[Guide] Everything under the Sky3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by super.bean, Apr 5, 2015.

1. super.bean
    OP

super.bean GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu
    07/26/15: Hi guys! I'm glad some of you found this guide very useful, although I wasn't able to answer all of your recent questions, the post is kinda outdated, and there are some really cool new stuff available for Sky3DS users, It seems that I'm kinda busy with work right now and I won't be active for some time.

I'm sorry guys, I'll try my best to answer your questions and keep this post updated in my free time. Even so, this guide isn't 100% perfect as I'm also still learning about Sky3DS. Please continue to post suggestions and comments,

Thanks a bunch!

Bean :D

Table of Contents

- Basics

Highlights

I. Packaging
    II. Setting Up
    III. More DiskWriter Functions

- Advanced

I. Private Headers
    II. Extracting a Private Header
    III. Injecting a Private Header
    IV. Header Checking
    V. Cheating with Spider

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BASICS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlights

• Every time you need to pull out your MicroSD Card from the Sky3DS Flashcart, please press the Blue Button in order for your save file (currently in the EEPROM) to be saved into the MicroSD Card, not doing this will result to your save game being lost.
    • Using public headers ONLINE will result to a ban, but using them without ever going online is fine.
    • Save files (".sav" files) share headers with their respective games. A game cannot recognize a save file with a different header.
    • About the EEPROM [Yes/No]

[​IMG]

According to a GBATemp Member

That said, I actually played Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and using the Sky3DS Blue Button and latest template files, I don't really encounter issues with it.
    I. Packaging
    II. Setting Up
    III. More DiskWriter Functions

Advanced

I. Private Header

A Private Header is a piece of data from a legit physical copy of a game cart. This data is unique to a single game cart. It also exists somewhere in Nintendo's database which they use to check if how many people are using the same header online.

Normally, it is impossible for two or more headers to be online at the same time since the headers come from a legit physical game cart and it is physically impossible for two or more consoles to be using the same physical game cart at the same time.

But for the digital ROMs used by flash carts, these headers are shared.

With the recent ban wave (which is still on going) using Public or Shared Headers (originating from Sky3DS' Template File shared by many Sky3DS users) could result to your console being banned.

Note: Using a public header without ever going online will not result in a ban.

II. Extracting a Private Header
    III. Injecting a Private Header
    IV. Header Checking
    V. Cheating with Spider

Last edited by super.bean, Jul 26, 2015

2. steap

steap Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Wow! Thank you very much for your effort! I'm looking forward to your 'advanced' guides.

Had to learn that in the hard way. This needs to be more highlighted in my opinion.

3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    This is awesome. Great job. I have had one for a few weeks but haven't bothered with it yet. Will definitely be using this.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. super.bean
    OP

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

Your welcome, seeing that there are many Sky3DS users throwing questions here and there, I decided that I should just compile everything I learned into one post :D

Well, for now, i just bold the sentence assuming everyone new with the Sky3DS that will read this post will go through the Setting Up part, they should see it.
    But in the future, I'll include a FAQs Part and Cheating on Games with Sky3DS using Spider part. :D

Thanks! :D

Update me if you find errors or things that need any concern or clarification.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Iamapirate

Iamapirate GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    You're an absolute legend. Here I am, thinking I'd have to use some poorly written guide on the official website. xD

Simple and easy to understand. Thanks!

Margen67 likes this.
  6. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    This is great.
    Is it possible to get a picture of the inside (both sides) of the Sky3ds with blue button.
    Im really interested if theres a new chip being used or is it still the old one. :O

7. CrystalForce

CrystalForce I'm gonna "fix" that spaghetti.

Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    Press the blue button when? When that cartridge is out of the 3DS or inside it?

8. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica

Inside, so the blue LED will blink.

9. tekwarfare

tekwarfare GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2015
    This is a brilliant guide, it should definitely be a sticky.

EEPROM-NO and EEPROM-YES ROMs are an interesting topic you could also include.

10. super.bean
    OP

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

I'll try, maybe the cover is glued together and I'll have a hard time taking them apart and piecing them together, I'll try though, and will post some results :D

The Sky3DS must be inside the 3DS console for it to be functional, then just press the blue button (just like moving to the next game) and the Blue LED Light should flash and EEPROM save file gets saved into your MicroSD Card.

Thanks :D! Okay, I'll read more of it once I get back home :D

11. hacksdenied

hacksdenied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2015
    Senegal
    Thank for creating such a comprehensive guide.
    I dump my alpha sapphire US version and inject the header into my template.
    I used the HxD software to check my .sav file and the header is no where to be found.
    I am currently into 80 hours of mh4u and has always wanted to go online.
    What should i do now?

