Hacking [Guide] Everything under the Sky3DS

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
07/26/15: Hi guys! I'm glad some of you found this guide very useful, although I wasn't able to answer all of your recent questions, the post is kinda outdated, and there are some really cool new stuff available for Sky3DS users, It seems that I'm kinda busy with work right now and I won't be active for some time.

I'm sorry guys, I'll try my best to answer your questions and keep this post updated in my free time. Even so, this guide isn't 100% perfect as I'm also still learning about Sky3DS. Please continue to post suggestions and comments,

Thanks a bunch!

Bean :D

Table of Contents

- Basics

Highlights

I. Packaging
II. Setting Up
III. More DiskWriter Functions

- Advanced

I. Private Headers
II. Extracting a Private Header
III. Injecting a Private Header
IV. Header Checking
V. Cheating with Spider

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BASICS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlights

• Every time you need to pull out your MicroSD Card from the Sky3DS Flashcart, please press the Blue Button in order for your save file (currently in the EEPROM) to be saved into the MicroSD Card, not doing this will result to your save game being lost.
  • Using public headers ONLINE will result to a ban, but using them without ever going online is fine.
  • Save files (".sav" files) share headers with their respective games. A game cannot recognize a save file with a different header.
  • About the EEPROM [Yes/No]

Ye8U75b.png

According to a GBATemp Member

EEPROM is a physical chip that is on most 3DS games, which are called CARD1, where the game's save function is to save any information to the EEPROM. However, CARD2 games don't have the EEPROM chip built in, and obviously can't save to it as a result. Instead, they save to the same place where the game's information is located on the physical copy of the game. This is called a CARD2 game, and when you try to save a CARD2 game's save information to the EEPROM, it doesn't work since they are designed in such a way that they aren't meant to have an EEPROM chip.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a CARD2 game, thus it has to save information to the rom directly. If it is burned in a EEPROM=yes (CARD1) format, it will appear to be broken by the system.

That said, I actually played Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and using the Sky3DS Blue Button and latest template files, I don't really encounter issues with it.
Front

Once you've received your very own Sky3DS Flashcart, it will come in a small cardboard pack with a plastic case holding the cart.

iKcS5Yz.jpg

Front (Case Open)

The plastic case opens up by flipping the cover upwards.

http://i.imgur.com/K0ZltAY.jpg[/IMG]

Back

The back portion shows an image of a "very familiar alien robot".

yjnuZ1x.jpg

Cart (Front)

The front features a sticker with the same "very familiar alien robot" along with Sky3DS' logo and website.

TjV7j8M.jpg

Cart (Back)

The back shows the contact pins and very slightly on the top, you can see the Blue Button, Blue LED Light, and MicroSD Card Slot.

QhIR0eZ.jpg

Overall, the packaging is small and simple, and the plastic case makes it easier for you to store the cart as the plastic case is easily resealable.

The cart is very well-made, there were no rough edges (I heard some received their carts with rough edges and had to file them out) and the sticker quality and placement is okay. There is a concern of the MicroSD Card slot, as it isn't spring-loaded, so assuming you have the cart loaded in the 3DS, you'll have to take the cart out to change MicroSD Cards. There's also the blue button, as users are afraid that prolonged use might break the button and render the cart unconditional. The blue button is somewhat sturdy in my opinion and it would likely last a couple of years before wearing out.
Requirements

1. Insert your MicroSD Card in your Card Adapter / Card Reader
  2. Plug the Card Adapter / Card Reader on the USB Port of your computer
  3. In your computer, place the Sky3DS' DiskWriter and The latest Sky3DS Template File in the same folder

YocdJtj.png
  4. Right-click the DiskWriter and Run as Administrator
  5. Choose your MicroSD Card and click the Go! Button

HJIzHd5.png
  6. If it's the first time you used your MicroSD Card on DiskWriter, you should see this pop-up

OYEqrTh.png
  7. Just click the OK Button and continue
  8. You should see the main interface of the DiskWriter. Start by Formatting your MicroSD Card to a format that's readable by the Sky3DS Flashcart

yKcHHnb.png
  9. On the Menu Bar, click the File Tab and choose Format from the drop-down menu

erboE9d.png
  10. You will be prompted twice to continue the formatting as it will ERASE everything on your MicroSD Card. If the MicroSD Card is empty or you've already backed up and cleared the contents of the MicroSD Card, click the Yes Buttons

1LkA2xo.png

5AHVh9R.png
  11. After the formatting is complete, click the OK button

BWaokED.png
  12. Now that your MicroSD Card has been formatted, click the Options Tab on the Menu Bar and choose Change Template option from the drop-down menu

1ZttdO8.png
  13. Choose The latest Sky3DS Template File

Cs8v3rD.png
  14. After choosing the template file, you can check the currently chosen template file on the Status Bar

cAa1hnW.png
  15. Next, tick the Verify check-box to verify the ROMs upon writing

qV2cZfz.png
  16. On the File Tab on the Menu Bar, choose the Write option

b81eN7f.png
  17. Choose your ROM file

H7EkpME.png
  18. After choosing your ROM File, If the game is already supported by Sky3DS and you have loaded The latest Sky3DS Template File, it should show you this prompt
    (Note: If it shows you a different pop-up saying the game is not yet supported, you either have an obsolete template file or Sky3DS has not released support for that game yet. Don't worry they usually update their template files 3 times a week or so)

jLRyqfC.png
  19. Click the OK button and the DiskWriter should start the writing operation

m9MWEXh.png
  20. After writing, the DiskWriter will verify the ROM if it's been properly written to your MicroSD Card

qSEShev.png
  21. After verifying, DiskWriter should be done writing your ROM to your MicroSD Card

pMTOfll.png
  22. Close the DiskWriter application and Safely Remove your MicroSD Card Adapter / Card Reader from your computer
  23. Remove the MicroSD Card from the Card Adapter / Card Reader and plug it in the MicroSD Card Slot on your Sky3DS Cart
  24. Plug in the Sky3DS Flashcart in your 3DS

BcyxcPM.jpg
  25. Turn your 3DS on and you should see nothing at first

lNBrj5Q.jpg
  26. Hold the Blue Button of the Sky3DS Flashcart for a few seconds

EhoeXDD.jpg
  27. Reboot your 3DS and you should see the Blue LED Light flash

oU7QLKE.jpg
  28. You should now be able to see the game you've written on your MicroSD Card
    (Note: You don't need to hold the Blue Button every time you boot up your 3DS, only do these steps when there is no game displayed on your 3DS)

Ndbu2fA.jpg
Every time you need to pull out your MicroSD Card from the Sky3DS Flashcart, please press the Blue Button in order for your save file (currently in the EEPROM) to be saved into the MicroSD Card, not doing this will result to your save game being lost.

That concludes the Setting Up part of the guide.
44zel2P.png

Backup Games

Backs up all of your games and save files from your MicroSD Card into your computer as a ".bkg" file.

This is recommended when writing additional games to your MicroSD Card because, the different capacity of each game will cause a waste of memory space. Backing up and restoring your games and save files will help you reorganize and optimize memory space.

Restore Games

Restores a backup file (".bkg" file) containing games and save files back into your MicroSD Card.

Backup Save Data

Backs up all of your games' save files into your computer as a ".bks" file.

Restore Save Data

Restores a backup file (".bks" file) of your games' save files back into your MicroSD Card.

ReFormat

Reformat your MicroSD Card into a Windows readable format.
Note: This erases all of the data in your MicroSD Card.

zRTf1s4.png

8qWGrJ4.png

9RvfnCR.png

Optimiser

Backs up all of your games and save files from your MicroSD Card into your computer as a ".bkg" file and automatically restores the backup file (".bkg" file) into your MicroSD Card. Backing up and restoring your games and save files will help you reorganize and optimize memory space.
SlLsk3n.png

Backup Save

Backs up the games' save file into your computer as a ".sav" file.

Restore Save

Restores a save file (".sav" file) to a specific game back into your MicroSD Card.

Backup Game

Backs up the game into your computer as a ".3ds" file.

Delete Game

Deletes the game from your MicroSD Card.

asemG8L.png
wnG5srO.png

XXInanC.png

Checking this feature will let you rename your games upon writing.

To rename a game, the DiskWriter retrieves the game names from a file called Setting.ini (which is automatically created once you activate the Image Name Updata option from the Options Tab on the Menu Bar).

GFXxj1I.png

Simply open the Setting.ini file, find your game, and change the default name to your desired game name.

RfwbHku.png

After doing this, the DiskWriter will check the Setting.ini file for game names every time you write a game.

Advanced

I. Private Header

A Private Header is a piece of data from a legit physical copy of a game cart. This data is unique to a single game cart. It also exists somewhere in Nintendo's database which they use to check if how many people are using the same header online.

Normally, it is impossible for two or more headers to be online at the same time since the headers come from a legit physical game cart and it is physically impossible for two or more consoles to be using the same physical game cart at the same time.

But for the digital ROMs used by flash carts, these headers are shared.

With the recent ban wave (which is still on going) using Public or Shared Headers (originating from Sky3DS' Template File shared by many Sky3DS users) could result to your console being banned.

Note: Using a public header without ever going online will not result in a ban.

There are few ways to extract a private header from a legit physical game cart.
I'll just stick to two very common ways.

GBATemp user LameNobody posted a tutorial on how to extract a private header using Powersaves.
You can view it here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-get-your-private-header-using-powersaves.385511/
Requirements

Sadly, I don't own a Gateway-3DS Cart. So for more information on how to dump or backup your legit physical game cart using Gateway, please refer to Gateway-3DS' official manual.

After you dumped or backed up your legit physical game cart, you should end up with a .3DS file of your game inside your 3DS' SD Card.

1. Plug in your SD Card in your SD Card Reader and plug it in the USB Port of your computer.
  2. Cut the .3DS File from your SD Card and place it somewhere in your computer.
  3. Safely Remove your SD Card Reader from your computer.
  4. Extract PsyKo's Gateway ROM Patcher and place your .3DS file in the same folder.

FZPXvCm.png
  5. Open PsyKo's Gateway ROM Patcher

yBQXsFI.png
  6. Load your .3DS file on PsyKo's Gateway ROM Patcher

POFhMcj.png
  7. Click the Export header to file Button and save the .bin file on the same folder.
  8. You should end up with a .bin file. This contains your header information. Keep it in a safe place and NEVER share it with anyone.

YZ7xXCb.png
This concludes our Extracting a Private Header using Gateway-3DS part.
Requirements

1. Place The latest Sky3DS Template File, hackotedelaplaqu's No Ban No Sky, and Your Private Header File (.bin file) in the same folder.

kNN7gkp.png
  2. Open hackotedelaplaqu's No Ban No Sky

KzTnapD.png
  3. Double-click on Your Private Header File (.bin file) and The latest Sky3DS Template File

bLtXKr5.png
  4. Click on the Patch ALL Games in the template file Button
And that's it, I recommend renaming your template file into something else like (private403.txt) because you will be using this template file when writing games on your MicroSD Card using the DiskWriter.

Note: Please don't include spaces and other special characters when renaming your template file.

This concludes our Injecting a Private Header part.
Requirements

Assuming you already played a game using Sky3DS and using your private header.

1. Plug in your MicroSD Card in your MicroSD Card Adapter / Card Reader and plug it in the USB port of your computer.
  2. Open Sky3DS' DiskWriter and select your MicroSD Card
  3. Right-click on your game and click the Backup Save option

SlLsk3n.png
  4. You should end up with a .sav file

cO1pIdY.png
  5. Open HxD (A free hex-editing software) and open your .sav file

nvyuT39.png
  6. Check and see if the lined out area (red lined) matches your private header. If it matches, you are using a private header on the game you are playing with Sky3DS.
This concludes our Header Checking part.
For this part, I lack personal knowledge and don't know much in-depth detail. What I only know is how to make it work, and that it works :D.

Spider pretty much gives us the ability to cheat with our games given our limited capabilities using the Web Exploit.

For this part, I'll be focusing on KazoWAR's ARCode Spider Web Exploit.

Requirements

1. Turn on your 3DS and open up your game
  2. For this tutorial, I'll be editing my Fantasy Life's Dosh

KVlEU0w.jpg
  3. Take note of this value (for me it's 2446854)
  4. Press the HOME Button on your 3DS

49482XS.jpg
  5. Without exiting the game, while the game is on standby, go to your Web Browser
  6. Go to Browser Settings by clicking the Wrench Icon

DXcvN00.jpg
  7. Scroll down a bit and click the Clear History and Delete Cookies Buttons

bZFTpZG.jpg
  8. Click the OK Button
  9. Click the URL Button on the menu

DXcvN00.jpg
  10. Enter this URL http://lunarcookies.github.io/fcram.html and click the Confirm Button to go the launcher for the exploit
  11. Your lower screen will then flicker black and some colors, don't worry, it's normal

9a0N2pM.jpg
  12. Wait for the browser to crash

2Lk9Rvv.jpg
  13. Turn off your 3DS
  14. Open the side-slot containing your 3DS' SD Card
  15. Plug in your SD Card into the SD Card Reader and plug it in the USB port of your computer
  16. Cut the FCRAM.bin file from your SD Card and place it somewhere in your computer
  17. Safely Remove your SD Card Adapter and remove your SD Card on it
  18. Plug back your SD Card to the side-slot of your 3DS
  19. Open HxD (A free hex-editing software) and open your FCRAM.bin file

ecipJS3.png
  20. Using a Decimal to Hex converter (this is what I used) convert the value of Dosh into hex, in my case, 2446854

1BCZFpJ.png
  21. After you get the result, if you get a result with less than 8 digits, just like mine. Just add 0s in front to make it 8 digits
    Also, group them by two

TWcdJeR.png
  22. After grouping them by two, it's on endian (refer to the convention used to interpret the bytes making up a data word when those bytes are stored in computer memory) so you need to mirror the hex values

OVPenI7.png
  23. Switch back to HxD (A free hex-editing software) and key in CTRL+F to initiate a Find prompt

HEjHX09.png
  24. Paste your hex value on the text box and change the Datatype to Hex-values and click the OK Button
  25. The program should search for the first occurrence of your hex value. Take note of the offset in which this value is found. The offset is located on the lower-left of the screen. (In my case, it's 329CB0C)

j542C36.png
  26. Press F3 to continue finding other occurrences of the hex value, take note of the offsets. In my case, there were only 2 matching results. The second offset is 39A0C0C

PxuALwA.png
  27. Taking note of the offsets

cUkYfZJ.png
  28. Turn on your 3DS and open up your game
  29. Change the value of Dosh (in my case, 2482854)

wHsPn9s.jpg
  30. Repeat Steps 1 - 18 to get another FCRAM.bin file

Ey4YGgl.png
  31. Repeat Steps 19 - 27 using the New FCRAM.bin taking note of the offsets

MxXnqeK.png

7sqt3Gl.png

ZoLhTk9.png

cUkYfZJ.png
  32. For me, both offsets found on the Old FCRAM.bin and the New FCRAM.bin match, sometimes you end up with only 1 matching offset, sometimes you end up with more. Take note of the matching offsets and disregard any offset without a match.
  33. Now let's say I want my Dosh to be 500,000. I will open up a Decimal to Hex converter (this is what I used) and convert 500,000 to hex

nFGIqLp.png
  34. As usual, if it's lesser than 8 digits, add 0s in front to make it 8 digits

7R6neW6.png
  35. You don't need to mirror it this time. Instead do the same to your offsets, add 0s in front to make them 8 digits
  36. Go to http://lunarcookies.github.io/cheat.html and paste the offset and value in this format (offset<space>value)

T51RB7v.png
  37. Click QR Gen to generate a QR Code

MbCETZn.png
  38. Turn your 3DS on and open up your game
  39. Press the HOME Button to go to standby mode

49482XS.jpg
  40. Without closing the game, press simultaneously both L + R Buttons to initiate the 3DS Camera and press the QR Code Mode

