Trails of Cold Steel series to be ported to PC

Prominent video game localizer, XSEED, has put out a press release detailing their future plans for the Legend of Heroes series of games. First off, Trails of Cold Steel I (originally released for PS Vita and PS3) will be coming to PC this summer. If that's not enough to sway you, the game will be getting graphical updates, and 5,000 more lines of translated dialogue, 50% more than the original release. The sequel, Trails of Cold Steel II will also be ported to PC, later down the line. XSEED also revealed that Trails in the Sky the 3rd will receive the same PC treatment, (and is apparently to be a PC exclusive) and will release in the west on May 3. You can view the video above to see the PC and PS3 visual comparisons for Cold Steel.

You can read GBAtemp's official review of the original release HERE.

Critically Acclaimed New ‘Trails’ Arc Coming to PC This Summer, and Highly Anticipated Final Entry in the ‘Trails in the Sky’ Trilogy of Nihon Falcom JRPGs to Delight PC Gamers on May 3

Torrance, Calif. — April 7, 2017 — XSEED Games, the independent-minded console publishing brand of Marvelous USA, Inc., today revealed its plans to bring The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, the start of a new story arc in Nihon Falcom’s acclaimed series of roleplaying games, to Windows PC this summer with 50% more lines of English voiceover dialogue. XSEED Games also re-confirmed that the highly anticipated, final entry in the Trails in the Sky arc of The Legend of Heroes series, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd, will see its first English-language release via Windows PC, which has now been revealed for a May 3rd launch. Additionally, the company announced that The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II will also see an eventual Windows PC release.

To celebrate today’s announcement, XSEED Games has released the very first Windows PC assets for Trails of Cold Steel, including a brief comparison video between the Windows PC and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system versions as well as screenshots for Trails in the Sky the 3rd. More information on both titles can be found below.

About The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Originally released for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system in 2015, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel will make its debut on Windows PC this summer with over 5,000 new lines of voiceover dialogue (approximately a 50% increase).

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel builds on Nihon Falcom’s beloved Trails franchise, improving on the series’ formula while delivering an expertly told, standalone narrative that both series fans and newcomers alike will enjoy. Taking place on the same continent as fan-favorite Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel further explores Erebonia and gives players a chance to delve deep into the inner political conflicts of this oft-mentioned and powerful empire. Players take on the role of elite military students at a time of great turmoil, who enjoy school life as they bond with fellow students to earn new abilities in battle, and then utilize those abilities via tactical turn-based combat. In between skirmishes, players can upgrade their party members with the “ARCUS” system – a streamlined version of the classic “Orbment” magic system from previous titles – allowing for greater access to abilities and quicker customization.

:arrow: GBAtemp Press Inbox

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe a ps4 port is highly possible and likely. my reasoning is that these games has a carry over feature from the last game. if the 3rd comes out on ps4 then that would mean they will remove the feature or port the first 2 and keep the feature. unless they plan something evil like telling you you wanna carry over you need a vita and cross save but that won't happen.

Trails in the sky 2 and 3 are practically continuations, and even if there were a carry over trails 2 was originally released for the psp. Unless they release the whole trilogy there is not much reason for that feature.

That being said, I don't see a psp save file carrying over to a ps4 game. Just seems unlikely

Last edited by s157,

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trails in the sky 2 and 3 are practically continuations, and even if there were a carry over trails 2 was originally released for the psp. Unless they release the whole trilogy there is not much reason for that feature.

That being said, I don't see a psp save file carrying over to a ps4 game. Just seems unlikely
Wrong game brudda. Trails in the sky and trails of cold steel are different games. Cold Steel 1 and 2 were ps3/vita titles with cross save and carry over feature.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong game brudda. Trails in the sky and trails of cold steel are different games. Cold Steel 1 and 2 were ps3/vita titles with cross save and carry over feature.

I was referring to trails in the sky. 1-2 are psp games. 3 is a psp game too but apparently will only get a PC release as far as localization goes. A ps4 port, which is what you want, is highly unlikely because then they'll have to port the entire trilogy if you want that carry-over feature, which is your reasoning that it will come to ps4. I could be mistaken but I've yet to see a ps4 game that could carry over data from a psp game. If you wanted to see a trails of cold steel as a ps4 port, that could happen as trails of cold steel 3 will be on the ps4, but chances are that's a long way off.

EDIT: The trails in the sky series were re-released for the PS3 and vita, but considering not even Japan has ported it for the ps4 over the past two years that followed that release, I highly doubt we'll get it.

Last edited by s157,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This means it is coming to PS4 and X1 as well as these consoles are basically PC's.
But of course!
Exactly the same as Steins;Gate 0, Tales of Berseria, Nier Automata, Yowamari Night Alone, Danganronpa, etc.
Just after they came to PC, I am playing them on my XB1 all the time! /s

Burai-ha

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But of course!
Exactly the same as Steins;Gate 0, Tales of Berseria, Nier Automata, Yowamari Night Alone, Danganronpa, etc.
Just after they came to PC, I am playing them on my XB1 all the time! /s

To be fair, Steins;Gate 0 has actually been ported to XB1:lol:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To be fair, Steins;Gate 0 has actually been ported to XB1:lol:
Nice to know. I hope they release it soon in English so I can buy it.
I've been "playing" it in an erm... borrowed hacked up and translated PC version emulated through wine, kind of, and I don't like doing that really.