12. LurkerA

LurkerA ㊣New3DS

Apr 8, 2010
    United States
    Nice job ! Thanks Super.bean !
    You might also add these useful info below(from the official site sky3DS.com):

SKY3DS card useful informations:

1. Switch to next GAME:
    Press red / blue button , sky3ds will save EEPROM to microSD card, it will skip to next game, at the same time,will read this game save data with EEPROM to microSD card, then you can start to play.

2. Restore single game save data from PC:
    With your sky3ds on 3DS, switch to other game(not the game you need to restore save data), and pull out the microSD card , insert with adapter to connect with PC. Open Diskwrite tool to do single game “Restore Save”option from one of your“.sav”files, insert Sky3ds with microSD card into 3DS Slot, press red/blue button and cycle to the game(you need to restore save data one) and enjoy.
    Note:If you forgot switch to other game , please follow step 4.

3. Restore all games save data:
    Open Diskwriter tool to do “File”->“Restore Save data”, save file to PC , insert Sky3ds with microSD card into 3DS Slot. Then follow the step 4 did.

4. Initial SKY3DS:
    Power on your 3ds console , hold to press red/blue button with finger, insert to 3DS Slot with your sky3ds , it will not display any game icon on screen. Pull out sky3ds and insert to 3DS again , the LED light will flashing fast, the game icon still doesn’t display. Again, pull out sky3ds and insert to 3DS, LED light flashing and turn off in few seconds, this means the first game save data has been read EEPROM normally from MicroSD card, you can play to enjoy it.

5. Before you change to new MicroSD Card or delete game save data:
    If you currently have game save data saved in SKY3DS, and you want to be change to another new MicroSD Card, you should press the red / blue button to switch to next game, the game save data will be saved from the EEPROM memory to the SD Card.

13. super.bean
    OP

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

Did your .sav file come from a game that was written using a private header?
    The game should be written using your "private template file" (template file which was injected with your private header) so that the resulting .sav file will contain the private header.

(I'll add this somewhere in my guide)

Save files (.sav files) are dependent to their respective game's headers. If your .sav file was backed up from a game that was using a public header,
    re-writing that game using a private header will result to the game not recognizing your save file.

Though this is based on what I have currently read, I will look further into editing the headers of .sav files to match their games.

as of now, I recommend you keep that .sav file somewhere safe :)

Thanks for contributing! :D will edit soon :D

14. hacksdenied

hacksdenied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2015
    Senegal

Here is what i did,
    1) i download the newest template from sky3ds website
    2) inject my private header
    3) insert the template with my private header into sky
    4) write my mh4u.3dz rom into sky
    5) restore my save file
    i did the above and i couldnt go online. After reading your guide, i realise that inside my .sav file there is no header but my template file has my private header.

15. super.bean
    OP

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

Let me just review,

1. You downloaded Sky3DS' latest template file from their website.
    2. You injected your private header into the template file using No Ban No Sky.
    3. You open DiskWriter, and on the Options Tab on the Menu Bar, you clicked the Change Template File option and chose the template file you injected with your private header
    4. You wrote your MH4U.3ds game on your MicroSD Card

is that correct?

16. super.bean
    OP

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

I attempted to break into my cart, sadly I just confirmed that the cart is held together by an adhesive, and that opening the cart means that i have to carefully break through the outer shell of the cart, which I can't do because I don't want to break my cart's shell, sorry.

17. hacksdenied

hacksdenied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2015
    Senegal

i wrote my mh4u.3dz game on my microSD card.
    It is a .3dz file i downloaded from a website which says it is online patched. I don't know if that matters.
    after writing my MH4U.3DZ file (US Version) right click on the game, and clicked Restore Save File and click on the save file i backup with 80 hours of gameplay.

Note: the rom is US version, i am using a New3ds US version too and my header was extracted from a US version legit copy of Alpha Sapphire.

18. super.bean
    OP

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

Sadly, if you wrote your MH4U using your private header, assuming your old .sav file was played with MH4U with a public header, then your new MH4U game with the private header will not recognize your save file as they don't share the same header.
    I'm trying to experiment with changing .sav file headers to match games with different header files. As for now, just hold on to that .sav file.

19. hacksdenied

hacksdenied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2015
    Senegal

I've been trying to change the header in my .sav file to match my private header. Sadly it didn't work out. When i put it in my 3ds it says save file corrupted and format my save file.

20. super.bean
    OP

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

Using the HxD software? :(. That was what I was gonna try, I guess you answered it. Though it may not be possible today, or maybe we just don't know how to do it, YET. Maybe a few days or weeks from now someone might be able to solve that issue and I'll add it here in the guide. As of now, just hold on to that save, or just start a new game using a private header.