KH0RC8e.jpg
  41. In QR Code Mode, scan the QR Code you made in http://lunarcookies.github.io/cheat.html and press the A Button or click the OK Button

fWgWcfr.jpg
  42. Press the A Button or click the OK Button to Launch the browser

fmjhY4U.jpg
  43. The exploit should run, wait for the browser to crash

bc1x4jT.jpg
  44. After the browser crashes, press the A Button or the OK Button to continue

2Lk9Rvv.jpg
  45. Finally, go back to your game, and check the result

7rJZjkP.jpg
  46. Don't forget to SAVE your game
This concludes our Cheating with Spider part

Note: Sorry for my lack of explanation, since I'm also new to Spider. Sorry :D.
Here, have some references:

KazoWAR's ARCode Post (Filled with lots of cheat examples and tools for making your own cheats)

ProjectPokemon's Forum (Filled with Spider Web Exploits focusing primarily on Pokemon editing, cloning and etc)

duke_srg's Alternative Multipurpose ROP Exploit Launcher (Where you can find almost every Spider Web Exploit Launcher and tools)

Last edited by super.bean,

steap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow! Thank you very much for your effort! I'm looking forward to your 'advanced' guides.

Every time you need to pull out your MicroSD Card from the Sky3DS Flashcart, please press the Blue Button in order for your save file (currently in the EEPROM) to be saved into the MicroSD Card, not doing this will result to your save game being lost.
Had to learn that in the hard way. This needs to be more highlighted in my opinion.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome. Great job. I have had one for a few weeks but haven't bothered with it yet. Will definitely be using this.

Reactions: Margen67

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow! Thank you very much for your effort! I'm looking forward to your 'advanced' guides.

Had to learn that in the hard way. This needs to be more highlighted in my opinion.

Your welcome, seeing that there are many Sky3DS users throwing questions here and there, I decided that I should just compile everything I learned into one post :D

Well, for now, i just bold the sentence assuming everyone new with the Sky3DS that will read this post will go through the Setting Up part, they should see it.
But in the future, I'll include a FAQs Part and Cheating on Games with Sky3DS using Spider part. :D

This is awesome. Great job. I have had one for a few weeks but haven't bothered with it yet. Will definitely be using this.

Thanks! :D

Update me if you find errors or things that need any concern or clarification.

Iamapirate

Trophies
XP
Country
You're an absolute legend. Here I am, thinking I'd have to use some poorly written guide on the official website. xD

Simple and easy to understand. Thanks!

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
This is great.
Is it possible to get a picture of the inside (both sides) of the Sky3ds with blue button.
Im really interested if theres a new chip being used or is it still the old one. :O

CrystalForce

I'm gonna "fix" that spaghetti.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Press the blue button when? When that cartridge is out of the 3DS or inside it?

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a brilliant guide, it should definitely be a sticky.

EEPROM-NO and EEPROM-YES ROMs are an interesting topic you could also include.

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is great.
Is it possible to get a picture of the inside (both sides) of the Sky3ds with blue button.
Im really interested if theres a new chip being used or is it still the old one. :O

I'll try, maybe the cover is glued together and I'll have a hard time taking them apart and piecing them together, I'll try though, and will post some results :D

Press the blue button when? When that cartridge is out of the 3DS or inside it?

The Sky3DS must be inside the 3DS console for it to be functional, then just press the blue button (just like moving to the next game) and the Blue LED Light should flash and EEPROM save file gets saved into your MicroSD Card.

This is a brilliant guide, it should definitely be a sticky.

EEPROM-NO and EEPROM-YES ROMs are an interesting topic you could also include.

Thanks :D! Okay, I'll read more of it once I get back home :D

hacksdenied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Thank for creating such a comprehensive guide.
I dump my alpha sapphire US version and inject the header into my template.
I used the HxD software to check my .sav file and the header is no where to be found.
I am currently into 80 hours of mh4u and has always wanted to go online.
What should i do now?

