TX and GBATemp

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While TX is constantly providing updates to the Switch hacking scene, the latest TX-related news usually incite numerous off-topic comments. What with every update being promoted to the front page to people having strong feelings about TX's behavior in the current scene, is there more harm or good being done? The following are a couple of concerns I have regarding the way GBATemp handles TX-related information.

• Why does TX get a new thread every time there's an update? While keeping people up-to-date is important, other CFWs don't get new threads made every time there is a new feature/update. Also how many times do those features/updates of other CFWs make the front-page? Isn't GBATemp supposed to be unaffiliated with TX and all other hacking teams? Why play favoritism with SX OS updates only?
  • Why isn't there a main TX thread? All of the other free and open-source CFWs have one thread dedicated to them where all updates and downloads are provided. Why have multiple different threads containing discussions for each individual update? What if a user wanted to know what each update added?
  • While GBATemp does condone people providing opinions on TX and other CFW, such discussions usually derail the topic of most, if not all, threads detailing an update for SX OS. Why not make a thread for people to discuss their various opinions on SX OS as well as other CFW for the Switch? There is a thread for the GPL licenses that TX may have violated but that doesn't cover people's subjective opinions on the CFWs themselves. If there was a thread for people to discuss such issues, would it have an effect on the discussion that takes place in future SX OS threads?
TX shows no signs of stopping provide support for their product which is not a bad thing necessarily, however if the days of the Gateway and the 3DS scene are anything to go by, we risk repeating history if nothing changes. I and hopefully everyone else wants to reduce the amount of bickering that occurs seemingly in every major TX thread so I hope we can work towards a solution that everybody can agree on.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
"temp got into google news and is too lazy to do their own research and write their own articles? wow."

It's like you cherry picked points to go on without referencing or acknowledging the other ones Costello made. Reporters do an excellent job of posting current gaming news so to say that they're too lazy to do research and write their own articles is just a terrible slap to the face. Unless something has changed from when I was Magazine staff, they're volunteers who post articles in their spare time.

"v1.7, v1.8 and v1.9 were bugfixes released in 3 days, none of them were really relevant to people except maybe v1.9 (which was finally free of major bugs), but v1.7 and v1.8 were instantly frontpaged anyways (without temp checking their claims), just like anything else garyopa (they're tx btw) posts."

Version 1.7 introduced 6.0 firmware support. Which I would say is a relevant/big update for most users as I'm sure the 6.0 firmware will be dropping soon.
Version 1.8 was just a bug fix for the 6.0 firmware support. SX OS not working on exfat formatted cards. Which from seeing your posts in the other thread still wasn't complete. (Some issue with the web applets crashing the system? IIRC.)
Version 1.9 finally fixed the issue with 6.0 firmware. Added the ability to update SX OS solely from the OS itself and increased FTP speeds/stability.

I'm in total agreement that version 1.8's changelog didn't justify a front page post due (Fixing a bug that shouldn't have been there if proper testing was done on the 1.7 update? Eh.) but at the same time I do believe that updates 1.7 as well as 1.9 brought enough content to the table to justify a front page post.

GBATemp is what I've read is at least trying to improve the diversity of front page articles regarding updates for other Switch CFWs instead of just shrugging you all off. Time will tell if it's just talk or if there actually be a change. (Again from my post earlier, I personally don't keep track of the progress of every CFW available for the Switch. From what I've gathered from reading your posts in other threads you seem pretty into the scene, have there been a significant improvements in other release CFWs? ReiNX looks like it was doing pretty awesome things with creating a toolkit but that has yet to be released IIRC.) I know there's a lot of hate for Team Xecuter but at the same time there are users that genuinely like "their" product and will want to see news about updates when they visit the site. That doesn't justify what they have/have not done but articles/threads being posted about SX OS updates aren't going to stop.
You do have a point, I cherry picked the ones I could oppose (I'm fine with rest of the points he made), and I apologize for that.

While v1.7 added sort of a big feature, it wasn't even booting for most and I feel like temp should've tested it before allowing it on front page.

"Time will tell if it's just talk or if there actually be a change." Tinfoil 0.2.0 was released today, it's all over discord and reddit, yet it's not posted here from what I can see, and it's definitely not on front page.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanna keep tx off of gbatemp? Tell scires to stop being a crybaby and a sjw so he can finally enable fucking piracy for his soonTM cfw. Here you have the tx killer.

