use .3ds files right?

Reactions: DarthDub

Dabiolos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ironic considering their "product" is based off of the communities research and code

yeah looks like they "borrowed" the homebrew launcher from the community but on the other side you can use it without license. They should have credited this part of sx where credit belongs to.

Since their HB-Launcher is less compatible with current homebrews there is a chance this is because of DRM measurements taken. Maybe a DRM free sx would run faster and better...

Their product is the backup launcher which is what you need the license for.

Reactions: djp-AKA-bionic

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

If that is so, then why does the community try to crack SX OS if all TX did was use what the community researched and released?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

tides

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gateway said support for life too

until they disappeared

it is clear that they are taking a page out of gateway, fucking people who crack their os even harder. or maybe they are gateway. we don't know.

anyway they are no different from nintendo IMO.

nintendo brick your device by shorting it if you buy 3rd party accessories. tx brick your device if u crack their software.

not sure which one is worse.

Last edited by tides,

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sure, then they will have to face the challenge and circumvent the brick code and not cry on here once their switches get bricked.

But hey, that will be an even harder challenge to get them unbricked.

EDIT:

It just struck me, why would the community reverse engineer something they have already researched and released?

/insert meme
*already posted it, won't post it twice*

Last edited by FliP0x,

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sure, then they will have to face the challenge and circumvent the brick code and not cry on here once their switches get bricked.

But hey, that will be an even harder challenge to get them unbricked.

EDIT:

It just struck me, why would the community reverse engineer something they have already researched and released?

/insert meme
*already posted it, won't post it twice*
The people _actually_ doing the work on this know how to unbrick their console, hexkyz isn't some newbie who just got into the scene. And the challenge is of course to get past SXOS's protection, like how can you not realize that? You're not a very smart guy.

Reactions: cearp and Masacci0

Benoit934

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The people _actually_ doing the work on this know how to unbrick their console, hexkyz isn't some newbie who just got into the scene. And the challenge is of course to get past SXOS's protection, like how can you not realize that? You're not a very smart guy.
When I hacked the TI Nspire boot2 some stated (hard to translate) this :
But I find it amusing that someone who could have largely been happy with nLaunch work hard to make a "free-boot 2", just because he wanted to and because it was "neat".

Just saying hackers are weird they can work hundred hours on something just because they want something and there is no others explanation (yes some just want money but others are addicts and feel the urge to break security checks or control their lights with a TV remote)

Basically they tend to enjoy doing random stuff and in many cases it's just useless (afterall when you play video games and try to get best score it's useless and you spend countless hours playing to reach that goal ...)

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1