Gaming trying to install a windows 98 game on a windows 7 computer.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are going to have to be specific about what game it is.

I tried extensively to get a Windows 98 game called Starship Titanic (created by Douglas Adams of HHGTTG fame) and I couldn't even manage it when I ultimately set up Windows XP dual-boot. Some games that old require obsolete codecs (that was my problem) whose current codecs aren't backwards compatible, or there are any number of other issues.

The first thing you should do is find out if other people have gotten the specific Windows 98 game working in Vista or Windows 7 before you give it a shot. If that information is hard to find, you can try installing it in compatibility mode (Right click and set certain properties before running the setup EXE file) and running the game exclusively in compatibility mode.

If you have serious issues you may be able to run the game in a Virtual Machine, but that is a far more complicated process than I've described so far.

edit: Or Rydian can ninja into the thread and throw out a great response too. I'm going to go watch NCIS since he seems to have this forum covered :P

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well let me be more clear i'm trying to install south park which runs on windows 98... and would dos box help or no?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dos box is almost, if not the same, as a virtual machine but it's designed for games, I didn't know about it until this thread.. so I'd look into their site, see if anyone's confirmed South Park as working w/it.

I'm going to try it with Starship Titanic in the indistinct future after I resurrect my archive from disc storage.. I'd given up on it. I didn't have the HDD space to keep the dual boot on my laptop after I failed getting it running in XP.

DJPlace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i rember installing it on windows XP and it was fine i wonder if 7 or vista killed it...

it's just South Park.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i rember installing it on windows XP and it was fine i wonder if 7 or vista killed it...

it's just South Park.
like I said, it depends on the game.. the less external software the game itself requires to run (such as video codecs with Starship Titanic), the more likely it'll work in a particular compatibility mode in Win7.

DJPlace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if i said this but i don't rember... when i run it and click install it just closes for some reason like vanish

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Like previously said, it's hard to say without the specific tittle... Have you tried running in compability mode?
Sometimes it actually does help... Since it's a game for windows 98, it's not really that old... Meh... It's hard without all the info. D=

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it really correct that you are failing already at installation? I read some comments on a torrent for the game and it seems like everyone else is able to install it fine on Windows XP and above, but once installed it can't be run except on Windows 9x.

I tried extensively to get a Windows 98 game called Starship Titanic (created by Douglas Adams of HHGTTG fame) and I couldn't even manage it when I ultimately set up Windows XP dual-boot. Some games that old require obsolete codecs (that was my problem) whose current codecs aren't backwards compatible, or there are any number of other issues.
Old obsolete codecs can be a very annoying problem when trying to play old games indeed, but sometimes the older version of the codec(s) required to play can be easily found. For Starship Titanic I simply downloaded this DLL linked on a torrent page and (after putting it together with its .INF in the game folder) it worked fine. This was on XP (SP3, above SP2 where this and several other codecs were updated causing incompatability).

DJPlace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well this is odd has soon has i closed my google chorme browser it let me installed it which is werid i wonder why...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

Did you see this topic when you were battling the install?
http://forums.techguy.org/games/877759-running-starship-titanic-windows-7-a.html

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/topic/233185-starship-titanic

So re: to those who asked me, that thread describes the problems I had but I don't have the time to try again, for probably until January.
And I think the reason I just went directly to dual booting XP is because I use 64-bit Win7 and that game seemed to have more success stories of running in XP than anything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.