LurkerA

㊣New3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice job ! Thanks Super.bean !
You might also add these useful info below(from the official site sky3DS.com):

SKY3DS card useful informations:

1. Switch to next GAME:
Press red / blue button , sky3ds will save EEPROM to microSD card, it will skip to next game, at the same time,will read this game save data with EEPROM to microSD card, then you can start to play.

2. Restore single game save data from PC:
With your sky3ds on 3DS, switch to other game(not the game you need to restore save data), and pull out the microSD card , insert with adapter to connect with PC. Open Diskwrite tool to do single game “Restore Save”option from one of your“.sav”files, insert Sky3ds with microSD card into 3DS Slot, press red/blue button and cycle to the game(you need to restore save data one) and enjoy.
Note:If you forgot switch to other game , please follow step 4.

3. Restore all games save data:
Open Diskwriter tool to do “File”->“Restore Save data”, save file to PC , insert Sky3ds with microSD card into 3DS Slot. Then follow the step 4 did.

4. Initial SKY3DS:
Power on your 3ds console , hold to press red/blue button with finger, insert to 3DS Slot with your sky3ds , it will not display any game icon on screen. Pull out sky3ds and insert to 3DS again , the LED light will flashing fast, the game icon still doesn’t display. Again, pull out sky3ds and insert to 3DS, LED light flashing and turn off in few seconds, this means the first game save data has been read EEPROM normally from MicroSD card, you can play to enjoy it.

5. Before you change to new MicroSD Card or delete game save data:
If you currently have game save data saved in SKY3DS, and you want to be change to another new MicroSD Card, you should press the red / blue button to switch to next game, the game save data will be saved from the EEPROM memory to the SD Card.

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank for creating such a comprehensive guide.
I dump my alpha sapphire US version and inject the header into my template.
I used the HxD software to check my .sav file and the header is no where to be found.
I am currently into 80 hours of mh4u and has always wanted to go online.
What should i do now?

Did your .sav file come from a game that was written using a private header?
The game should be written using your "private template file" (template file which was injected with your private header) so that the resulting .sav file will contain the private header.

(I'll add this somewhere in my guide)

Save files (.sav files) are dependent to their respective game's headers. If your .sav file was backed up from a game that was using a public header,
re-writing that game using a private header will result to the game not recognizing your save file.

Though this is based on what I have currently read, I will look further into editing the headers of .sav files to match their games.

as of now, I recommend you keep that .sav file somewhere safe :)

Nice job ! Thanks Super.bean !
You might also add these useful info below(from the official site sky3DS.com):

SKY3DS card useful informations:

1. Switch to next GAME:
Press red / blue button , sky3ds will save EEPROM to microSD card, it will skip to next game, at the same time,will read this game save data with EEPROM to microSD card, then you can start to play.

2. Restore single game save data from PC:
With your sky3ds on 3DS, switch to other game(not the game you need to restore save data), and pull out the microSD card , insert with adapter to connect with PC. Open Diskwrite tool to do single game “Restore Save”option from one of your“.sav”files, insert Sky3ds with microSD card into 3DS Slot, press red/blue button and cycle to the game(you need to restore save data one) and enjoy.
Note:If you forgot switch to other game , please follow step 4.

3. Restore all games save data:
Open Diskwriter tool to do “File”->“Restore Save data”, save file to PC , insert Sky3ds with microSD card into 3DS Slot. Then follow the step 4 did.

4. Initial SKY3DS:
Power on your 3ds console , hold to press red/blue button with finger, insert to 3DS Slot with your sky3ds , it will not display any game icon on screen. Pull out sky3ds and insert to 3DS again , the LED light will flashing fast, the game icon still doesn’t display. Again, pull out sky3ds and insert to 3DS, LED light flashing and turn off in few seconds, this means the first game save data has been read EEPROM normally from MicroSD card, you can play to enjoy it.

5. Before you change to new MicroSD Card or delete game save data:
If you currently have game save data saved in SKY3DS, and you want to be change to another new MicroSD Card, you should press the red / blue button to switch to next game, the game save data will be saved from the EEPROM memory to the SD Card.

