adrian783

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
selling it...? maybe about 100 bucks. why would anyone want a Wii with no DVD drive and a HD stuck inside? it just lost TONS more functionality.

hogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice I might try this
smile.gif

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
adrian783 said:
selling it...? maybe about 100 bucks. why would anyone want a Wii with no DVD drive and a HD stuck inside? it just lost TONS more functionality.

Hmm, the only functionality that it has lost is the ability to play Gamecube backups and both originals, this is not so much of a problem if you have backed up all your originals in the first place.

Anyway, nice job with this mod, it is pretty damn cool. I don't think i'll be attempting this myself though, the reason why i soft-modded was to skip the part where i had to open the console to fit a chip
tongue.gif

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
awesome! mayby i am gonna try it to, it looks great!
perfect for taking your wii somewhere, cause you dont have to carry games and/or external hdd with you!

pitweasel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Terrific job - I might try that myself someday if I can actually muster up the courage to do so. Not a very handy person. But the tutorial is easy to understand. Thanks!

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still personally think the easiest thing to do this would be to get one of the really small SSDs to do it with. I'm not going to mod my Wii to use this, but I just received a 32GB Runcore SSD for my Dell Mini 9, and I wanted to test it with the Wii before I did anything else. It already has a microUSB port on there, and is absolutely tiny (they make up to a 128 GB one that is slightly larger in size):

img0001800.jpg

Still, this is really an awesome mod. Though, I have to ask. Is there any reason you used the cable to the outside, rather than finding where the USB connector attaches to the motherboard, and soldering it there?

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(IOS37 @ Apr 1 2009, 01:25 PM) *
Remove the board from the DVD drive and keep it in and plugged into the wii.
That should make the wii still think it has a DVD drive.

That's wasted space..haha and I'd like to use my Wii drive for something on the side. It's kinda pointless without a board.

You're welcome.

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jhoff80 said:
Still, this is really an awesome mod. Though, I have to ask. Is there any reason you used the cable to the outside, rather than finding where the USB connector attaches to the motherboard, and soldering it there?

he's lazy or unskilled.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Coburn64 said:
Looks good, but I'd perfer my Wii's DVD Drive to load games as what happens if the HDD dies on you?

lmao can y ou imagine the guys at nintendo openin t up?

'ah a simple swap... WTF is that?? no wonder the damn thing didnt work! quick, just put his saves on a new Wii and send him that, he'll never know'

lol sweet

jak66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jhoff80 said:

USB cable outside = Can disconnect from Wii and plug into PC to add games
USB cable inside = Open up Wii every time you want to add a new game

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jak66 said:
jhoff80 said:

Good point, though I add my games from the originals so I guess that's why I never thought of it.
biggrin.gif

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
he's lazy or unskilled.

Don't be a jackass. It wouldn't even take any skill to do that, and I prefer not to lose a USB port. Also, if you use another USB port, you wouldn't be able to hook it to your comp at will.

QUOTE said:

Hardly, only thing it's lost is the ability to play Gamecube games..and it's not like Wanin won't make gamecube support at some point.

QUOTE said:
Looks good, but I'd perfer my Wii's DVD Drive to load games as what happens if the HDD dies on you?

It'd take about 50 seconds to replace it, haha.

I still personally think the easiest thing to do this would be to get one of the really small SSDs to do it with. I'm not going to mod my Wii to use this, but I just received a 32GB Runcore SSD for my Dell Mini 9, and I wanted to test it with the Wii before I did anything else. It already has a microUSB port on there, and is absolutely tiny (they make up to a 128 GB one that is slightly larger in size):

If you want to, you could just use a 64gb USB port, and install it internally easily, that'd give you the ability to keep your DVD drive as well.. But I wanted more space, and the mod was requested. USB drives are portable anyways, lol, it'd be better to just carry them around.

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jak66 said:
jhoff80 said:

If you solder the usb to the inside you should still be able to plug it into a computer as long as the wii isn't powered.

Also I would use some sort of ESD plastic between the DVD board and the foam pad, don't just heat up the board wires and pull them out do it right and desolder them from the board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1