Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'll give that a shot. I just got the legacy boot.firm. What would be the next step to setting up an older verion of luma safely?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry to be such a noob. I realized that replacing the boot.firm file with an older version of Luma should do the trick. Time to test your theory.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, it was a great idea but I run into the exact same issues. It still crashes upon browser exploit and homebrew exploit. Any other ideas?
Did you try it from Rosalina with Luma 8.1.1 like I originally suggested? Also if trying browserhax make sure to use the OLD boot.3dsx not the newer one

Last edited by Quantumcat,

phill122004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try this from emunand? I believe that these exploits don‘t work if running them from emunand. It has been a while but I think I struggled with same issues.

Just downgrade your 3ds sysnand to 9.2.0 (with browser) and use the web exploit to load launcher.dat for your supercard. For this to work you dont even need luma/cfw if you remove b9s. In worst case if b9s is removed, you can just reinstall it in under 5 minutes.
At least the legacy builds of luma should support exploits. I can confirm that at least they worked with menuhax until 6/17.
I would help you converting the saves since i have a gw card and a 9.2 sysnand but i lend the 3ds a friend and I wont get it back until next year.

Please dont use the newer launcher.dat provided for gateway cards. You‘ll risk bricking your 3ds and recovering fromthat brick is pretty difficult. I never read that the brickcode was removed.

One more thing though: you must load the saves with your supercard/gw and the corresponding cfw (launcher.dat) to access them. There are no public ways to convert them without the cards. The saves are encrypted with an unknown pseudokey(+gameheader of the rom if ending is .3dz). So converting them without gw/supercard and its cfw is not possible.
Did you try this from emunand? I believe that these exploits don‘t work if running them from emunand. It has been a while but I think I struggled with same issues.

Just downgrade your 3ds sysnand to 9.2.0 (with browser) and use the web exploit to load launcher.dat for your supercard. For this to work you dont even need luma/cfw if you remove b9s. In worst case if b9s is removed, you can just reinstall it in under 5 minutes.
At least the legacy builds of luma should support exploits. I can confirm that at least they worked with menuhax until 6/17.
I would help you converting the saves since i have a gw card and a 9.2 sysnand but i lend the 3ds a friend and I wont get it back until next year.

Please dont use the newer launcher.dat provided for gateway cards. You‘ll risk bricking your 3ds and recovering fromthat brick is pretty difficult. I never read that the brickcode was removed.

One more thing though: you must load the saves with your supercard/gw and the corresponding cfw (launcher.dat) to access them. There are no public ways to convert them without the cards. The saves are encrypted with an unknown pseudokey(+gameheader of the rom if ending is .3dz). So converting them without gw/supercard and its cfw is not possible.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I was thinking, "What if I removed B9S and Luma to get the saves and then reinstalled after". Does this mean I need to Uninstall the entire CFW back to stock? What would be the best way to uninstall B9S, transfer the Gateway saves, and then restore everything back to the newest version of Luma and B9S?

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for the lengthy reply. I was thinking, "What if I removed B9S and Luma to get the saves and then reinstalled after". Does this mean I need to Uninstall the entire CFW back to stock? What would be the best way to uninstall B9S, transfer the Gateway saves, and then restore everything back to the newest version of Luma and B9S?

Second paragraph of my reply ;) im not sure whats the best way though, my informations are from 2015. but I believe decrypt9 and a ctrtransfer image of 9.2.0 (with browser) is everything you need. Use a new sd card so you won‘t boot or downgrade accidently emunand. Decrypt9 asks you if you want to overwrite the firm partition while downgrading —which you will— to remove b9s. After downgrade boot into stock 9.2.0 and setup your supercard with browser exploit.
After extracting the saves with a homebrew of your choice just follow 3ds.guide again to reinstall b9s. Since you are on the right fw, it wont take long.

For more information please consult older versions of 3ds.guide for detailed informations.

Last edited by GothicIII,

phill122004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a few guides on removing Luma and B9S and I think that is what I will do, but I want to confirm that it doesn't load the newest system firm on there when everything gets wiped but loads the stock firmware that came with the 2DS. My 2DS stock was on 4.something and I'll be able to setup homebrew easily that way. Does anyone know and can confirm I wont be updating to the newest System Firm?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I found a few guides on removing Luma and B9S and I think that is what I will do, but I want to confirm that it doesn't load the newest system firm on there when everything gets wiped but loads the stock firmware that came with the 2DS. My 2DS stock was on 4.something and I'll be able to setup homebrew easily that way. Does anyone know and can confirm I wont be updating to the newest System Firm?
Have you tried running Gateway from Rosalina yet? If so, you won't have to uninstall anything.
You'll need to be on 9.0-11.3 to run the homebrew launcher (without B9S) but you won't need it (just saying this since you mentioned homebrew and you were in 4.x).
Get the .3ds version of FBI so you can install JKSM and be able to extract your save files while in Gateway mode.

phill122004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried running Gateway from Rosalina yet? If so, you won't have to uninstall anything.
You'll need to be on 9.0-11.3 to run the homebrew launcher (without B9S) but you won't need it (just saying this since you mentioned homebrew and you were in 4.x).
Get the .3ds version of FBI so you can install JKSM and be able to extract your save files while in Gateway mode.