Thanks for contributing! :D will edit soon :D

hacksdenied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Did your .sav file come from a game that was written using a private header?
The game should be written using your "private template file" (template file which was injected with your private header) so that the resulting .sav file will contain the private header.

(I'll add this somewhere in my guide)

Save files (.sav files) are dependent to their respective game's headers. If your .sav file was backed up from a game that was using a public header,
re-writing that game using a private header will result to the game not recognizing your save file.

Though this is based on what I have currently read, I will look further into editing the headers of .sav files to match their games.

as of now, I recommend you keep that .sav file somewhere safe :)

Here is what i did,
1) i download the newest template from sky3ds website
2) inject my private header
3) insert the template with my private header into sky
4) write my mh4u.3dz rom into sky
5) restore my save file
i did the above and i couldnt go online. After reading your guide, i realise that inside my .sav file there is no header but my template file has my private header.

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here is what i did,
1) i download the newest template from sky3ds website
2) inject my private header
3) insert the template with my private header into sky
4) write my mh4u.3dz rom into sky
5) restore my save file
i did the above and i couldnt go online. After reading your guide, i realise that inside my .sav file there is no header but my template file has my private header.

Let me just review,

1. You downloaded Sky3DS' latest template file from their website.
  2. You injected your private header into the template file using No Ban No Sky.
  3. You open DiskWriter, and on the Options Tab on the Menu Bar, you clicked the Change Template File option and chose the template file you injected with your private header
  4. You wrote your MH4U.3ds game on your MicroSD Card

is that correct?

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is great.

I attempted to break into my cart, sadly I just confirmed that the cart is held together by an adhesive, and that opening the cart means that i have to carefully break through the outer shell of the cart, which I can't do because I don't want to break my cart's shell, sorry.

hacksdenied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Let me just review,

1. You downloaded Sky3DS' latest template file from their website.
  2. You injected your private header into the template file using No Ban No Sky.
  3. You open DiskWriter, and on the Options Tab on the Menu Bar, you clicked the Change Template File option and chose the template file you injected with your private header
  4. You wrote your MH4U.3ds game on your MicroSD Card

is that correct?

i wrote my mh4u.3dz game on my microSD card.
It is a .3dz file i downloaded from a website which says it is online patched. I don't know if that matters.
after writing my MH4U.3DZ file (US Version) right click on the game, and clicked Restore Save File and click on the save file i backup with 80 hours of gameplay.

Note: the rom is US version, i am using a New3ds US version too and my header was extracted from a US version legit copy of Alpha Sapphire.

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i wrote my mh4u.3dz game on my microSD card.
It is a .3dz file i downloaded from a website which says it is online patched. I don't know if that matters.
after writing my MH4U.3DZ file (US Version) right click on the game, and clicked Restore Save File and click on the save file i backup with 80 hours of gameplay.

Note: the rom is US version, i am using a New3ds US version too and my header was extracted from a US version legit copy of Alpha Sapphire.

Sadly, if you wrote your MH4U using your private header, assuming your old .sav file was played with MH4U with a public header, then your new MH4U game with the private header will not recognize your save file as they don't share the same header.
I'm trying to experiment with changing .sav file headers to match games with different header files. As for now, just hold on to that .sav file.

hacksdenied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sadly, if you wrote your MH4U using your private header, assuming your old .sav file was played with MH4U with a public header, then your new MH4U game with the private header will not recognize your save file as they don't share the same header.
I'm trying to experiment with changing .sav file headers to match games with different header files. As for now, just hold on to that .sav file.

I've been trying to change the header in my .sav file to match my private header. Sadly it didn't work out. When i put it in my 3ds it says save file corrupted and format my save file.

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been trying to change the header in my .sav file to match my private header. Sadly it didn't work out. When i put it in my 3ds it says save file corrupted and format my save file.

Using the HxD software? :(. That was what I was gonna try, I guess you answered it. Though it may not be possible today, or maybe we just don't know how to do it, YET. Maybe a few days or weeks from now someone might be able to solve that issue and I'll add it here in the guide. As of now, just hold on to that save, or just start a new game using a private header.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: okies :D put 'em here :O