Reactions: uyjulian

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was referring to trails in the sky. 1-2 are psp games. 3 is a psp game too but apparently will only get a PC release as far as localization goes. A ps4 port, which is what you want, is highly unlikely because then they'll have to port the entire trilogy if you want that carry-over feature, which is your reasoning that it will come to ps4. I could be mistaken but I've yet to see a ps4 game that could carry over data from a psp game. If you wanted to see a trails of cold steel as a ps4 port, that could happen as trails of cold steel 3 will be on the ps4, but chances are that's a long way off.

EDIT: The trails in the sky series were re-released for the PS3 and vita, but considering not even Japan has ported it for the ps4 over the past two years that followed that release, I highly doubt we'll get it.
Nah bud they are not. Trail in the sky and trail of cold steel are 2 different set of unrelated games. Sky is still psp exclusive. While steel is ps3 and vita

Burai-ha

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nah bud they are not. Trail in the sky and trail of cold steel are 2 different set of unrelated games. Sky is still psp exclusive. While steel is ps3 and vita

Mmm, no. Sora no Kiseki was never a PSP exclusive to begin with. It was first released on PC, ported to PSP two years later, and then ported to PS3 and Vita(Evolution) sometime later. This all happened in Japan, obviously. In the west we got the PSP version and an enhanced PC port.

Last edited by Burai-ha,

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's not my point. Also sky isn't PSP exclusive, as apparently it's been ported to the ps3 and psvita according to the wikipedia article. Here's where you can buy the 3rd game of sky:
http://www.play-asia.com/eiyuu-densetsu-sora-no-kiseki-the-3rd-kai-hd-edition/13/706agf

Let's take a look at your 1st post:
i believe a ps4 port is highly possible and likely. my reasoning is that these games has a carry over feature from the last game. if the 3rd comes out on ps4 then that would mean they will remove the feature or port the first 2 and keep the feature. unless they plan something evil like telling you you wanna carry over you need a vita and cross save but that won't happen.

First of all, if the 3rd came to ps4, like you say, they would either have to port the first the first two or remove the feature. The reason I quoted you here is that this is NOT a reason at all to bring it over to the ps4. Why on earth would a carry-over feature be a reason to get a port to a system where there's nothing to carry over?

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is alot of misinformation in this post. The games are not unrelated, Trails of Cold Steel is a separate arc of games but it is a continuation of the story in Trails in the sky, as well as the unlocalized titles Zero and Ao no Kiseki. Furthermore, there are ps3 and vita ports of the sky trilogy, with the PS3 ports being Sora no Kiseki FC, SC, and the 3rd Kai HD. They are the same games as on PSP but with 1080p assets that were later used in the English PC versions of those games. The vita versions are the Sora no Kiseki evolution trilogy which feature gameplay changes, new portraits, full voice acting, and an edited soundtrack. They are quite frankly inferior and will never be coming west so I wouldn't bother with them unless you want a new way to play the game. Zero and Ao no Kiseki also have evolution versions but they only have the voice acting and soundtrack changes so they can be beneficial if your Japanese isn't very good since they games aren't in english at all. A PS4 port of Cold Steel is highly unlikely unless Falcom wishes to do it themselves because these PC ports are being made by XSeed themselves and they are very limited in resources.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
There is alot of misinformation in this post. The games are not unrelated, Trails of Cold Steel is a separate arc of games but it is a continuation of the story in Trails in the sky, as well as the unlocalized titles Zero and Ao no Kiseki. Furthermore, there are ps3 and vita ports of the sky trilogy, with the PS3 ports being Sora no Kiseki FC, SC, and the 3rd Kai HD. They are the same games as on PSP but with 1080p assets that were later used in the English PC versions of those games. The vita versions are the Sora no Kiseki evolution trilogy which feature gameplay changes, new portraits, full voice acting, and an edited soundtrack. They are quite frankly inferior and will never be coming west so I wouldn't bother with them unless you want a new way to play the game. Zero and Ao no Kiseki also have evolution versions but they only have the voice acting and soundtrack changes so they can be beneficial if your Japanese isn't very good since they games aren't in english at all. A PS4 port of Cold Steel is highly unlikely unless Falcom wishes to do it themselves because these PC ports are being made by XSeed themselves and they are very limited in resources.
Porting PhyreEngine games is easy... However, the other steps to publishing a game might be too costly to XSeed right now.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks promising... but one concern comes to mind almost immediately.

Japanese developer studios, especially those from a console/handheld/mobile background, almost always commit the worst sins when it comes to porting their games to PC, with everything from:
  • Meaningless framerate locks
  • Unconfigurable controls
  • Resolution locks
  • Inability to work on keyboard and mouse (often times requiring the additional purchase of a controller intended for the console it came from)
  • Flat out refusing to fix pre-launch and launch issues at all
Is this one of those studios? Or is this a studio that actually gives a damn about making a good release on PC?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up