I haven't tried that yet because we were afraid running Gateway 3dsx on the super card could possible brick my 2DS. I can't attempt this unless someone can confirm it would be fine. Do you know Quantumcat or know anyone that might have more input?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I haven't tried that yet because we were afraid running Gateway 3dsx on the super card could possible brick my 2DS. I can't attempt this unless someone can confirm it would be fine. Do you know Quantumcat or know anyone that might have more input?
Oh right I forgot that was only introduced in 3.6 something. Hmm. Uninstalling should be fine, just be on 9.0-9.2 first (can use CTR transfer) and your emuNAND can't be higher than 10.2 (? I think) on old 3DS or 9.5 on N3DS for the old launcher compatible with the DS Two + to work. Good luck!!

P.S. Before you actually do uninstall it - have a google for a Luma version that has absolutely no patches in it - it might let you use the browser entry method without uninstalling B9S. I don't remember if it was just talked about or actually created though

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Please read the posts carefully and ask the right questions. You are running around in circles and don‘t make sense at all or are you confused with everything? E.g. you dont use a „gateway 3dsx“. Nobody told you that. If you would just follow what informations me and quantumcat posted, you would have converted your saves already and could move on with life.

You cant do anything wrong. Just dont use launcher.dat from gw page and downgrade your sysnand. This is really not a difficult task to do. Even if you remove b9s there is nothhing to worry about. Your console will work without it and will be still exploitable.

Before anything else make a backup of your emunand partition and sysnand partition with decrypt9/godmode9 then downgrade your sysnand. Then we’ll see what works and what not. From there we can work on.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Please read the posts carefully and ask the right questions. You are running around in circles and don‘t make sense at all or are you confused with everything? E.g. you dont use a „gateway 3dsx“. Nobody told you that. If you would just follow what informations me and quantumcat posted, you would have converted your saves already and could move on with life.

You cant do anything wrong. Just dont use launcher.dat from gw page and downgrade your sysnand. This is really not a difficult task to do. Even if you remove b9s there is nothhing to worry about. Your console will work without it and will be still exploitable.

Before anything else make a backup of your emunand partition and sysnand partition with decrypt9/godmode9 then downgrade your sysnand. Then we’ll see what works and what not. From there we can work on.
You're missing the point here a bit. DS Two + is a Gateway clone and there is a risk of bricking if he uses a launcher.dat that is too recent (after 3.4.2 I believe). So, he can't boot into it using the Gateway.bin B9S/A9LH method through a Luma payload (just to double check, @phill122004 , you did try that, with an older launcher.dat, right? Link here) and he can't use the one that you can launch into with the 3dsx because that started in version 3.6 or so. Probably read the whole thread before coming in with opinions.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You're missing the point here a bit. DS Two + is a Gateway clone and there is a risk of bricking if he uses a launcher.dat that is too recent (after 3.4.2 I believe). So, he can't boot into it using the Gateway.bin B9S/A9LH method through a Luma payload (just to double check, @phill122004 , you did try that, with an older launcher.dat, right? Link here) and he can't use the one that you can launch into with the 3dsx because that started in version 3.6 or so. Probably read the whole thread before coming in with opinions.

You clearly misread my post, too. I explicitly wrote that he musnt use the launcher.dat from gw homepage. If he downgrades to 9.2.0 with decrypt9 and uses his dstwo+ to load the cfw (sysnand) through browserhax, he can just use fbi to install sdf or equivalent and extract his saves. Thats all and it would take only 10 min. After that he can reinstall b9s which involves only running the installer because he is on a exploitable fw.

Easiest method and doesnt involve luma which sucks with older exploits. I myself use an ancient luma version where menuhax is working but incannot provide the files because I gave it away and dont have access to it atm.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You clearly misread my post, too. I explicitly wrote that he musnt use the launcher.dat from gw homepage. If he downgrades to 9.2.0 with decrypt9 and uses his dstwo+ to load the cfw (sysnand) through browserhax, he can just use fbi to install sdf or equivalent and extract his saves. Thats all and it would take only 10 min. After that he can reinstall b9s which involves only running the installer because he is on a exploitable fw.

