Games that are too "old" and "unplayable" for you?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I've been downloading roms of retro consoles and I reached Game Boy (went from GBA, GBC, to GB), but actually playing it now it's just not "connecting" with me.

I grew up playing Game Boy and had one for a very long time though I just don't find it very playable compared to Game Boy Color. GBC was more powerful and in color so that certainly helped GBC shine rather than: "It's just GB in color."

That said, I played Pokémon Blue so much that's a game I wouldn't mind going back to and what's more, there's a color mod now for the game so it's been made even better. :)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried using the different colour palettes for GB games? It's obviously not a full colourisation, but I remember messing around with these when I was young on my GBC/GBA.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried using the different colour palettes for GB games? It's obviously not a full colourisation, but I remember messing around with these when I was young on my GBC/GBA.
I have to try that.

Wario Land's color hack looks great so that bump in color made the game that much better.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have to try that.

Wario Land's color hack looks great so that bump in color made the game that much better.
Many of the color choices used are not that great TBH... It needs a lot of work, tweaks, and polish. Many of the colors are far too dark for the scene, or too intense. If coloring GB games was an easy task, I'd strive for a making the definitive version. It's one of my favorite games, and I feel like the person that colored it massacred my boy...

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree about Atari 2600 original Gameboy because they're just hard to even look at but I hate when someone says a 10-15 even 20 year old game "hasn't aged well" I'm pretty sure games are the exact same they were when they came out it's us that change not the game. It's not like a girl you knew in High School that you see again when she's 40.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I've been downloading roms of retro consoles and I reached Game Boy (went from GBA, GBC, to GB), but actually playing it now it's just not "connecting" with me.

I grew up playing Game Boy and had one for a very long time though I just don't find it very playable compared to Game Boy Color. GBC was more powerful and in color so that certainly helped GBC shine rather than: "It's just GB in color."

That said, I played Pokémon Blue so much that's a game I wouldn't mind going back to and what's more, there's a color mod now for the game so it's been made even better. :)

Oldest games I've enjoyed were ZX Specturm titles. Though that was really only the ones made by Ultimate Play The Game aka Rare.

GAPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the above post about the Gameboy. I really like the GameBoy but I would sooner play on an emulator than on an emulator than on the actual console. I am sure that Atari 2600 is a good console too but I am not sure if I can play those games.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
brick game 999in1, I know tetris is popular but that blocks graphics and beep sounds is just appealing to play tetris on a gameboy that never gets old, and maybe watara supervision, lcd ghosting should be better, games too.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
brick game 999in1, I know tetris is popular but that blocks graphics and beep sounds is just appealing to play tetris on a gameboy that never gets old, and maybe watara supervision, lcd ghosting should be better, games too.
Or those cheap POPStation devices with billions of useless e-waste everywhere, and the exact same game.

nintendo_leaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Older Fire Emblem games are hard to play because you can't highlight attack ranges and HP bars aren't displayed on the map. It's so much easier to miss something and get a unit killed. They're not unplayable but harder to return to.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many NES titles have a punishing difficulty for no reason that ruins the fun a bit (especially true for many RPGs that end up being total grindfests, like mother 1)

Many Gameboy games are too simplistic to enjoy anymore, although there are still a ton of fun games

PS1 games that went full 3d early on look very bad now (FFVII) and are less enjoyable than their 2d counterparts (FFVI)

nintendo_leaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Many NES titles have a punishing difficulty for no reason that ruins the fun a bit (especially true for many RPGs that end up being total grindfests, like mother 1)

Many Gameboy games are too simplistic to enjoy anymore, although there are still a ton of fun games

PS1 games that went full 3d early on look very bad now (FFVII) and are less enjoyable than their 2d counterparts (FFVI)
The punishing difficulty is part of what makes some old NES games still fun to play today like Castlevania. You're right that grindy RPGs are fucking boring.
If I remember correctly, there is a hack which optimizes it to run better on original hardware

Reactions: Marc_LFD and x65943

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mt Itoi was the big problem in Mother 1. Itoi even said during development when it came to balancing that area they just gave up.

Reactions: x65943

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They need to remake FFVI, instead the next one they're remaking apparently is 9.

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto