Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samiam144

OP samiam144 Régulier

Canada
    It will only reboot to the HBL if Menuhax is setup to launch automatically. If you have any button set to launch Menuhax (ie Type 1 configuration, ex: it will only launch when you hold the L button), then you have to hold that specific button so that it reboots to the HBL and not to the home menu. It gives you the invalid signature error usually when you aren't in CFW (like miniPasta or rxTools).

You can also try rxTools' Pasta mode/Devmode -> HBL -> FBI -> Install the cia.
    It means sysnand, doesn't matter if it's regular or rxMode.

Okay I just checked, it is System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software. I missed a step, sorry! It's a surprise no one mentioned this in all this time (almost a year since the guide was posted) lol; thanks for bringing it to my attention! Will update the guide right now.

Anyways, if you still don't get the "repair/reset" error, then you have placed the dbs folder in the wrong section. But if you do get a pop up asking you to confirm something, then it's in the right location.

Potato hoarder likes this.
  2. Charmeleon

Charmeleon Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ah okay thank you very much! This might be a stupid question but what is the difference between a rom/iso and a cia? -do I have to convert the .3ds files into a CIA?
    FE: I recently downloaded the cubic ninja rom and its in .3ds form, do I need to convert it into a cia?

I'm going to attempt both the methods you mentioned to play games so I understand how to do both. It was difficult to obtain the sky3ds+ and just got it today so even though I dont need it I will still use it.

3. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Canada
    Use .3ds to play on cartrages, use .cia to play on home menu.

4. Charmeleon

Newcomer

United States
    Last edited by Charmeleon, Mar 8, 2016
  5. Charmeleon

Newcomer

United States
    also wondering if I can use the cubicninja rom to install ninjhax or if I have to have the cartridge version? I will buy it if I need it but if I can install ninjhax without buying the cartridge I would rather do that since I dont plan on playing that particular game.

6. Charmeleon

Newcomer

United States
    I am trying to install a CIA and am following the How to install games, updates etc. section.

• Open RXMODE EmuNAND or SysNAND (depending on which nand you would like to access the .cia from).
    • Launch BigBlueMenu / Title Manager, or any other CIA Installer that you have installed.
    • Go to the SDMC tab.
    • Go to the location of the .cia file(s)
    • Highlight the .cia and press A.
    • Press A once more to confirm the installation.
    • Wait for it to finish.
    • If you want to delete the .cia file after installation (since it isn't needed anymore once installed), highlight the .cia and press X, then A to confirm.
    • Press HOME and you should get a notification that you have a new app.

I already have the cia in the cia folder so if I am understanding correctly what I need to do is boot into emuNAND and use DEVMENU to install it?

Also when playing the games in CIA form, do I need to create headers to play online or is that only if I want to play them on the sky3ds?

Last edited by Charmeleon, Mar 8, 2016
  7. samiam144

OP samiam144 Régulier

Canada
    .3ds roms can only be played from a flashcard like Sky3DS and Gateway. CIAs are games you can install to the home menu, and are not supported by the Sky3DS.
    That looks good, you should be able to use that.
    You can use a Cubic Ninja rom, but you would need to be in CFW to use it. You can also use Browserhax or the HB_launcher.cia (if you are on 9.0 - 9.2).
    Yes that is correct. You can use DEVMENU, BigBlueMenu, FBI, etc.
    No, only .3ds roms use headers. CIAs use your own unique 3DS header, so you don't have to do anything special; just install and play.

KozyKozin likes this.
  8. gettogaara

gettogaara GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hi. I've been completely out of touch with the hacking scene for the past three years now and only just found out today that a flash cart is no longer needed to play games on the 3DS. I have an old 3DS XL with firmware at 8.1.0-19U. I'm planning to use your guide, but first I have a horribly noobish question. Is there any difference between using an SD card and a MicroSD with an adapter in this case? And following that, which would you recommend?

9. KozyKozin

KozyKozin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Good Morning from NY.

I'd like to start off by saying this is an amazing guide but I hit a snag. A really big one at that and I was wondering if there's anyway to even fix this.

I did every step word for word on my O3DS 8.1.0 U. The progress was going amazingly well. I reached up to Step 7 which was update the emuNand. Upon doing so I noticede that it said it should be RX-E but mines said RX-S. I followed the steps as it is and the system updated like normal and I can't access rxtools like I was doing before or anything else. I made the back ups on my desktop but I literally have no idea what my next course of action should be. I really hope, following the guide mindlessly didn't just shoot me in the foot sigh...

10. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you don't have a prefered way of getting into the hb menu, then use Browserhax, and then launch rxtools from the hb menu. That should get you into rx-e.

11. KozyKozin

KozyKozin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Just tried it, it didn't work. Because I did the update which puts me on the lastest format, It seems like I'm out of options now. All I did was follow this part of the guide too. Only variation was that I had RX-S instead of E

• Boot into Emunand, and launch System Settings.
    • Make sure it says RX-E or RX3D in front of the version number to be sure that you are in EmuNAND
    • Do NOT exit System Settings at this point or you will be kicked back to sysNAND!
    • Press Other Settings
    • Scroll to the right until you see System Update
    • Press System Update and accept
    • When it is done, your 3DS will reboot into sysNAND
      • If you have Menuhax, your 3DS will reboot and launch Menuhax instead. That is not a problem.
    • When you launch rxTools and boot into EmuNAND, you will see that it is now updated to the latest version

12. Just Passing By

United States
    You updated with RX-S? Oops.

13. KozyKozin

KozyKozin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yeah, sounds like I'm screwed I guess. That should at least be a disclaimer in the guide so poor souls that already on the right path don't get lead astray. It's a burrowed 3ds from a friend anyways, I may return it and pick up an Ol XL and try again next month or something..

14. Just Passing By

United States
    Well it sounds like there might be a way to downgrade from 10.4+. The chat is cancer though, but it's been confirmed to work, but the build that did it was a private fork so no one's getting it yet.

15. Durig

Durig OMGWTFBBQ

Bolivia
    tested microsd+adapter on o3ds with emunand and this guide and all went flawless
    (switch to SD 32 gb later because micsosd was 16 gb).
    tl;dr : you good to go with microsd

ps my personal prefer - sandisk (any 10 class are good),
    class is only matter for your PC ( when you writing cia files to your SD\microSD you want the best speed possible, am i right?)
    if i remebmer right the 3ds itself only capable of 4( or 6) class speed

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

damn, recently one of 3ds, where i install сfw with this guide, and his owner made the same mistake =\
    you probably can wait with new info poped-up yesterday or already start to find a capable person for hardmoding 3ds

samiam144 and gettogaara like this.
  16. Je08

Je08 Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Actually my menuhax continues to launch with the same button config, could there be a problem with that???

17. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Canada
    Rx-s = sysnand
    Rx-e = emunand

18. Charmeleon

Newcomer

United States
    Okay well the whole point of me getting the sky3ds+ and cubic ninja was from various reading I did, I believe it will allow me to access homebrew from emuNAND instead of sysNAND. The reason I want to be able to do this is so I can extract game saves from my downloaded app games. If I run homebrew than my save game dumper (its called svdt) it only lets me extract things installed to my sysNAND or from whatever cartridge is plugged in. Back in the 10.3 update, before I had emuNAND, I could use svdt to extract from my e-shop/app. games as well as my cartridge. So right now I have no way of extracting saves from my e-shop games unless I can access homebrew from emuNAND instead of sysNAND. So while playing games through CIA is easier and more effective I need the sky3ds+ in order to be able to use some of my apps in emuNAND instead of sysNAND. Is it possible to do this?

19. Durig

Durig OMGWTFBBQ

Bolivia
    1. you can extract your save data with cia version of "savedatafiler" ( cant share it here, find it on that iso site)
    2. you dont need nor sky3ds nor cubic ninja to get to HBL in emunand ( use HBL in cia format https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases )

20. Charmeleon

Newcomer

United States
    Hmm okay I will look into this! thank you!

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [Tutorial], Installing, Firmware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.