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Wanna keep tx off of gbatemp? Tell scires to stop being a crybaby and a sjw so he can finally enable fucking piracy for his soonTM cfw. Here you have the tx killer.
If all you want is piracy, there's IPS patches that allow piracy for Atmosphere, made by raj, released under the name RajNX.

But guess what, TX is still here.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all you want is piracy, there's IPS patches that allow piracy for Atmosphere, made by raj, released under the name RajNX.

But guess what, TX is still here.
The "average" gbatemp user, who in fact are all new users seeking for cfws that are ready to use or that have been highly exposed. Atmosphere has been highly exposed, but as far as i know it isnt easy to use for new people that only wants piracy. So, guess why tx is still relevant.

Instead on doing starter packs that are still a hell to use for unexperienced people, work on your damn thing and make it as easy to use as possible, or you will just keep being left behind.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The "average" gbatemp user, who in fact are all new users seeking for cfws that are ready to use or that have been highly exposed. Atmosphere has been highly exposed, but as far as i know it isnt easy to use for new people that only wants piracy. So, guess why tx is still relevant.

Instead on doing starter packs that are still a hell to use for unexperienced people, work on your damn thing and make it as easy to use as possible, or you will just keep being left behind.
Dude, I'm not picking sides or anything, but an entitled attitude like this is exactly why many devs avoid GBAtemp and/or never release stuff to public.

Reactions: AveSatanas

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I'm not picking sides or anything, but an entitled attitude like this is exactly why many devs avoid GBAtemp and/or never release stuff to public.
In my end im not requesting anything, since i dont own a switch and i find the scene toxic af, even more than the 3ds one used to be. I'm just giving my point of view of why tx is still relevant for most people.

If you, as a dev, wont develop shit for the end user, dont go arround shitting on stolen work. You are not helping the cause complaining about that stuff if you wont develop something to stop it.

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
In my end im not requesting anything, since i dont own a switch and i find the scene toxic af, even more than the 3ds one used to be. I'm just giving my point of view of why tx is still relevant for most people.

If you, as a dev, wont develop shit for the end user, dont go arround shitting on stolen work. You are not helping the cause complaining about that stuff if you wont develop something to stop it.
Alright. It's okay to steal, and disliking that is wrong, instead we should scrap all the work done by hundreds of devs and start fresh so that we can try to defeat that.

Noted, thanks.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. It's okay to steal, and disliking that is wrong, instead we should scrap all the work done by hundreds of devs and start fresh so that we can try to defeat that.

Noted, thanks.
Nice job twisting my words and not getting what i say.

10/10 would read again.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do have a point, I cherry picked the ones I could oppose (I'm fine with rest of the points he made), and I apologize for that.

While v1.7 added sort of a big feature, it wasn't even booting for most and I feel like temp should've tested it before allowing it on front page.

"Time will tell if it's just talk or if there actually be a change." Tinfoil 0.2.0 was released today, it's all over discord and reddit, yet it's not posted here from what I can see, and it's definitely not on front page.

The only thing that I could potentially see being an issue with your second line is that 6.0 isn't officially released yet and it honestly should've been on TX to test "their" product before release. So for most people not on 6.0 it would've functioned properly. As for Tinfoil there should definitely be a thread made and front paged. I actually started to make a thread after reading your post on here and then reading the changelog on Reddit. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the changelog for Tinfoil? I've scoured the github page but can't find it. (And I don't want to just copy paste your Reddit post. At least not without permission.) I don't mind getting the ball rolling on more homebrew/CFWs being front paged.

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
The only thing that I could potentially see being an issue with your second line is that 6.0 isn't officially released yet and it honestly should've been on TX to test "their" product before release. So for most people not on 6.0 it would've functioned properly. As for Tinfoil there should definitely be a thread made and front paged. I actually started to make a thread after reading your post on here and then reading the changelog on Reddit. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the changelog for Tinfoil? I've scoured the github page but can't find it. (And I don't want to just copy paste your Reddit post. At least not without permission.) I don't mind getting the ball rolling on more homebrew/CFWs being front paged.
I went through the commits, and I actually helped test the network PR that got merged today so I'm familiar with what it did. Feel free to copy from reddit, make sure to give credit to people who did the work.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While TX is constantly providing updates to the Switch hacking scene, the latest TX-related news usually incite numerous off-topic comments. What with every update being promoted to the front page to people having strong feelings about TX's behavior in the current scene, is there more harm or good being done? The following are a couple of concerns I have regarding the way GBATemp handles TX-related information.

• Why does TX get a new thread every time there's an update? While keeping people up-to-date is important, other CFWs don't get new threads made every time there is a new feature/update. Also how many times do those features/updates of other CFWs make the front-page? Isn't GBATemp supposed to be unaffiliated with TX and all other hacking teams? Why play favoritism with SX OS updates only?
  • Why isn't there a main TX thread? All of the other free and open-source CFWs have one thread dedicated to them where all updates and downloads are provided. Why have multiple different threads containing discussions for each individual update? What if a user wanted to know what each update added?
  • While GBATemp does condone people providing opinions on TX and other CFW, such discussions usually derail the topic of most, if not all, threads detailing an update for SX OS. Why not make a thread for people to discuss their various opinions on SX OS as well as other CFW for the Switch? There is a thread for the GPL licenses that TX may have violated but that doesn't cover people's subjective opinions on the CFWs themselves. If there was a thread for people to discuss such issues, would it have an effect on the discussion that takes place in future SX OS threads?
TX shows no signs of stopping provide support for their product which is not a bad thing necessarily, however if the days of the Gateway and the 3DS scene are anything to go by, we risk repeating history if nothing changes. I and hopefully everyone else wants to reduce the amount of bickering that occurs seemingly in every major TX thread so I hope we can work towards a solution that everybody can agree on.
Gbatemp is treating SXOS like a flashcart, which I kinda understand, if cyclods, or acekard, or gateway had a update, then gbatemp would make a frontpage thread,now I'm guessing you made this thread mostly about ReiNX which I do agree should have a post every update, but then there's also which do they cover, real released, or "Neko/stash" releases? Perhaps after that's decided, someone should be made the person who informs a mod about the update/provides the nfo/changelog.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Also how many times do those features/updates of other CFWs make the front-page? Not often enough, which is why we are working on improving our coverage of scene news. We have repeatedly asked our current magazine staff to focus on scene news rather than gaming news but they are unfortunately not familiar enough with the homebrew/hacking scene to be able to post. We have identified someone who can help though, expect the first article in the coming days :)
This is a interesting topic, as it seems to be a part of a change in Gbatemp over the years, it's slowly become a gaming news site, which is kind of necessary when there is scene downtime (or at least I'm sure there's a user downtime) after a new console release. But how about adding back scene releases and game leaks? Are those things not there to to add a more "legitness" to Gbatemp? If so that's fine, but I'm sure many members would love seeing the current releases.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Feel free to make a user submitted news topic about it if you feel it should get more attention. If properly formatted it will likely get moved to the frontpage.

If nothing else it will serve as a reminder that something interesting has happened with a specific project.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feel free to make a user submitted news topic about it if you feel it should get more attention. If properly formatted it will likely get moved to the frontpage.

If nothing else it will serve as a reminder that something interesting has happened with a specific project.

Tried to do so earlier but it wasn't front paged. Was pretty sure I had the format down too. Most likely due to the nature of the app.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried to do so earlier but it wasn't front paged. Was pretty sure I had the format down too. Most likely due to the nature of the app.
Just given it a look and it's lacking actual content. News can't just be a quote and an image, it needs some sort of description. As ex-mag staff, I figured you'd be aware of this. Feel free to consult Chary's guide if you need a refresher:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/user-submitted-news-post-guide.502691/

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just given it a look and it's lacking actual content. News can't just be a quote and an image, it needs some sort of description. As ex-mag staff, I figured you'd be aware of this. Feel free to consult Chary's guide if you need a refresher:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/user-submitted-news-post-guide.502691/

I appreciate the answer, instead of the silence I was getting earlier. I was more into writing reviews than writing articles. This was before Magazine staff was split into different sections.

I'll definitely check out her guide sometime even though there wouldn't be much to add. A small synopsis of what Tinfoil does?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate the answer, instead of the silence I was getting earlier. I was more into writing reviews than writing articles. This was before Magazine staff was split into different sections.

I'll definitely check out her guide sometime even though there wouldn't be much to add. A small synopsis of what Tinfoil does?
Something like that. You want some flavour text around the content to introduce what it is, what this update has added, and why it's such a good thing. Just things like that really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work