Hacking Trimming games for AK2? Saving microsd space...

CoconutCake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please keep in mind I'm a newbie, and I don't have my AK2 yet. I only have an old G6 Lite. On my G6 Lite, there is some Windows software that trims the ROMs before copying it to the G6.

How do you trim ROMs to save space on the micro SD? Is there some application to do this?

Also, on an 8GB msdhc card, how many games (on average of course) do you think could fit?

Thanks.

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Hello. There are rom trimming programs out there, but i wouldnt bother if i was you. You dont really need to with an 8GB card.

Also, ive got an Acekard2 with a 4GB card and can fit around 50 (untrimmed) games on there. So with an 8GB, i assume you should be able to fit like 100-150 games on there.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
lee1978 said:
Hello. There are rom trimming programs out there, but i wouldnt bother if i was you. You dont really need to with an 8GB card.

Also, ive got an Acekard2 with a 4GB card and can fit around 50 (untrimmed) games on there. So with an 8GB, i assume you should be able to fit like 100-150 games on there.

I remember having a 1GB microSD with my R4DS, and could put 20 trimmed DS games on that + some emulators and homebrew.
And it's true that with a 8GB microSD you don't really have to trim, it's massive !

CoconutCake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your replies, this forum is awesome.

I already dl'ed NDSTokyoTrim, and it's great. I'm already trimming all my games. I know 8GB is a TON of space, but I like to optimize things! :-)

How much space does AK2 use for support files for each game? Like the save files and stuff?

stealthfire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Here's what I know:

Each save file is 512KB unless if the game requires a bigger save file size.

CC(cheat) file is quite small but ranges depending on how many cheats there are. So far, none of my cc file are over 20kb in size, but then again, I don't have alot of cheat files beacuse i hardly use cheats.

The firmware is about 9-10MB without the cheat files(the .DAT and .XML files) from narin's cheat database. More if you have the cheat files.

Skins, I don't know. Depends on skin. I think they are around 300KB.

NDSAK2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know about the stock AK2 firmware, but AKAIO trims roms automatically when you copy them. I think you need to enable it in the menu but it works great.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, what? That's utter rubbish. Decent ROM trimmers don't touch the Download Play code at all (I know for a fact dslash, the Linux trimmer, displays the space used by the Download play data).
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LPrmtVWsA