Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutorial  Updated

Turn on a NDS (Lite) without lower or upper screen. (or convert it to a GBA DS)

Edit by moderator :
This thread is locked for plagiarized work.
It's a copy of @nitehack/m3dssimply's work you can find here : https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_tut...-ds-lite-sin-la-pantalla-superior-mod_1882054

It's not just doing a translation or rewriting, but even stilling the pictures and writing style.

This thread will be reopened if Alex4U comes to me and apologize to @nitehack, its original author, and is willing to properly give credit and specify its source.

So, basically, I was bored. And I decided to investigate someway to turn on the NDS (Lite) without the upper or lower screen.

Basically, the NDS checks if both screens are connected. If the NDS detects there is a ribbon that isn't connected or broken, the DS will just flash and turn off. Typical error with the damn F1 and F2. But this case, is with the lower or upper screen.

So, I was looking the NDS Motherboard, and I followed where is the upper and lower screen PINs.
So, here is the formula:
Nintendo DS (Lite) screen has 4 or 3 (?) Leds for the Backlight. Each one receives 3V, and the mA is 12mA. with a multimeter.
so...
R=(3V*4 Leds)/12mA =1KΩ (resistane)
So, we will use a 1K resistance!

Basically, you can use any resistance HIGHER than 1K, but I didn't tested it. I'd recommend the 1K resistance. Of course don't be so stupid using a 1M resistance.

What do you need:
*Your broken NDS or DS Lite that doesn't work the upper or lower screen.
*A 1K Resistance
*Solderess
*A brain

For the Nintendo DS:

Dissamble your NDS, and the PINs are named LEDC1 and LEDA1 (lower screen), or LEDC2 and LEDA2 (upper screen) The pins are the same on the NDS and DS Lite.
CAM00084.jpg

Get ready to start with your resistance and soldering. If you are asking for the colours, there are. Remember resistances doesn't have polarity at all.
CAM00086.jpg

In my case, my upper screen ribbon is broken, so, I will solder a resistance here. You only need to solder the resistance and that's all, you don't need to do more. It would look like this:
CAM00093.jpg

You can solder some extra cable to put the resistance where you like and don't disturb in the start and select buttons. In my case, I will not.
CAM00091.jpg

So, just test it... and Voilá! It works! of couse, without the upper screen in my case.

NOTE: If you lower screen is broken, you should solder the resistance in these PINs
mod-pa14[1].jpg

This is from the lower screen.

Just assemble it, and it works, of course, without the upper screen or lower or whatever...
CAM00112.jpg
In this case I'd recommend playing GBA or Touch Screen games only. like Pokémon Ranger, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, or some GBA games. same with the upper screen.

For the Nintendo DS Lite:
It's the same process as the DS fat, and the DS Lite motherboard doesn't changes at all.
Dissamble your DS Lite, and search for the LEDC1 and LEDA1 (lower screen), or LEDC2 and LEDA2 (upper screen).
puntos[1].png

In my case, again, I will use the lower screen again as a test. I will simulate my upper screen is broken.
This time, I will use extra cable, since there is the D-PAD and the resistance would disturb the D-PAD.
cables[1].png

Solder it carefully... and solder the resistance.
resistencia[1].png

Now try to turn it on, and Voila! It works now!
sinlcd[1].png

If you're going to turn it on with the upper screen ONLY, you should solder the resistance here:
leda110[1].jpg

Remember resistances doesn't have polarity at all.

So... I was bored again, so, eh. Hopefully this should works for someone.

Last edited by Cyan, , Reason: Added locked reason
D

Deleted User

Nice job? Haven't people done this before (making a nds lite gameboy) or did they keep on the top screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Nice, it's not new but always cool to see.

It would be great if china/some guy made housing for this, gb macro.

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
Old info, anyone can figure this out, if they couldn't - then they shouldn't be messing with their system in the first place. Want a medium-size challenge to pass your time? Hers is the system I've made couple of years ago when I was bored. You can toggle the image from the top screen to the bottom back and forth with the built-in switch. Can play both DS and GBA games.
2ds.jpg
2ds-1.jpg

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I attempted this project about 1 month ago. Couldn't even get past taking off the case because I stripped every screw, DESPITE having the correct screwdriver.

My disappointment was immeasurable, and my day was ruined.

Reactions: THYPLEX and cearp

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Old info, anyone can figure this out, if they couldn't - then they shouldn't be messing with their system in the first place. Want a medium-size challenge to pass your time? Hers is the system I've made couple of years ago when I was bored. You can toggle the image from the top screen to the bottom back and forth with the built-in switch. Can play both DS and GBA games.
View attachment 99346 View attachment 99347
gimme

MonkeyDKid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
wow, that's neat man. how to do that??

fedehda

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
we need THAT tutorial

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
A couple years ago a guy modded the bottom half of a broken DS lite to make a custom GBA, and it is a sexy beast.
IMG_20150508_153733.jpg
I want this desperately. Do you have this guy's contact info?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by duffmmann,
Reactions: PrincessLillie

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could this be done with a 3DS, I had one turn into two separate screens about a month ago and due to it not powering on from the ribbon cable not being connected I can't power it on. I have another 3DS already but it's saves on the SD card is something I want back.

MonkeyDKid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Could this be done with a 3DS, I had one turn into two separate screens about a month ago and due to it not powering on from the ribbon cable not being connected I can't power it on. I have another 3DS already but it's saves on the SD card is something I want back.
yeah we need that too on 3DS.

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
this should work for 3DS too. But I don't know if the pins are the same. I will see later.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I am selling these for like $120

that's pretty narly, i'll do that on my next!

Thanks for the Idea.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We need this, I have half of a DS that's already a GBA, but THIS?

This is beautiful. You have some great workmanship here, I need to try this out at some point.

Time to look at some DS schematics :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the Mister is cool and all, but honestly I have seen some video's exploring the...