Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, is it safe to copy the new Reinand files onto my microSD using microSD Management while running Reinand? I don't have a microSD to SD adapter until my new microSD card comes in next week.

Yes.

On 'that 3ds site with isos' you can find a datamanagement.cia app that'll work on Reinand as well. Using that you won't be kicked back to Sysnand each time (since you wont be going into system settings)

mepica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, Soon I'll have a N3ds in 9.0/9.2 and I'd like to ask a few things before buying it to be sure that I understand how the CFW works (I chose reinand because most webs I've read say is the best one).

1- Has reinand something bad or wrong I should know before go for it?
2- I read that in N3ds emunand is up to 9.5, but other webs say 9.9 (seems like has compatibility since a week or two), what's the truth?.
3- cia backups don't have any problem with headers and playing online right?
4- MSET downgrading is able to N3ds in FW 9.0-9.2, is that right? (I'm tired of reading "downgrade mset", and at the end is just for O3ds, so I'd like to be pretty sure of this because I'll have ninjhax for a limited time).
5- (the last one :P) I read about how to "stuck" MSET exploit allowing to play NDS games without loose the exploit (if it needed I'll put source) but if someone already know it could confirm it please?

Edit: 6- I suppose that if I can go online, I could download updates of games or game content (like MH4 extras for example), or am I wrong? =/.

Thank you for read all this xD I really need to know all that so I don't want to take a wrong step (sorry if my english is not quite good, I do my best).

Last edited by mepica,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, Soon I'll have a N3ds in 9.0/9.2 and I'd like to ask a few things before buying it to be sure that I understand how the CFW works (I chose reinand because most webs I've read say is the best one).

1- Has reinand something bad or wrong I should know before go for it?
2- I read that in N3ds emunand is up to 9.5, but other webs say 9.9 (seems like has compatibility since a week or two), what's the truth?.
3- cia backups don't have any problem with headers and playing online right?
4- MSET downgrading is able to N3ds in FW 9.0-9.2, is that right? (I'm tired of reading "downgrade mset", and at the end is just for O3ds, so I'd like to be pretty sure of this because I'll have ninjhax for a limited time).
5- (the last one :P) I read about how to "stuck" MSET exploit allowing to play NDS games without loose the exploit (if it needed I'll put source) but if someone already know it could confirm it please?

Edit: 6- I suppose that if I can go online, I could download updates of games or game content (like MH4 extras for example), or am I wrong? =/.

Thank you for read all this xD I really need to know all that so I don't want to take a wrong step (sorry if my english is not quite good, I do my best).

1. Nothing bad / wrong with the cfw
2. N3DS Emunand goes up to 9.5.0-23
3. Correct
4. Correct - You'll use Ninjhax to downgrade the Mset (Unless you have a Gateway Flashcart)
5. It's possible, but does not work on all N3DS', also it can randomly become unstuck.
6. Correct, with FreeMultiPatcher you can go into the e-shop to buy dlc / download updates, or you could just install the updates / dlc as cias.

mepica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Nothing bad / wrong with the cfw
2. N3DS Emunand goes up to 9.5.0-23
3. Correct
4. Correct - You'll use Ninjhax to downgrade the Mset (Unless you have a Gateway Flashcart)
5. It's possible, but does not work on all N3DS', also it can randomly become unstuck.
6. Correct, with FreeMultiPatcher you can go into the e-shop to buy dlc / download updates, or you could just install the updates / dlc as cias.
Wow man xD really thank you. Just one question about point 4, why did you say that about gateway? is easier to downgrade mset with gateway or you mean that is the same?

Thank you again! =)

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow man xD really thank you. Just one question about point 4, why did you say that about gateway? is easier to downgrade mset with gateway or you mean that is the same?

Thank you again! =)

Overall the setup process is a bit easier if you have a Gateway Flashcart.
But, this can be done without one, so it'll save you ~$80 unless you plan on getting one anyways.

mepica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Overall the setup process is a bit easier if you have a Gateway Flashcart.
But, this can be done without one, so it'll save you ~$80 unless you plan on getting one anyways.

Thanks, I already have a sky3ds (which I'm going to use it for ninjhax), my plan was to sell it after I do all the process and launch cfw by mset, but... what you told me about stuck mset made me think and I'm not sure of selling it at this moment.

instupituous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Today I decided to format my Pasta sysnand and get ready for emunand but I have run into problems early on. I have gone as far as scanning the gateway QR code and it says exploit installed and then hangs (I left my DS on for 10 minutes to see if it was a slow burner). I restarted, wiped the QR and tried again and had the same. When I run the QR like it just goes multicoloured and then hangs again. I have followed all the instructions as I haven't got a NAND backup but falling short. Any suggestion?

I have a 9.0 3DSXL EU

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I already have a sky3ds (which I'm going to use it for ninjhax), my plan was to sell it after I do all the process and launch cfw by mset, but... what you told me about stuck mset made me think and I'm not sure of selling it at this moment.

I'd keep it.

Today I decided to format my Pasta sysnand and get ready for emunand but I have run into problems early on. I have gone as far as scanning the gateway QR code and it says exploit installed and then hangs (I left my DS on for 10 minutes to see if it was a slow burner). I restarted, wiped the QR and tried again and had the same. When I run the QR like it just goes multicoloured and then hangs again. I have followed all the instructions as I haven't got a NAND backup but falling short. Any suggestion?

I have a 9.0 3DSXL EU

Make sure you have Gateways Launcher.dat on your mSD.

mepica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, maybe this is not the thread to ask this but is somthing quickly. Which kind of save file (I mean, extension) of a card1 game do I need for injecting it to a cia?. As I said before, I have a sky3ds and have .sav files, are them enough to restore my sav in a cia? or do I need to export some files by savedatafiller or savedata manager?. And one more thing, if I erase a cia, savedata will be erased too? or it remains in mSD?

Thanks again! ;)

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, maybe this is not the thread to ask this but is somthing quickly. Which kind of save file (I mean, extension) of a card1 game do I need for injecting it to a cia?. As I said before, I have a sky3ds and have .sav files, are them enough to restore my sav in a cia? or do I need to export some files by savedatafiller or savedata manager?. And one more thing, if I erase a cia, savedata will be erased too? or it remains in mSD?

Thanks again! ;)

Should just need to select your game on the Sky3ds > SaveDataFiler > Backup the save with [Y] > SD tab > Import save to SD card with [R] + [A].

If you delete the game, it'll delete the data as well, yes. You can make backups with SaveDataFiler or connect the mSD and manually backup the saves (you'll have to lookup how to do that though)

Reactions: quazimojo

mepica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you delete the game, it'll delete the data as well, yes. You can make backups with SaveDataFiler or connect the mSD and manually backup the saves (you'll have to lookup how to do that though)

So (related to manually backup), is there a folder in mSD like "savedata" where are all the saves or do I need to go one by one making backups? I mean, is just "copy" and "paste" or I'll have to go
through each game looking for it own save?

Thanks as always, I'll get you bored asking all day xD

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So (related to manually backup), is there a folder in mSD like "savedata" where are all the saves or do I need to go one by one making backups? I mean, is just "copy" and "paste" or I'll have to go
through each game looking for it own save?

Thanks as always, I'll get you bored asking all day xD

You have to go into each games installed folder & backup the save file.

julezS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So is cubic ninja the only way to set this up? I have a n3ds on 9.0.20 and a o3ds on 9.9, I have ironhax and tubehax set up on it and I modified version of ironhax installed on my OoT3D cart that works on my nn3ds to use homebrew. I've read about a save for OoT3D to boot into gateway mode, but its a .sav file and there aren't any save managers for any of those exploits that use that format. If i can somehow get that on to my cart and can boot into gateway mode shouldn't i be able to install the profile exploit on my n3ds and set up an emunand?

just a thought

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is cubic ninja the only way to set this up? I have a n3ds on 9.0.20 and a o3ds on 9.9, I have ironhax and tubehax set up on it and I modified version of ironhax installed on my OoT3D cart that works on my nn3ds to use homebrew. I've read about a save for OoT3D to boot into gateway mode, but its a .sav file and there aren't any save managers for any of those exploits that use that format. If i can somehow get that on to my cart and can boot into gateway mode shouldn't i be able to install the profile exploit on my n3ds and set up an emunand?

just a thought

If you could get Gateways .sav for OOT onto your cartridge it may work (Not all OOTs are compatible)
You'd need a Save dongle or someone that already has access to the Gateway menu

Also OOThax would have to boot into Ninjhax 1.1, I don't know if it works with that as well or just the new Ninjhax 2.1.

julezS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what i was thinking, maybe someone would be so kind as to share their gateway booting save in a format the save managers on ninjhax 2.0/2.1 can use. I was also thinking about if it would be possible to replace the ninjhax 2 payload used in the OoT3D save with an older 1.0/1.1 one since I'm on an exploitable firmware. I don't know enough about the process to know if that would work but if it did it would be another way to get there without cubic ninja for people. A lot more people have OoT3D.

ista

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, hope you can help me.

I was following the tutorial and everything went fine until the unlink sysnad/emunand step. Then after unlinking it, devmenu disappeared from Reinand.

Following what has been said in this post, I started the process again from Step 2 (Install Devmenu again on sysnand) but I couldn´t manage to install Devmenu (always the same Database_Invalid; even if I create the extra folder and 2 files)

So I restore my sysNand again to start from scratch. I format my emunand and then I start Step 2 again to install Devmenu. It installs fine in the FBI menu; but after loading pasta it does not appear. When booting there´s a white plain icon where the new present icon should appear and then disappeara after 2 seconds. I checked through all the grid of icons but it´s not there.

Any advice? I also read in a spanish forum that people installs FBI.cia along the devmenu.cia, but this is not specified in this tutorial. Does that make any difference? if so, where I could get the fbi.cia file?

Thanks

instupituous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd keep it.

Make sure you have Gateways Launcher.dat on your mSD.

Thanks for the help. I have since installed Reinand but after formatting sysnand I cannot boot into reinand without ninjhax which defeats the point of mset if I have been following this correctly. I cannot see a step in the tutorial that'll help me with this, what would resolve this?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help. I have since installed Reinand but after formatting sysnand I cannot boot into reinand without ninjhax which defeats the point of mset if I have been following this correctly. I cannot see a step in the tutorial that'll help me with this, what would resolve this?

Well, in order to launch the profile exploit before, you install the Reinand ROP.
Formatting the Sysnand wipes everything installed on that profile, so you need to reinstall the ROP. :P

More than likely going to revise the guide in the near future to clarify a few things / rearrange some steps.

Hi, hope you can help me.

I was following the tutorial and everything went fine until the unlink sysnad/emunand step. Then after unlinking it, devmenu disappeared from Reinand.

Following what has been said in this post, I started the process again from Step 2 (Install Devmenu again on sysnand) but I couldn´t manage to install Devmenu (always the same Database_Invalid; even if I create the extra folder and 2 files)

So I restore my sysNand again to start from scratch. I format my emunand and then I start Step 2 again to install Devmenu. It installs fine in the FBI menu; but after loading pasta it does not appear. When booting there´s a white plain icon where the new present icon should appear and then disappeara after 2 seconds. I checked through all the grid of icons but it´s not there.

Any advice? I also read in a spanish forum that people installs FBI.cia along the devmenu.cia, but this is not specified in this tutorial. Does that make any difference? if so, where I could get the fbi.cia file?

Thanks

For Database invalid, you need to create the dbs folder / files (These need to be in the Sysnands ID folder in mSD/Nintendo 3DS/ID/ID/dbs/ - Each time you format Sysnand it'll create a new folder, it's best to delete all of the folders if you're starting from scratch) > go into Data Management > Nintendo 3DS > Software & let the 3ds reconfigure them.

I'd boot back into Pasta one more time, if see a package then unwrap it. If you don't, go into Data Management > Nintendo 3DS > Software - If you see Devmenu, uninstall it.
Exit back to home > CN > Ninjhax > Pasta > Ninjhax > FBI > Install Devmenu again > Back out of FBI > Launch Pasta > Should have a wrapped package.
If that doesn't work, then something must of went wrong previously. So i'd format Sysnand again > dbs files > fix them with Database > Ninjhax > Pasta > Ninjhax > FBI > Dev > Pasta > Unwrap.

Once you have Devmenu on your Sysnand turn off the 3DS > entire mSD to computer > Reinsert mSD > Boot Gateway menu > Format Emunand > Turn off > Connect mSD to computer and copy everything back > Turn the system on > Check Emunand for Devmenu > Once it's confirmed that it's there > Turn off > Remove mSD > Turn on and format Sysnand one more time > Turn off after setup > insert mSD > reinstall ROP > Boot Emunand and you should be all set.

You do not need to install FBI.cia, but you can if you want. It's just another title manager. You could install it to Emunand using Devmenu once you're all setup.
You can get the FBI.cia from here - https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases - Download the latest, and dig through the folders till you find it. :)

Last edited by usernametaken,

iceedge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @usernametaken. The new microsd card came in with the adapter so I'm back at it again. Using the new microsd I'm basically starting over, and when I got to the part where I install devmenu I get an error message when I try to run it: An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart. (unsaved data may be lost.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hi