Hacking [Tutorial] How to "Undub" Zelda: Breath of the Wild

shampler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I did this procedure with the Japanese voice files, but it seems to have broken Yunobo's voice clips out of cutscenes.
Here's what he's supposed to sound like with proper working Japanese audio files.

(1:34:10)

In my game, it simply doesn't play any voice clips at all. Works fine in cutscenes though. Is there a file naming discrepancy between EN and JP? Or are some of my voice files just broken somehow?

Last edited by shampler,

speckxz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I did this procedure with the Japanese voice files, but it seems to have broken Yunobo's voice clips out of cutscenes.
Here's what he's supposed to sound like with proper working Japanese audio files.

(1:34:10)

In my game, it simply doesn't play any voice clips at all. Works fine in cutscenes though. Is there a file naming discrepancy between EN and JP? Or are some of my voice files just broken somehow?

As long as you only overwrite files then it won't get rid of any with naming discrepancies. If you deleted them before transferring the JP files, that would be why he's missing ALL dialogue. Just transferring the JP voices should at least have left him speaking English if they were named differently.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

botwpoking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Figure I should ask it here since this is relevant. I'm attempting to restore the original logo, anyone managed to unpack and repack SBLARC files? Header looks like Yaz0/SARC, but Uwizard seems to unpack and/or repack it improperly, game crashes at launch. Tested repacking with files untouched, still crashes. PACK repacking works fine. The Wii U Zip tool mentioned a page ago works with PACK, but not SBLARC.

I'm testing these files blind, by the way. Couldn't find any tool that handles them.

content/Pack/Bootup.pack/Layout/Common.sblarc/timg/
Logo2D_00^d.bflim
Logo2D_00_JPja^d.bflim
Logo3DGameTitle_00^l.bflim
Logo3DGameTitle_00_JPja^d.bflim

Last edited by botwpoking,
Reactions: FlappyFalco

bobrocks95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the Japanese voices running off of my US disc version of the game finally. I'll try to document everything I did. Let me know if I missed a step.

FSHax does indeed allow Breath of the Wild to access the SD Card, the problems lie with Mocha + FSHax not working properly. I'm unsure if the problem is Mocha or the person who combined the two doing it improperly, but the point is it doesn't work.

For installation/setup:
  1. Follow this guide to create a fw.img that you will later modify (This is the hardest step- feel free to ask for help, but check that thread first to see if someone else had the same problem you did)
  2. Download the FSHax IPS patch from this thread
  3. Download Lunar IPS patcher, available from romhacking.net
  4. Patch the fw.img that you generated in step 1 with the fw.ips from step 2 using Lunar
  5. Place the fw.img file on the root of your SD card

For voice file setup:
  1. Follow FlappyFalco's guide up to step 3 (NOTE: you do not need to download your version of the game, just the version you want the voice files from)
  2. Create a folder on the root of your SD card named the title ID of your Zelda disc IN ALL CAPS (For US -> 00050000101C9400-------for EU -> 00050000101C9500)
  3. Put the folder for whatever voice files you want to use in the folder you just created, renaming the JPja (or whatever language) folder to the language your game is expecting (for US copies, USen)
Final file structure for JPN voices on my US copy is root:\00050000101C9400\Voice\USen

To run the undub:
  1. Run the browser exploit to launch the Homebrew Launcher
  2. Run CFWbooter - available from the homebrew app store or this thread
  3. Wait for the Wii U to reboot and open the Homebrew Launcher through the browser exploit again (The channel version of HBL I usually use through Mocha does not work)
  4. Run SDCafiine - available from the homebrew app store or by compiling it yourself
  5. Launch Breath of the Wild and enjoy :)

If you want quick confirmation that the undub is working:
Talk to Impa and have her replay the "10,000 years ago" cutscene.

I don't know if you'll find this well-written enough to add it to the OP FlappyFalco, but hopefully it helps someone :)

Last edited by bobrocks95,

Enteking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda sounds a million times better. I wish this would work with SDcafiine, when playing from an original disk without installation.

I also wonder if it is possible to do other hacks or mods, like increasing the performance by deleting shader files.

Enteking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone answer a question for me? Why do people that don't speak Japanese always want their games in japanese? Is it just a weeb thing?

Because Zelda's voice is done in a horribly bad way, the actress seems to be bored and uninterested. A voice transports not only the word itself but also the tone, intention and the feelings of a character. In the Englisch voice acting, this information is mostly lost. So even if you do not understand a single word of Japanese, the Japanese voice acting transports more information than the English one and you still have the English subtitles. The overall experience is much better.

Regarding SDCafiine, great to hear that it actually works.

Reactions: WeedZ

shampler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you only overwrite files then it won't get rid of any with naming discrepancies. If you deleted them before transferring the JP files, that would be why he's missing ALL dialogue. Just transferring the JP voices should at least have left him speaking English if they were named differently.
Reinstalled a completely fresh EU copy of the game. Tested it to see if Yubono's sound clips work and they did. Then downloaded someone else's JP voice pack and installed it via ftpiiu. Now Yubono's voice clips are broken again. There's some underlying issue going on here, can anyone else confirm if it happens to them too?

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Because Zelda's voice is done in a horribly bad way, the actress seems to be bored and uninterested. A voice transports not only the word itself but also the tone, intention and the feelings of a character. In the Englisch voice acting, this information is mostly lost. So even if you do not understand a single word of Japanese, the Japanese voice acting transports more information than the English one and you still have the English subtitles. The overall experience is much better.

