Hacking Turn your R4 DS into an M3 Simply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea I should.

It'd be nice if someone else could confirm that it actually DOES change the language.... Anyone? I tried to be REALLY precise with the tin foil, but it didn't work. :/

It won't instantly change the language, but it will allow you to put English/Chinese firmware on it, depending wether to added or removed a glob of solder. I think the pencil thingy isn't a very safe or reliable way to bridge the connection. I'd go for one of those silver conductive pens that were mentioned, or just borrow someones solder set
smile.gif
The image with instructions comes from GBATemp and was edited by me in MS Paint and Paint Shop Pro. The source isn't jjoy, but it doesn't really matter what/who is, since it's just a rather obvious 'hack' after all, so it would have been discovered sooner or later.

So in my case (with a Chinese version that I want to make American), I need to add solder to the correct contact (as outlined in the picture) and also change the software that is copied from the CD onto the card to American... is that correct?

The software copied from the CD, is that what you are referring to as "firmware" or is there actually another process for changing firmware on the device, in the fashion that you would change firmware on a cd-rom for instance?

jelbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So in my case (with a Chinese version that I want to make American), I need to add solder to the correct contact (as outlined in the picture) and also change the software that is copied from the CD onto the card to American... is that correct?
Yes.

QUOTE said:
The software copied from the CD, is that what you are referring to as "firmware" or is there actually another process for changing firmware on the device, in the fashion that you would change firmware on a cd-rom for instance?
It's actually not really firmware in the sense of the CD-ROM drive firmware you refer to. R4's website calls it 'kernel', dunno if that's a correct term. Anyway, doesn't matter, that's what you need. So, after the mod, put the latest English kernel on it by extracting them onto your MicroSD or whatever the specific instructions say (don't have an R4 myself).

wild03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick thanks for this thread changed mine to english nowÂ
smile.gif

Finally, So this means it can be done. I'm waiting for my R4, it should be English but I know of friends with the
Chinese version that might be interested.

BTW. my two cents I think every mod deserves credit, it might be useful to some, but either way doing
things different from what the manufacturer intended is what matters. Some people see LEDs mods as cool other
don't see the purpose, big deal if you don't like it, don't post. I can't believe the number of posts I had to go thru in this thread to get to the useful info.

Keep up the good work!
biggrin.gif

wild03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jeez im stuck with the third batch, chinese R4. I want an English R4, according to the pictures that cory showed, it is very possible, but I'm a little worried. I guess I'll attempt to mod it soon, but still, its going to be so hard!

It all depends on your skills with the lightsaber. I'm still waiting for my English version that is stuck in china due to the Lunar year celebration, everything is closed until the end of the week. then I imagine another week or so. so I have at least two weeks of waiting.

In any case, I imagine the pads are so small that all that is required is to heat them up a bit then touching them with solder wire to finalize the connection.

Good luck

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The solder pads are there again. Seems that they don't bother now that you can achieve the same thing with a sofatware patch.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is this nessecary?

I have a UK m3 simply running hacked R4 DS f/w and it works fine.

I've not modded the hardware in any way.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The solder pads are there again. Seems that they don't bother now that you can achieve the same thing with a sofatware patch.

...where from, if you don't mind me asking? Could it just be old stock?
Dealextreme. And I don't think it's old stock, since it doesn't have the 4 solder-pads the first batch had. It just has the one to change the language and the one to change it into a M3 simply. (and yes I've tested it, they work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You wanna do it in my wut? +1