Easiest method and doesnt involve luma which sucks with older exploits. I myself use an ancient luma version where menuhax is working but incannot provide the files because I gave it away and dont have access to it atm.
Pray tell where is he going to get a launcher.dat that isn't from Gateway's website? As far as I know it has not been reverse engineered yet so there's no custom versions around available to download from elsewhere.

If you read the replies you'll see that the browser method did not work while on Luma. He has already said he is going to uninstall CFW so that he can use the browser entry method. Nothing you're saying is adding anything to the conversation.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I cannot access gateway mode anymore since I setup Luma 3DS and Boot9strap. I updated to the most current firmware after I set up Luma and Bootstrap. The only way the Super Card could access gateway mode was using the internet browser exploit on a lower firmware. I have all the .sav files but havent figured out how to transfer them to the cias.
Have you tried SC's "freegame" CFW? It has an arm9loaderhax.bin payload that you might be able to load from B9S using a chainloader (there are some like BootCtr9 that can load .bin payloads from B9S)
You'll need an older emuNAND as the newest firmware isn't supported, but that's easily doable by creating an emuNAND then flashing a ctrtransfer image to it.

Reactions: Quantumcat

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pray tell where is he going to get a launcher.dat that isn't from Gateway's website? As far as I know it has not been reverse engineered yet so there's no custom versions around available to download from elsewhere.

If you read the replies you'll see that the browser method did not work while on Luma. He has already said he is going to uninstall CFW so that he can use the browser entry method. Nothing you're saying is adding anything to the conversation.

Just trying to help because I have much experience with that stuff. He should use the launcher.dat provided with the dstwo+ because i dont know which version it is the dstwo+ supports. Good luck trying it with luma there are just 1000 different versions and each breaks compatibility with older exploits on its own way. If my help isnt appreciated I‘ll leave then.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just trying to help because I have much experience with that stuff. He should use the launcher.dat provided with the dstwo+ because i dont know which version it is the dstwo+ supports. Good luck trying it with luma there are just 1000 different versions and each breaks compatibility with older exploits on its own way. If my help isnt appreciated I‘ll leave then.
I'm sorry I didn't mean to be mean!!!
Please accept my apologies. Something I need to work on.

Reactions: GothicIII

phill122004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to be such a bother, I really am close to finishing this and you guys won't have to see this post keep popping up. I uninstalled B9S and Luma and got the 2ds back to 9.2. Gateway boots fine now through the browser. I need to install a CFW so that I can run FBI and install the cias that I need to backup my saves (CTRXplorer.cia and JKSM.cia). The problem is, I cannot figure out a CFW that isn't outdated. Everything keeps trying to take me to Luma and B9S all over again. I tried installing the CIAs through FBI but it fails without a CFW. What should I do next?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry to be such a bother, I really am close to finishing this and you guys won't have to see this post keep popping up. I uninstalled B9S and Luma and got the 2ds back to 9.2. Gateway boots fine now through the browser. I need to install a CFW so that I can run FBI and install the cias that I need to backup my saves (CTRXplorer.cia and JKSM.cia). The problem is, I cannot figure out a CFW that isn't outdated. Everything keeps trying to take me to Luma and B9S all over again. I tried installing the CIAs through FBI but it fails without a CFW. What should I do next?
Do what I suggested before, and use FBI.3ds to install JKSM so you can follow the tutorial to extract the saves. FBI.3ds should be at https://github.com/steveice10/fbi/releases (in the zip) and JKSM.cia at https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Gateway is a cfw. You dont need to load another one. You just need to run homebrews. You can either do as quantumcat says or you use a fbi.3ds copied on the sd card in your dstwoplus and load it with the select button in homemenu. (Easier than setting up homebrew)
With fbi you can install .cia and run them from a home menu icon.

Edit: ups its the same suggestion as quantumcat. Sorry for redudant info.

Reactions: Quantumcat

phill122004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway is a cfw. You dont need to load another one. You just need to run homebrews. You can either do as quantumcat says or you use a fbi.3ds copied on the sd card in your dstwoplus and load it with the select button in homemenu. (Easier than setting up homebrew)
With fbi you can install .cia and run them from a home menu icon.

Edit: ups its the same suggestion as quantumcat. Sorry for redudant info.

Well guys, I finally did it. I got everything transferred over and then followed the 3ds guide to get back to B9s and Luma. One quick note for anyone who might use this thread in the future. When I was trying to transfer the gateway saves over, I ran into an issue with JKSM when it came to exporting the cartridge saves. Because I launched Gateway with freegame.dat, JKSM kept giving me an error that it could not find an archive. I shutdown and loaded gateway with the classic browser exploit and launcher.dat and JKSM found my saves on Gateway. Thank you for all of your help with this. I know it might not seem like a bid deal, but it means a lot to have all of my saves restored.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...