Regarding SDCafiine, great to hear that it actually works.
Zelda's voice seemed to convey depression and stress to me, which would be appropriate. Honestly with Japanese voices the tone wouldn't be the same to those that speak english. Even in casual conversation Japanese males have a dominating and stern tone and females have timid and soft tone. Unless you natively speak Japanese the subtlety in there tones to each situation would be lost.

Reactions: VinsCool

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Can someone answer a question for me? Why do people that don't speak Japanese always want their games in japanese? Is it just a weeb thing?
For real, I'm not expecting any American to understand that, but let's do this one more time.
What part of "I want to experience this product in its native spoken language, whether that is Japanese, Russian, German, or anything" do you not understand?
Each language has its own beauty, and it DEFINES a game, a film, a theater play, anything that involves acting.
Is it good that things are getting dubbed so they're accessible to a lot more people than they would have been? Yes, absolutely.
Is it my preferred way of experiencing it? No, it is not.

And then people say, "well, learn the language then, so that you can actually experience it as it was originally intended".
That is just stupid. Do I need to learn Korean to appreciate and prefer the native, Korean acting and emotional response in a Korean film? No.
We have grown up with subtitles. Many of us have even grown up consuming media that was NOT in our language.
You guys are spoiled and you've learned to appreciate nothing that has not been "Americanized", and anything that hasn't gone through that procedure seems alien to you. So my blood boils whenever I see "weebness" as a reason to prefer an original dub instead of a botched, half-assed English one, because it's ALWAYS American guys saying it.

Maybe some people do it for pretentiousness, but trust me, most people don't do it for that.

Oh, did I even mention how much more experienced Japanese and British voice actors are at portraying emotions through voice, because they have built a much bigger culture around voice acting than other countries through radio drama, etc? Maybe that's the reason why their acting might sometimes seem "exaggerated" to you, and masterful to me.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

SommenRider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zelda's voice seemed to convey depression and stress to me, which would be appropriate. Honestly with Japanese voices the tone wouldn't be the same to those that speak english. Even in casual conversation Japanese males have a dominating and stern tone and females have timid and soft tone. Unless you natively speak Japanese the subtlety in there tones to each situation would be lost.
I would honestly just say to experience it honestly to the original intentions of the work — in the same way one would not watch a Godard or Tartovsky film dubbed into English, if one has the option to experience the original audio track. (Conversely, no film professor ever told me I will need to have learned French or Russian for x screening.) I am making no judgement of the quality of the English voice acting, but if I can consume something as close as possible to the original authorial vision, then I'll go for that.

Ultimately for imported media, the local casting/voice directors don't have the benefit of working directly with the creators, creating a degree of separation that could be greater than that of a language barrier. (Emphasis on could: excellent English voiceovers include Cowboy Bebop and Haruhi Suzumiya, worth experiencing alongside the original.) Enteking is correct in saying
a voice transports not only the word itself but also the tone, intention and the feelings of a character.
Skilled actors can convey intention and meaning without the audience necessarily needing to understand the exact words. On the other hand, even people who natively speak languages have subtext lost on them in both fiction and real conversations. And yes, the text translation could be off either way — but if it is, at least there's the chance you can tell what's up from a disconnect between the performance you hear and what you read, as opposed to a performance tailored to a rough script, if that is what you want.

However, this method is for switching audio overall, and not specifically English -> Japanese, which is usually a feature in games! I don't know, if a young American-Japanese kid is shaky on their English still, they might prefer to be able to do this, especially since importing from Japan is relatively expensive. Even for going from English to another language could be useful - for example, people chose to change Assassin's Creed 2's voice track to Italian to better match the diegesis.

There is also the opportunity to play it twice with each language track to appreciate the strengths of both, if one wishes.

So tl;dr: yes, there may be weeb reasons for some people, but there are also more justified reasons for others. It's easy to paint everyone doing this as a weeb, but that's a disservice to them and yourself.

EDIT: yoshinatsu beat me to it!

So are we waiting for Mocha+fshax to be fixed? Use cfwbooter for now if you have a disc?

Last edited by SommenRider,
Reactions: WeedZ

gintaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed mine to the japanese dub via ftpiiu.

Impa's not making any character noises when I talk to her. Her cutscene works fine though.

Did I mess up somewhere? Not a huge problem if she's the only one like this.

MegaManTrigger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For real, I'm not expecting any American to understand that, but let's do this one more time.

I am a red, white, and blue-blooded American, born and raised. Your post could not possibly be more accurate, and I'm pretty sure I'm in total sync with the indignation I can feel oozing out of your words. If wanting the original artistic vision to be left the fuck alone classifies me as a pretentious asshat or a weeb in the eyes of some, so be it. I want what the artist created, not what someone else disconnectedly turned it into.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I want what the artist created, not what someone else disconnectedly turned it into.
That's not always the case. But somehow, it almost always the case :P
Especially if it's from companies like Namco, Koei Tecmo, or other companies which are notorious of doing really, really bad dubs, just for the sake of hearing your own language that you're familiar with. If you aren't even going to bother doing a proper job, pay up those seiyuu licenses and put the original dub in the game...

Now, Zelda isn't that bad. It's acceptable. But even if a localized dub is great, I want to consistently have the option of hearing the original language with the subtitles of my choosing, like it is on DVD/Blu-ray movies, and it boggles my mind that this bothers some people.
Why aren't we having "dub vs sub" fights for DVDs? You know why? Because on that medium, it is a given that you'll be provided with the original spoken language, even if an English dub is available. Because it is important that you are given access to it.
Why this hasn't been a standard for modern games, I have no idea. Licensing costs is a cheap excuse, and limited storage is also an invalid excuse nowadays.

And I'll leave it at that, because I feel like we're ruining FlappyFalco's thread.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1