[Tutorial] How to "Undub" Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by FlappyFalco, Mar 7, 2017.

1. MisterAlex

MisterAlex Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    I've followed the instructions (and even redid everything a second time just in case I'd missed something), but I keep getting the "sig patch" error at Step 7 (which isn't actually numbered) when I try to install.
    Did the steps change? Is there something I'm missing? I put the key in the encryptKeyWith file and even tried running NUSPacker with it in the command line. Same behavior. Am I supposed to be defining an encryptionKey value, too?

Last edited by MisterAlex, Mar 15, 2017
  2. yoshinatsu
    This message by yoshinatsu has been removed from public view by Minox, Mar 15, 2017, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Mar 15, 2017
  3. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Sorry to hear that. I haven't met that character yet.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Usually I wouldn't care, it's just that the dub for this game is awful and ruins touching moments in the story with its bad acting. Two of the champions have no previous voice acting experience from what I can see and Zelda's most notable role is background voices from the Smurfs 2 movie.

4. SteffanMitrovic

SteffanMitrovic Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2009
    United States
    Sounds like the problem I'm having. It seems that important NPC's whose 'text sounds' are dubbed over break when you do this patch. So far, this goes for Impa and Yunobo. I'm gonna try and see if I can figure out what's going on by using a difftool between de USen and JPjp folders.

5. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    It's probably these files:
    [​IMG]
    NV_Custom_Impa for example.

6. SteffanMitrovic

SteffanMitrovic Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2009
    United States
    That's what I thought too so I tried opening them but I couldn't work out how to do it. I used "Wii U Zip" but that didn't seem to extract anything.

7. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    They aren't sound files, I think they're pointers for sound files. Try replacing Impa's one with the original from your console/region and see if it fixes it I guess.

8. SteffanMitrovic

SteffanMitrovic Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2009
    United States
    Okay I tried it out and you're right on the money. I tried it with NV_Custom_Yunbou (from USen folder) and that restored the character's voice sounds. I think we're gonna have to edit these files because simply replacing these NV_Custom files with the JPjp versions doesn't do the job.

9. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah. I don't think that there's an editor for that sort of file. I haven't found one yet.
    I'd imagine that those voice files aren't too annoying anyway though. I'll set mine back to the english and have done with it.
    This is annoying since it means adding addendums to my video tutorial, but oh well.

Edit: I wonder whether we should change all .bars files back to the original, or just those few for named characters.

Looking into these .bars, they look exactly the same inside, which is odd. Unless they can't properly be analysed with these tools. They are very different sizes though. There must be something going on inside them. Hex editing may hold the key.
    [​IMG]

Looking in a hex editor, the lines start in completely different places, which is why they play funny or not at all if you swap them.

Last edited by speckxz, Mar 15, 2017
  10. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Just deleted a couple of posts due to being offtopic. This is not the topic for discussing why people want undubbed voices in their games. If you want to discuss that go make your own thread.

Any further posts on this topic will be instantly deleted.

11. SteffanMitrovic

SteffanMitrovic Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2009
    United States
    I can't even get WiiUZip to open the .bar files, it just gives me an error and then nothing happens, lol.
    What's funny to me is that most of the .bar files seem to be just pointers like you said, hence they're very small in size. But the NV_Custom ones are a lot larger so I think they hold the audio files themselves too. (but I'm just guessing here)

12. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    You need to add file rather than open. Maybe it's not actually looking at what's inside them in that case. Either way, we can't do much with them.

The .bars for all of the characters other than the big ones (Deku tree, impa, etc.) are the same in English vs Japanese.

Here's the hex for shout_mipha: [​IMG]
    It's telling us where the files for the divine beast/guardian powers are. I haven't seen any .AMTAs though and I'm wondering if EXT has anything to do with it (external maybe?)
    I'll be opening up my FTP later to copy back those english files and I'll try to see if the EXT thing is pointing to the update data or anything like that.

That said, all of the other files that have replaced the voices properly point in the same way and they work fine.

FlappyFalco likes this.
  13. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Interestingly, the update data also has the same files in the voices section, but I can't open the ones we think are causing issues with the remaining voice files. I think it's because the folders are actually empty, since I don't think they existed when I tried downloading this update data to my PC before.

[​IMG]

Edit: Redownloaded the update data and the only thing that should be in there is actually one .bars file. Curious.
    It's likely that the WiiU just creates dummy files on install so that the filestructure is kept the same. I can't download the .bars files that are showing here either, so I doubt they really exist.

FlappyFalco likes this.
  14. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    It would've been an easy money for Nintendo for a voice pack DLC of your choosing. haha.

15. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah. I doubt it would have taken much work either.

16. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    I'm fairly out of ideas at this point. I can't see where it's hiding these last few voice files from us. If someone else wants to have a look then feel free, but it seems like they're probably squirreled away in some strange archive somewhere.

17. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    On the point of .bars files. I think the demo.bars maybe work better if they're the JP ones, since those are the cutscene ones. The others should probably all remain as the English ones. I'll test later with all the english .bars and see what the cutscenes look like.

18. FlappyFalco
    OP

FlappyFalco Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~

Oct 11, 2015
    Ireland
    The deepest recesses of my mind
    I looked through the European update files and found that a single Demo146_1.bars in the "USen" folder is patched with that update. It's just the English one, the other languages are left untouched.

Does this help in any way?

19. speckxz

speckxz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    It doesn't really help, but it's odd that there's just that one. Is it present in the US version files, I wonder?

FlappyFalco likes this.
  20. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Was Japanese BotW already leaked or we still don't have files? I hate the fact that Zelda voice sounds so meh [imo] in European version.

FlappyFalco likes this.
  21. FlappyFalco
    OP

FlappyFalco Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~

Oct 11, 2015
    Ireland
    The deepest recesses of my mind
    It was leaked. It's on "that title key site". This guide will work with the files.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted