Trying to remember the name of an old game.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by oxitran, Feb 6, 2016.

1. oxitran
    OP

oxitran GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section or whatever.

Okay so back in 1999 when I was only 5 I remember playing a game for PC that was a 3d flight shooter in the vein of star fox.
    The game had graphics similar to star fox, but was completely open rather than a on rails style.
    The view was very bad as in you only saw a small amount of the level before you ( I presume because of the power needed) Think starfox with the last bit of detail in the background blocked off by fog.
    There were mountains that you could fly into and follow paths through which had collectible power ups, of what type i do not remember.

Any help would be appreciated, I know that it is rather hard to do though being its a PC game and i dont even remember the release year or OS as of release. It was running on Win 98 though.

2. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
  3. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    Descent 3.

4. oxitran
    OP

oxitran GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    It is not any of those games sadly. I should also mention that it was not a space game, the way in which it was like starfox was primarily only in atmosphere. Hardwar is more in line with what the game was like except that the game featured significantly less detailed graphics, as in each polygon was one colour, along the lines of the andross boss from starfox but a level and not just a character face. There may have been slightly more detail, but its hard to fully remember. As for the tunnels through the mountains, they were literally just tunnels, hexagonal tunnels that would bend but did not have significant detail in them like descent does.

Also I played this game in 1999 but I feel like the game must have come out around 95 for the level of graphics it had.

5. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    Is this the game you're thinking of?

"Shock Wave"; it had an initial release for the 3D0 in the 1990s, then moved to PS1 and PC.

6. TanookiSuit

TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

Nov 11, 2004
    United States
    Louisville, KY
    http://www.gog.com/game/terminal_velocity

Terminal Velocity. 3D shooter, not on rails, feels kind of like Starfox. Has mountains, draw distance isn't deep, interior and exterior base/valley areas (like star fox too) including the hexagonal tunnels. Played the hell out of this in the earlier 90s. I keep intending to buy it on GoG but I have no idea why I haven't yet other than time.

7. oxitran
    OP

oxitran GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    So not any of those either, but terminal velocity is very similar. I did a mock up in 3ds max of what I remember of it, the render isn't one to one, the game had fog to block of the bad view distance and was more pixelated and had slightly more detail with collectible items scattered around at sparse intervals[​IMG].
    The world itself was amazingly large and had a lot of variation in mountain shape, height, and tunnel types. It also had a lot of terrain variation in the terms of height but the base textures remained the same, grass with grey mountains.
    [​IMG]

8. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    You are certain it was a PC game and not emulated from a console?

9. oxitran
    OP

oxitran GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    I'am certain, I was very young, too young to know anything about emulation. It was the first pc game that I used my gamepad to play because I didn't like the mouse controls. It must be very obscure because no matter how hard I have looked I still cant find it. But I'am sure my memory of it is pretty accurate as i have found other old games from my childhood using these forums.

10. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Rural Queensland
    Fury 3

Great game. Well the demo was.

11. oxitran
    OP

oxitran GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    I dont think it was Fury3, but looking up that game led me to terminal velocity, which is so close to the game I remembered that it must be it. I'am not 100% percent on it, I wish this type of game was definable so I could search through a list of games from the genre. If anyone knows any other game like Fury3 ot Terminal Velocity then please let me know, and thank you Laudern :)