Tx's Official Response to SX Bricking Code

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by mansonss, Jun 25, 2018.

1. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    Dude I wont think your opinion matters that much because nobody cares unless it affects someone, and even if does normally, the password would be with them because you didnt modified anything, if you want all that dont hold your breath because in reality nobody cares them telling that to incite more paranoia

If you have them with you now I would be interested

2. KTroopA

KTroopA GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2007
    TX: We guarantee that WE will not brick your console with our product.
    Hacker: Ok sounds good. what do I win?
    TX: Well that depends, can you guarantee that YOU will not brick your console by fucking with our product?
    Hacker: Mmmm.. il come back to you on that..

3. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    I feel like these kids had a good golden age the past few years of online piracy, so they expect it. But to me it's not really as exciting if there's no risk. I'll take my ban from Nintendo, I'm using unauthorized methods to play games, no duh, they don't want me on their network. And if I chose to use SX OS software, just like with any homebrew or hack, I'm gonna accept the responsibility and possibility of undesired operation.

If you have accepted that there is a chance of bad things happening, but feel like the benefits of hacking your console out weigh these risks, move forward and hack your switch.

If you're scared, just buy the games.

MasterJ360 likes this.
  4. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    And about the same chance of bricking like you would running hekate or bricmii

5. CaptainLoozer

CaptainLoozer GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Okay so when I don't brick it by fucking with their product, but some unrelated homebrew does something that SX OS "sees" as fucking with it, even if it isn't, and my console gets bricked, am I at fault? According to their wording I am because "SX Users don't need or want other software". That's complete bullshit. When many people were asking if SX Pro supports other payloads, and they said YES in their FAQ, that was a dead giveaway that their customers want other software and they KNEW it.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer, Jun 25, 2018
  6. Hahyestwo

Hahyestwo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2017
    United States
    IMO until a regular (non-hacker) user reports a brick, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Also, the hate on here is ridiculous - SX works like the polished product it was advertised as and Atmosphere isn't even out, yet people still want to believe TX copied Atmosphere? If you're so against their product then... don't use it?

MehMeh27, DarthDub, vpd and 1 other person like this.
  7. KTroopA

Mar 15, 2007
    AFAIK so far only confirmed case of SX OS bricks is by guys messing with the boot.dat and OS - Are there cases of bricks from homebrew use so far?

8. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Auto RCM was the only case I heard, but I think ppl ruled it out as not a brick maybe it's just unstable within open source

9. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    AFAIK no, but at one point when people were defending gateway, the same thing was said before people started getting bricked 3DS's from using clones that used gateway's OS, even if the customer never knew about it. THEN came the legit gateway user bricks. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't.

Brick the damn SX Pro or make the OS unusable, but don't brick my fucking switch.

TheDarkGreninja and Memoir like this.
  10. KTroopA

Mar 15, 2007
    I agree bricking is heavy handed and they dodged the admission completely. Not cool yes. I intend to use SX OS as intended and look forward to game switching and dumping etc added hopefully. So to use the software as intended. I cant see TX killing switches from regular users. Hackers who wanna dig about and mess shit up, thats on you. Have fun!

11. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    AutoRCM is not a brick. Only salty people call it that. It is in fact a recovery mode boot loop.

That is the purpose of it, that is the result.

Batpeter likes this.
  12. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Right, I know it wouldn't be absolutely intentional to brick someone's switch who wasn't really doing any tampering, but I'm just saying, if it happened it would be partly TX's fault since they purposefully put the code in there that caused it. However, according to their statement, you're pretty much SOL if you use ANYTHING except TX OS on your switch and something happens to it.

13. hellrokr

hellrokr GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    Can't disagree with you guys. I wish it wasn't but it is the risk that we have to take. If they can clarify that this thing can be decrypted, then I guess Im ok with it.

14. Dabiolos

Dabiolos Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2018
    Germany
    I bet Nintendo devs wish they also could brick modified switches by "accident" an replace them with mariko units but fortunately they aren't allowed.

15. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    I can agree with that. If they'd either remove it or just come out and clarify what they will do in the event that innocent people are affected by this code, I'd more than likely use it. But as for now, it's not touching my switch until they address this publicly.

Of course, this is all just hypothetical. We may be worrying for nothing as nothing might not ever happen but I'd rather not take any risks with it for now.

Meanwhile, naehrwert's over here getting this far and nothing has happened yet so obviously their brick code isn't working too well in regard to tampering.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer, Jun 25, 2018
  16. hellrokr

hellrokr GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    this is brilliant. I dont mind if it gets cracked even though Ive paid for it. I know I can afford it right now. But couldn't maybe 10 years back. One day maybe Ill be able to afford all the games as well.

17. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    Yes our cry baby dev is awesome, he is probably not as advanced in the tampering as hex

the_randomizer likes this.
  18. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Well the brick code doesn't work on PCs :P He seem to have manage to decrypt it fully. That's what this is about, it's not so much about a crack. But he can now follow where it goes after it say "success" or not.

19. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    I just assumed he'd be testing whatever he's doing on his own switch but it makes sense that he probably isn't, especially now that the brick code is public knowledge now.

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Provided Naehrwert doesn't delete the source code once it's made public for fear of it being abused :lol:

DarthDub likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted