Homebrew Twilightmenu++ and Nethack DS

MaximoMaxim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to launch the 3.43 version of Nethack DS on TwilightMenu++. Currently I launch into a black screen. I can't post a link since I created an account to ask this question. Are there any universal settings to apply for Homebrew ds games? I have the NetHack folder on the root of the SD card and the .nds file in the roms/nds folder of the SD card. I am on the current release of nds_bootstrap.

Maggelo

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's working fine in latest stable version (10.2) of Twilight menu with the included stable bootstrapnds
I have got Most DS homebrew working with default settings, these are the most important i think:
4:3 AR
DS mode
67 MHz (NTR)
VRAM boost off

Also, before running the ROM through Twilight menu, bring up the ROM-specific menu by pressing the Y button; make sure Direct boot is set to no.
Some work with it on and some need it off.
NethackDS only works without Direct boot for me

MaximoMaxim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After updating Twilightmenu and turning VRAM boost off, I still have the same problem. I got Stuart's original NetHack DS port from the Wayback Machine. Fancypantaloons has multiple versions on their github, but they require you to build the port yourself, which is confusing to me.

Which version of the port are you using? And how do you have the files placed in your SD card?

Maggelo

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
After updating Twilightmenu and turning VRAM boost off, I still have the same problem. I got Stuart's original NetHack DS port from the Wayback Machine. Fancypantaloons has multiple versions on their github, but they require you to build the port yourself, which is confusing to me.

Which version of the port are you using? And how do you have the files placed in your SD card?

I downloaded Fancypantaloons build from:
gamebrew.org (i'm sorry i couldn't link it properly, i made an account since i thought i could help people getting some DS homebrew running, i tried to get the Lonewolf series running since nds bootstrap was released, finally got it working now though)
Put the nethack folder in root of SD card.
Also, i recommend reading the twilightmenu wiki and explanations of all the options there also, especially the Direct boot option which u bring up when selecting the game, with the Y button
Anyway, best of luck to you!

EDIT: I see now that i was using a really old and outdated version! I am going go try with the 3.6.6 release from fancypantaloons github repository instead and report back if i get it working

Last edited by Maggelo,

MaximoMaxim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After playing a little bit I am getting frequent freezes. I think it's because I didn't set the aspect ration to 4:3, but I don't have the option available. I think that's because I have the wrong console type chosen, since I was never given the option on first launch. I can change the console type, but I do not know the number to represent the N3ds xl, right now it is set to 2. I'm posting here since I couldn't find any answers elsewhere.

Edit:
So I installed the widescreen hack to enable the option, and kept it 4:3 so that wasn't the problem

Last edited by MaximoMaxim,

ZiggityZeke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way of getting nds Forwarders working with nethack? I keep getting an error even though it's working fine

pikachuchujelly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same black screen issue, but I was able to get the latest version of NethackDS working (the 3.6.6 one from GitHub). It turns out that I forgot to copy the "NetHack" folder to the root of my SD card. Once I did that, the game works fine with TwilightMenu++.

Kingeorg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I'm trying to run the latest NetHackDS 3.6.6 From gamebrew.org and following the suggestions above, I make it to the greeting screen, then enter my character's name, but then the bottom screen turns black while the upper screen shows the stats of the game, when I run it with TwighlightMenu++. I am putting the Nethack folder and the .NDS in the root of my SD card, but perhaps it doesn't work with Luma3DS 11.17.0 CFW? Also it would be perfect if I was able to create a shortcut to my Home screen in the 3DS with NDSforwarder (like you can do with other NDS games). but I tried and it didn't work... Please help, Nethack is my all time favorite game and the only one I care to make it work. Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)